Style
    Western Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MA Noob, Need Advice

Alright, so I have been lurking in the bullshido shadows for a while now, figured I might as well throw out my introduction here and ask some questions.

I haven't done any MA's since I quit TKD when I was around 6 or 7. I made it to around purple or orange belt until getting bored with gay ass horse stances and yelling kiai! every time I connected with the air. Looking back, the school was decent as far as TKD goes, both guy were korean olympians, but I didnt have the attention span for no contact stuff. On a side note: I tried to use the horse stance in a fight in second grade. You know what it got me? It got me kicked in the nuts. They never prepare you for that in TKD classes.

So, fast forward about 8 years. I got sick of being useless in a fight so I bought a heavy bag and some gloves and started working on boxing (been doing that for the past 4 years). There arent any gyms in the immediate area, so it is just me. Anyhow, I have been adding new things like skipping rope, shadow boxing, slips, that I find on internet boxing sites. It is no substitute for the real thing, but I think I can hold my own in a fistfight.

Last year I almost went into Aikido since my Uni offered it as a PE credit (you need 2 PE classes to graduate). I knew nothing of Aikido, but I recently found out that it is the watered down, worthless variety. Nevertheless, the Aikido stuff got me thinking about MA again. I looked around for different schools in my area. I had almost settled on a Pa Kua school, but the instructor seemed pretty seedy. I asked if I could head down and watch a class, but the guy kept saying that I should let him know what day I was coming so the head instructor would be sure to be there. The problem was that the head instructor was the only guy in the school qualified to teach. If he wasnt there normally, who the hell was? It was pretty bad, and I hadnt even noticed most of the bigtime "signs of a McDojo". They wore gi's... for a chinese MA. The owner was actually a BJJ blue belt with no creditation in Pa Kua. He just claimed to be a Pa Kua school. I thinked I dodged a bullet on that one.

So today I got the idea to check out BJJ schools in the area. I was surprised to find a decent looking school within 3 miles of my house. The head instructor is Mauricio "Tinguinha" Mariano, a black belt under Carlos Gracie Jr. Anyone have experience with this guy? I really dont know anything about BJJ, so I will defer to the BJJ experts.
    There are a couple others that popped up- Franco de Camargo, a black belt under Carlson Gracie Jr., and Greg Lee, a brown belt under John De La O. Both of these guys have schools that are fairly far away (10 miles) so I am not seriously considering them right now.

Last question, since this post is getting too long: Can you do BJJ with a bad knee? I tore up my knee a few years ago and never had money for surgery. Do I have to worry about someone re-injuring it in BJJ (there isnt any meniscus cartilidge on the inside part of the knee)?

Lots of noob questions, I know. Sorry.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you do BJJ with a bad knee?
    you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't.

Style
    Western Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, that is good to know. So would it be a good idea to wear a brace when you roll? I just dont want to end up in the screaming mess that I become if my knee gets "popped" the wrong way. It's happened before and it it sucks.

I forgot to post the link, but this is the school I am considering: http://www.tinguinha.com/
    Everything looks legit from the site. Check it out and let me know what you guys think.

Style
    In Transition
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't read your post, but before you start, talk to the instructor about your knee. Yes, many people with bad joints still roll, but your instructor will know best.

Probably, though, he'll just say "yeah, just watch out for it".

Style
    Shootfighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd agree with whats been said so far about bad joints. If you go at it carefully, you should be able to roll no problem.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, wear a brace. I have needed surgery on one of my knees for ten years now, and I still roll, with a brace.

Any black belt under Carlos Gracie Jr. is going to be legitimate. Go there, watch a class.
    Shut the hell up and train.