Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 2:47pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Triangle off the Armbar attempt from the Guard

Lately I have been thinking of a new combination, new for me at least (I don't know if anyone else has used this before).

Anyway, You're in guard and attempt an armbar. Your opponent starts staking, with his free arm on your lapel or shoulder, in an effort to free his arm from the submission. Push his free arm out of the way and hook one of his legs with your arm, and figure 4 your legs for the triangle. Do any adjustment needed to get your legs in the right position, and you're ready for the triangle choke or armbar of the triangle set up.

Has anyone tried something like this. I have been thinking about it alot lately and I'm gonna go for it tonight. I'll post my progress with it. This was influenced by the Baret Yoshida highlight, the part where Baret attempts an armbar from the triangle set up but his opponent defends it so he goes back to triangle.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziPUmqruFSc[/MEDIA]

at 29 - 40 seconds into the video where he swtiches from triangle to armbar, about 4 times. What i was thinking of was a set up to get into that position.
    Last edited by Method2Madness; 7/28/2006 2:52pm at .

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 3:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Method2Madness
    Lately I have been thinking of a new combination, new for me at least (I don't know if anyone else has used this before).

Anyway, You're in guard and attempt an armbar. Your opponent starts staking, with his free arm on your lapel or shoulder, in an effort to free his arm from the submission. Push his free arm out of the way and hook one of his legs with your arm, and figure 4 your legs for the triangle. Do any adjustment needed to get your legs in the right position, and you're ready for the triangle choke or armbar of the triangle set up.

Has anyone tried something like this. I have been thinking about it alot lately and I'm gonna go for it tonight. I'll post my progress with it. This was influenced by the Baret Yoshida highlight, the part where Baret attempts an armbar from the triangle set up but his opponent defends it so he goes back to triangle.

When grapplers say they are gonna "break your arm and choke you out like a bitch" I always picture someone jumping guard and going straight for triangle off a sloppy right hook , in some well lit glass littered bar parking lot , into a full all out arm bar just before they slip off into lala land and start panicing .

I can never seem to set in a good triangle when I roll ( when we drill I can lock them in ) , but I can usual manage to get a nice armbar (bellyto the floor) from the position my attempt gets me . Which is obserd for some reason I can't grasp beyond it is alot of work .

I have seen video of really good grapplers do what your describing ( and showed , good video btw.. ) and a BJJ brown belt I know was talking about the same thing after watching me roll . I am at a loss untill I can work on it again with instruction . I have no clue what I am doing wrong to make it work for me ... but I do know I want it to work without near as much work , with very little change in position and more often .

So I will be watching this thread ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 4:31pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will preface by saying that a good triangle angle is a good armbar angle. But if you are just discovering that the armbar to triangle, or triangle to armbar are efficient and productive...my first statement is lost. You will be unable to fully appreciate the subtle pearl of wisdom.

This is one of those times where I can say...you don't understand fully. Train more. It will come.

That sounds like some ninja rhetoric, doesn't it?

(just wait til you see the relationship between triangle and omoplata~)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 4:32pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three brothers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 7:32pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    I will preface by saying that a good triangle angle is a good armbar angle. But if you are just discovering that the armbar to triangle, or triangle to armbar are efficient and productive...my first statement is lost. You will be unable to fully appreciate the subtle pearl of wisdom.

This is one of those times where I can say...you don't understand fully. Train more. It will come.

That sounds like some ninja rhetoric, doesn't it?

(just wait til you see the relationship between triangle and omoplata~)
    well i knew about them, but i was just trying to think of new ways to go about getting the position for them. The way i explained, for example, is a new way for me. I usually will get the arm bar after a failed triangle choke. I can't really do a good omoplata(havent practiced it nearly enough for live rolling), for some reason i can't get the leg motion right half the time, evethough it's a pretty easy move.

It didn't work as well as i planned so i ended up going for the sweep from the armbar attempt. I'm gonna go for it again next class.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 8:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The triangle/armbar/omoplata should all be right there...if you're going for one of'em, the rest are available and necessary to threaten if you're gonna land one of the three on somebody who knows what they're doing.