Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/29/2006 9:17pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Spyderco Crow Opinions?

I'm looking to get a single blade folding knife for everyday carry. As such, the blade has to be less than 3 inches long (so that I can legally carry it pretty much everywhere). I'd also like it to be as cheap as possible while maintaining decent quality, a utility blade that's fairly expendable. Razor knives and the like are out, as is anything on the order of $70 (which some knife guys consider cheap, like the custom 1911 crowd calling HKs cheap). I don't plan on getting in any knife fights, but I would like some non-reflective coating in case of the absolute last resort.

Getting to the thread title, I'm looking at the Crow from Spyderco's Byrd line (seen here). Its blade is the longest I've seen in the under 3" crowd, at 2 13/16" (or 2.8125", if you're decimally oriented like me). Do any of you have an opinion of this knife, the Byrd line, or Spyderco's products in general?

Suggestions of alternate knives are welcome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2006 11:01pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I daily carried a spyderco/michael walker collaberation for a number of years. Spyderco makes a pretty decent knife. The zytel version of the walker doesnt seem to be sold anymore (the handle was lightweight).

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 7:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMHO Spyderco is the best thing in their price range, which probably sounds mild but is about as high a compliment as I bestow. Actually, I can go one higher and state that there are quite a few people out there making more expensive knives with no discernible advantage over the Spyderco models.

I don't know much about the Byrd line, unfortunately. Spyderco says they "oversee" the design and manufacturing. I'm not a big fan of that idea. But about the only other folders in the Byrd price range I'd trust are the CRKT line, so if you don't see one of those that floats your boat, might as well try the Spydie.

Beware of all factory linerlocks, though. A linerlock can be one of the strongest things out there, but it takes a LOT of fitting or truly exceptional manufacturing tolerances to make it work the way it's supposed to. A little off and you'll eventually have problems. Inexpensive knives with liner locks make me nervous. It doesn't mean it's bad, but a cheap lockback like a Spyderco Native is an order of magnitude more reliable than a sloppily done linerlock.

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 11:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Don, that's exactly what I was looking for. Actually, I was hoping you'd chime in. I've taken a good long look around CRKT and this is what I've come up with, in alphabetical order:
    The list represents the lowest price I could find for each model, rounded to the nearest dollar. Where possible, I chose a black handle, plain edge, and the longest blade length under 3".

What can you tell me about these knives? Have you ever done business with Your Cutting Board or Oso Grande Knife & Tool Company?
    Last edited by Robstafarian; 7/31/2006 11:56pm at .

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 3:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just ordered the Wrangler for myself and an Edgie for my father. Thanks for the input folks.