Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    7/30/2006 4:54pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IzzyDaHedgehog
    I know what you're thinking: did he shoot six shots, or only five?
    Honestly I don't remember. I just on the range and I was loading my 9mm. I was listen to the pops of the 9mm and .40 and a few .45 when I heard an explosion. I jumped a bit and turn to my right. There was a guy with a huge fucking revovler. I asked him later what he was shooting he said it was a .44 magnum.

Posted On:
    7/30/2006 5:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

DO YA FEEL LUCKY? WELL, DO YA.....PUNK???
    :new_all_c

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    7/30/2006 6:35pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am SO glad that someone got that.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Posted On:
    7/30/2006 8:04pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know what you're thinking: did he shoot six shots, or only five?
    If that's considered obscure where you are, you have my sympathy.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2006 8:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plyometrics.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    7/30/2006 9:34pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian
    If that's considered obscure where you are, you have my sympathy.
    It's not, but apparently it is to pl4zM4
    Last edited by IzzyDaHedgehog; 7/30/2006 9:35pm at . Reason: stupid 1337 speak name
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Posted On:
    7/30/2006 10:53pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not, but apparently it is to pl4zM4
    I figured he must have gotten it since his story revolved around a .44 magnum.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 12:54am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never been formally trained in marksmanship, just some basic gun safety from being in the navy which didn't amount to much, so I learned to shoot the hard way (I still wouldn't say I'm very good). One thing I found that utterly fucks up my aim is tension. You want to shoot well SO bad and you consentrate SO hard that it's detrimental to your aim. Next time you go to the range, try to relax as much as possible as you're shooting. It worked wonders for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 6:34am

Style: ex-TKD 2 Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just do the same thing every time. And make the holes in the paper close together.
    Then ask someone what throws your groups to the left/right/high/low whatever.

Shooting consistantly WAY low is from flinching on recoil. Hitting consistantly far right is from yanking the trigger , Hitting left is from pushing the trigger ( sideways ).

Get a revolver , or borrow one. Load 2 or 3 spent casing with the live ammo , spin the cylinder like Russian Roullete and shoot the target. if the gun jumps and only says "click" it will teach you more about your mistakes faster than all the experts you're meeting.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 7:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. New guys like Robstafarian are almost always very good. Keep shooting and you'll probably feel like you're losing your touch as you start working too hard at it, but if you stick with it you'll improve again and end up able to shoot well on demand.

2. Most people are shocked at how far away a target really is with a handgun the first time they try it. It's a short sight radius and there's a lot to remember, and the more you think you already know about shooting, the worse you generally do.

3. Having a qualified instructor see you shoot and critique you will do wonders. Seriously. You wouldn't try to learn to grapple or box without an instructor because there are details you'd miss completely.

4. I seriously doubt the recoil of the 9mm is making Robstafarian lose control. There are very few people in this world who can't shoot .40, .45, 10mm and .44 Magnum in reasonable-sized guns IF they are given the chance to get used to the flash and the noise. Those are a much bigger problem for most people than recoil. If you have a light yet firm grip, the recoil can't affect where the shot hits--it's your anticipation of that recoil (really the flash and the noise) that messes you up.) The actual recoil only makes it more or less difficult to come back on target for the next shot.

If you have a revolver, try leaving a chamber or two unloaded at random. If only semi-autos, ask for "snap caps" at your local gun store. These are dummy rounds. Have someone else load your magazines and sprinkle these dummy rounds in there so that you don't know when you pull the trigger whether the gun will fire or click. When it clicks, watch what happens. I bet you'll find you've yanked the gun down off target. This is a flinch and it's perfectly natural for most people to develop one at some point, especially if they haven't gotten the chance to learn and develop good habits on a .22 or an airgun.

If you're hitting low and to the left, you already know you're flinching (assuming you're right handed.) Don't worry; there are ways to fix this if it turns out to be the problem. In fact, a decent instructor can fix anything. You CAN shoot. My son has detaching retinas and we've been told he'll never be allowed to drive at night, but he can bounce a can around with his .22 rifle with a red dot sight. There's always a way.

Guiltyspark is giving good advice and it sounds like he'll give more. That's good.

Just remember that the trigger "break," the moment the sear trips and the gun fires, has to be a surprise. We all think we can pull it to the brink, hold it, get it on target perfectly, and then pull it over the break point--but most people can't and the ones who can don't gain much by it.
    You really do need an instructor in person, though. For all we know, you're in a weak or uncomfortable stance. It's amazing how many people lean back and get themselves off balance before attempting to shoot.

Get an instructor and spend an hour of his time. You'll be amazed.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast