Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/29/2006 2:09pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Runs helps to be in shape, but for sparring, interval training more than plain cardio helps. You can do as much cardio as you want, but if your anaerobic capacity is for ****, your cardio will not do you any good. It's like having a top of the line racing car with without an air filter and a single drop of oil.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2006 2:11pm

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Intervals and fartleks are a must. Crapplin', boxin', all that requires anaerobic and aerobic! :qgaraduat

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2006 2:12pm

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was agreeing with you MAcho!

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    7/30/2006 3:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just keep training as hard as you can and don't let up until you're dead.

When I started sub grappling I was gassing very quickly and tapping a lot as a result. After a month of just training and not much else outside of the gym, my stamina and fitness was miles better.

Just accept that you're gonna be a ***** until you're used to the training. Anything else you do outside will only speed up the process. Jogging might not make you better at sparring, but any benefit gained has got to be worth the effort.
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 10:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Much better results this week. Took an Aerius anit-histamine earlier, drank lots of water through out the day, also got a puffer from my Dr and took two hits of ventalin prior to class. Also they had the air conditioning on :)

Managed to do two hours. First hour ended with about 10 minutes of relatively light contact (although blocked a kick with my ankle and it hurts like a bitch) sparring

Second hour was all grappling after warm up and take down practice we grappled for about 25 minutes. Sat out a few minutes to do time keeping but I would say I grappled a total of 18 minutes and didn't gass once all though I came close when someone had side control on me and dropped their fat belly on my face. Still managed to get air in get put of that position and last to the end of the round.

Got tapped twice regardless but both to black belts and both do to applied submissions not me being unable to breath.

I also was more patient and waited and worked myself out of bad spots with out panicing

Thanks all for the advice I am a happier camper today.
    Last edited by Goju - Joe; 8/02/2006 10:14pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 11:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jogging is good for losing weight, not so good for fight conditioning...it's usually too passive. A better choice is interval training. I like to go to a high school track. After a decent warm-up (I'm old so for me that's 4 easy laps), go like this: sprint the straights, jog the curves. Go balls-out on the straights. Do maybe 8 sprints in a session. This is pretty anaerobic, so depending on your legs you may want to do this every other day. Wind sprints, baby! Just like high school football!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2006 2:42am

Style: etc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Intervals etc

Taku's intervals are good, do a search for "Taku's Intervals" and you'll find them. I've used them to prep for judo tournaments.

Rope skipping , with a sprint at the end in three minute rounds is good too.

And this sounds counterintuitive, but mix yoga in with this and you'll find you can learn to control the rhythym of your breathing better, so you dont' get all tense and winded as quickly.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234