I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 9:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My cardio sucks long and hard ..HELP!!

I know this may not be the right place to point this but I REALY would like to hear peoples opinion and advice on this.

Tonight I went to grappling at GoJu-Jitsu we were doing 5 minute matches about 3 minutes into my first match I blew up, and was totaly gassed and had to tap out. I wasn't even in a bad position but I couldn't seem to get enough oxygen and felt flushed and over heated.

I have asked my Dr. and my heart and blood preasure are good. Also it's not like I am a complete noob and over exert myself wasting energy.

Here's the weird thing last week I went to CSW which is an 1 1/2 class. The warm up there is very difficult and and it also blows me up to the point where I feel my legs are weak and barely make ti through that. After the warm up we do striking / MMA drills which are hard ands tiring and then ground techniques that are also very tiring, the whole class is more exhausting than my goju-jitsu grappling.

But at the 1 hour mark in CSW we start grappling. Last monday I was able to do 4 X 4 minute matches and even submited someone before I was gassed and even then I sat out for 4 minutes and was able to go for another 4 minute match and didn't feel gassed.

I read somewhere someone talking about aerobic VS anaerobic in MMA and was saying that MMA fighters skip rope and stuff before a match to get there body cycling oxygen through the red blood cells at a higher rate so that when they enter the ring they are in an aerobic state instead of anaerobic state.

Does this make sense? Can someone explain it to me? Is this why I did better grappling on Monday than tonight?

Also what can I do to fix this? Should I just try to jog every day for 30 minutes.

This really irritates me. I don't care if get tapped out but loosing because I gas is ridiculous!

HELP ME!!!

Thanks in advance

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 10:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jogging for 30 minutes will not help your sparring.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 10:22pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learn to breathe. You're a probably holding your breath without realizing it.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 10:28pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my very humble opinion (not much of a grappler), I got gassed much less once I realized that I was tensing my whole body to much while rolling. Used too much arm and legs vs using my hips.

Please feel free to flame me as I don't grapple too often.

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 10:34pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll keep these in mind but what happens to me is when I get caught in side control or a scarf hold is when I seem to have problems, As my adbdomen gets squished.

I don't think I am holding my breath however that may be.

I think also i am a shaloow breather and may be deep breath breathing excercises may help.

Anyone do that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 11:34pm

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grappling game is like the marathon or long distance running. You need to pace yourself. Are you a mobility or position player? Use your body weight with gravity's help to hold superior position at interlude while catching a breather should prolong your game.

Grapple smart vs grapple hard... your choice.

Oh, and a cliche... relax and breathe.

I did not come out with these, my judo teacher tells them to class.

GMW

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 11:49pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my cardio sux too. Day 1 in training I couldnt even do 5 rounds of jogging around the dojo (size of basketball court). Now cardio still sux. but comparing it to day 1, cardio has improved more than 10x... but still sux. I'm one of those guys who are the first ones to gas out.

Its not about breathin... I breathe in through the nose and out the mouth without me knowin it. Thats the first thing I trained myself to do. It lengthened my stamina for a bit.

I dunno if that is genetic or diet or what have you...

Same problem here. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 12:48am

Style: Hapkido/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just do what everyone else said. Relax, learn to breath. If it still sucks, do alot of jump rope. Best form of cardio exercise in my opinion.

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 6:03am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I know all this, I am nto exactly new at it and I do relax and breath. It just seemed like yesterday I couldn't catch my breath.

It's frusterating and doesn't make sense to me that the week before I was able to do a much harder class physicaly and roll for 16 minutes without gassing and yesterday I had an easy class and gassed in 3 minutes.

Maybe I wasn't hydrated enough. Maybe it was just one of those nights

I'll go again tongiht and see what happens.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 10:05am

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try swimming, it is good cardio and you have to hold your breath while doing it. As everyone else said make sure you are breathing during class.

It sounds like you just had an off night. Maybe you had not eaten right or not drank enough? Maybe you don't have enough iron intake? If that was true, your Doctor probably would have told you that.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast