Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    8/01/2006 10:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another vote for warmup and drill for recovery.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But not for no sparring for several months.

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    But not for no sparring for several months.
    Agreed. My BJJ club takes about a month, which is also too much according to some. Personal preference, I suppose.

The Judo/Sombo club I drop in at has us roll right off the bat, but it's all positional until the seniors have rolled with you enough to get a feel for your ability to handle adding subs without spazzing out. Seems to work fine.

Since there is a lot of newaza free practice there, I feel like I've improved more in a couple months there (once a week) than I did as I picked my way through the basic curriculum at BJJ with minimal sparring. Now that I'm a deadly two-stripe white, I can spar at BJJ as well.

Anyway, that's the beauty of grappling as I see it - you can train at full tilt most of the time. Ironically, when I was a _ing _un guy in the mid-90s we did compliant one and two step sparring in our grappling classes also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur AMP
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stripes are cute.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 11:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learned a sweep tonight, guess I should complain on the internet more often. I did not pull it off in "live" drilling, but I like it. It's there, I just have to get better at not letting him control my legs in that butterfly guard. Opponent tonight could control my hips and get them off the ground before I could stop him. I felt like . . . . well, something that gets swung from side to side a lot. By something a LOT smaller than it is.

But hey, I got my wish.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2006 12:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just another quick follow-up. My school has definitely taken my criticism to heart; they took my perspective and really thought about how not rolling was effecting the students and after consideration have started introducing rolling at the end of classes which have time now for 2-stripes and above. On Monday, they sort of separated out all the 0-1 stripes and had them do drills at the end of class while all the 2-stripes and up were able to basically just roll.

I also found out that they have relaxed their minimum time durations on stripe advancement to allow for folks who are really into the class and taking more than just two a week. So now one can officially get 3 stripes and be in the Randori class in like 4 months (going 3x/week)...so now I'm going 3x/week. :)

So the short answer now is that one can now roll after 2-4 months (2nd stripe) in the portions of the blue belt class dedicated to rolling and from 4-6 months (3rd stripe) can attend dedicated rolling sessions.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789