Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 3:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    all of us still have friends involved with TMA (Traditional Martial Arts). Poor souls that believe punching in the air or playing tag with protective foam gear gives them a chance on the street. "hey, double over when i kick you or the technique won't work." LOL- sorry but i have to giggle.

odd way to start a book review eh? well, this was a recurring thought i had while reading the book. when someone would argue the effectiveness of BJJ vs another martial art all i'd have to say was "watch UFC 1-4". now i have to tell them to watch UFC 1-4 and read this book!

Mastering Ju Jitsu articulately lays out all of the reasons BJJ has continuously dominated the NHB & MMA scene.

the first 3 chapters cover the development of classical ju jitsu to present day. this section dispels many myths and rumors associated w/ the creation both of classical
    and modern ju jitsu (BJJ). it is a great primer before you read The Gracie Way. the "how" and "why" of what makes jiu-jitsu unique is also discussed.

chapters 4-6 dive into the 3 phases of combat: free-movement, the clinch and ground (duh). techniques are shown from each phase. the strategy of each phase addressed within the context a jiu-jitsu perspective. these chapters also give examples of how today's top fighters excel in certain areas (vanderlei silva and the clinch).

chapters 7 & 8 continue in the same manner with the top and bottom positions on the ground. there are techniques shown from every position.

chapters 9 & 10 cover training, competition and self defense. different training methods & theories are discussed. the self defense chapter is excellent in my opinion. it realistically examines the anatomy of a streetfight/attack.

the book is quick to point out the importance of crosstraining due to stand up and other grappling practitioners incorporating BJJ into their own curriculum.

this book definetely gets a thumbs up.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YAWN!!!

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!!
    THE TRUE FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 4:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmmm....

A) UFC 1-4 proves nothing except that someone with skill can dominate ou of shape fat men with little training.

B) how about a review from someone other than an obvious Gracie nuthugger?

C) How does it compare to "BJJ Theory and Technique" by Royler and Renzo?

D) Cut the "OMG GRACIE JIUJITSU IS SO KEWL!!!!!11!!1" please. we all know it is valuable now get over yourself.

E) After you get over yourself, please drown yourself.

oh and BTW I do BJJ too. so don't start the "ooohhhh Bitter TMA lashes out" bullshit.

---------
    Shut up and train

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 5:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bjj Basicly Just Judo?? Bastardised Japanese Judo?? Flame on muther fuckers.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 6:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FK is correct.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 7:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmmm....

A) UFC 1-4 proves nothing except that someone with skill can dominate ou of shape fat men with little training.
    great observation. kimo, ken shamrock and dan severn weren't exactly the picture of physical fitness.

if by little training, you mean no brazilian jiu-jitsu experience, you are correct.

B) how about a review from someone other than an obvious Gracie nuthugger?
    that is an excellent idea. i encourage everyone to go out and buy the book. while you're at it, keep in mind that gene simco will be releasing a second volume of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: The Master Text in august. don't miss it!

C) How does it compare to "BJJ Theory and Technique" by Royler and Renzo?
    that is an apples an oranges type of comparision. BJJ T & T was almost all technique. this book while have some techniques, focuses on the history and strategy of jiu-jitsu. that being said, i prefer this book to BJJ T & T.

D) Cut the "OMG GRACIE JIUJITSU IS SO KEWL!!!!!11!!1" please. we all know it is valuable now get over yourself.
    sadly, this is incorrect. it very naive to assume that because you and i see the value in BJJ, other must as well. there are many styles/schools that have yet to acknowledge the effectiveness of BJJ. some are not even vaguely aware of its existence.

E) After you get over yourself, please drown yourself.
    i am but a humble peon in the court of BJJ. i feel it is my duty tell help spread the word.

oh and BTW I do BJJ too. so don't start the "ooohhhh Bitter TMA lashes out" bullshit.
    then you shouldn't be asking these silly questions.

---------
    Shut up and train
    i just got back. but thank you for the advice

Edited by - andy kaufman on July 15 2003 19:55:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 7:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bjj Basicly Just Judo?? Bastardised Japanese Judo?? Flame on muther fuckers.
    actually, this is one of the common misconceptions that the book helps to clear up.

buy the book and find out!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 7:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You aren't very good at martial arts are you?

---------
    Shut up and train

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 7:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You aren't very good at martial arts are you?

---------
    Shut up and train
    do you mean kata?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 8:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that BJJ is probably your first real art (maybe you have a BB in TKD but who cares) either you are a true beginner in BJJ or came from a bullshido style. You are no higher than blue belt in BJJ and think that the sun shines out of Helio's ass and that before his wrinkled sphincter illuminated the fighting world, all was in darkness.

I also think you probably suck at fighting.

Ok heres the part where you tell me what a baddass you are. I'm listening I really am.

---------
    Shut up and train
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast