Posted On:
    7/30/2006 6:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaher
    Two words: Dim Mak
    You could've at least photoshopped Helio's floating head saying that with acupuncture needles sticking out of him.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/30/2006 6:22pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaher
    Two words: Dim Mak
    Two words: Dumb Ass.:5bullwhip

Posted On:
    7/30/2006 6:59pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good friend of mine is a 10 year student of Lung Ying, or Southern Dragon. It is a Hakka Fist Southern Style, which means it is VERY ugly, direct, and not flashy in the least. The fighting stance looks like a sunken wrestling stance.

He avoids Bullshido, else I'd ask him to answer for the style himself...but these are my "Bullet Points" from my limited experience training with him.

1. Hard, Constant Conditioning
    -All the stances are an exercise in pain...yet they fight out of them as easily as a boxer in a "Guard Stance". They acclimate themselves to much more difficult stances, which allow them to move easier when not compressed so much.

His crew also practices "Iron Body" stuff every day. Even though he's a tall, gangly dude...his limbs are rock hard and he's freakishly strong for his build. One day we were grappling and he accidentally brushed my face while attempting a guard pass. He wasn't trying to hit me, and he probably used a fraction of his strength...but he dislocated my jaw.

2. Short Forms
    -Yes, many people think forms are teh suck. However, if you are deadset on doing forms, then I believe Lung Ying has the correct attitude regarding forms/sets.

The entire system consists of 10 or so forms...and each one varies between 8 and 14 moves or so. Short, sweet, and to the point.

3. Adaptable Power Generation
    -I'm more comfortable with Boxing Power Generation...forward momentum combined with coordinated leg and hip movement. It is quick, easy to learn, and extremely effective.

However, it typically relies upon having both feet on the ground or when in a dominant grappling position.

Lung Ying (and, from what I've heard, Bak Mei) uses a strange form of power generation where the explosiveness isn't tied to being connected to the ground. I wish I could explain it better, but I can't, as I don't currently understand the system well enough.

Suffice to say that my Lung Ying friend can unload a crap load of power from the guard and other disparate positions.

4. Uncomfortable Fighting Distance
    -I'm used to sport karate and boxing/kickboxing distance. I've noticed that beginners (like myself) tend to also be comfortable in these types of distances as well.

Lung Ying fights in somewhere between long jab range and elbow range. It is VERY uncomfortable and I can imagine this throwing off some more conventional fighting styles.

---That basically covers what skimmed off the top of my mind.

My friend's crew trains daily from 6AM to 8AM, and they spar full-contact with MMA gloves, mouth pieces, and cups. When they spar, they don't look like "Crappy Kickboxers"...they actually use all the stuff they practice during free resistance application.

He desperately wants to come to a throwdown, and he's spent the last six months or so learning BJJ at Fight Labs in order to try and even out his game. I hope that he'll be able to attend the next San Diego Throwdown, where maybe he'll take this website a bit more seriously and begin to post regularly.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123