Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 1:26pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My current favorite choke

I have known a particular choke for a while now and used it occassionally in the past but lately I've really gone to town with it. I wanted to see if anyone had any tips on it, and to just share it.

The first time I saw it was as a more complicated version on Kenny Florian's gi seminar DVD, where he uses his own untucked lapel, like what Luis shows in a SoFlo preview video (at about 1:45). Then I met a blue belt from Alliance who's default rear choke was the same thing minus using his own lapel. Then I saw Marcelo get something like it in one of his highlight reels (3:50). Then I saw Mike show a couple variations in the transmissions section of Cross Sides Top. Then my instructor got beat with another version of it at the Pan Ams.

So I started paying a lot more attention to it. I also found out that another blue belt has been using the version we saw at the Pan Ams and has been wrecking people with it, so we got together and traded notes and have been working on it a lot lately.

Here's how the basic choke works:
    1. I have a sitting rear mount (face up). My right hand reaches over their shoulder and grabs their left lapel.
    2. I am trying to get my left hand under their arm for the basic dollar collar choke, but they are keeping their left arm tight to their body and defending.
    3. I reach down and grab their left knee with my left hand.
    4. I pull myself towards the left knee as I take my right hook out and throw my left hook all the way across their stomach and spin out to the side (much like I was going for an armbar).
    5. I bring my right thigh behind their head for some pressure on it then pull the lapel for the choke.
    That's the most basic way but I don't usually finish with my thigh behind their head, especially if my initially grip was really loose. Instead I'll bring my knee up behind their head, on the inside of my right arm, so my shin is behind their neck and use this as for the finishing pressure. If I can't get my knee in, I'll throw my leg over the head, like this:

(Kenny doing the version where you grip your own lapel.)

If they expose their far arm, you can also often hook it for the crucifix, from which you just continue the choke with even less chance of them escaping.

If they expose their near arm, you can take your grip off the knee and go under it and do the basic single wing choke, as shown by these two hilariously badly drawn judoka:

I may post more once I've actually gotten some work done.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 1:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is a fucking awesome choke.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you drive the thigh down on their shoulder it is far tighter. The variation I'll use most often is from the rear collar choke (where you're pulling down on one lapel and across with the other) and then bring the leg over.

One of the more painful chokes, feels like your head is going to explode.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 1:44pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To get it from side control, I've been doing this:

1. Let's say I'm on their right side. I make/let them roll away slightly.
    2. I control their left elbow to stop them from being able to roll all the way to their knees as I bring my chest against their back/shoulder and "sprawl" my hips in so they can't turn back towards me. Kind like this, but bringing my chest lower and trying to get a harness on their back:

3. My left hand reaches under their head and grabs their right collar.
    4. My right hand grabs their right knee.
    5. I get to my right foot and put my knee in their hip/side/ribs.
    6. I get to my left foot, driving my knee up behind their head so my shin is against their neck.
    7. I sit back on my butt as I pull their collar and knee to me. They choke.
    This is just like the one from rear mount only I don't have one of my legs passed over their waist.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 1:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of our browns that just moved away did these sorts of chokes. He was massive and strong too. Fucking sucked.

I love these chokes, particularly since I can't seem to RNC anyone to save my life.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 1:51pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sadly, you just described a brown belt from my gym, including the "moved away".

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 1:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While we all loved the guy I think my instructor is a tiny bit relieved. This brown ran the saturday classes, and ran them brutally. No breaks, continuous rounds etc. There was the occasional vomiting.

My instructor is positive this drove away some students.
    I'm not sure why, most of us thought it was great.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 2:12pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do that wing choke your little cartoon shows, except for when I do it I drive the hand behind there head as deep as possible instead of sliding it down my forarm. So basically I end up with my tricept on the side of their head, and m other hand sunk deep into their collar. It makes it much easier for me to get the tap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 6:34pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a variation i have seen is attacking the turtle

1) step next to thier ear
    2) get your hand past thier other ear to grab your pants leg (under thier chin)
    3) roll over them into the position shown in Aesopian's first photograph
    4) win !!11!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 7:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These look pretty similar to regular lapel chokes, just using the leg to finish. I wanna know how to do the choke where you use your own lapel.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast