Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 11:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The older students -are- definitely clearly and often instructed to take it easy on beginning students.

Not sure about the instructor thing, she's never around in any of my classes and I've never seen her teach a class of any type so I really have no idea what, if anything, she teaches. I know she's married to one of the higher-level instructors. They -do- have some of the blue and purple belts -help- teach classes; sort of a teacher's aid-type thing I guess. They help demonstrate moves, lead warm-ups and stuff like that, but none of the ones in my classes are on that page.

Well, I guess it sucks that I'm not getting the amount of rolling that others are, but oh well, I'll get there soon I suppose. At any rate, any helpful advice on my original question would still, of course, be greatly appreciated! :)

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 11:34pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you say so, although I still have my reservations.

EDIT: I'm responding to this..

Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    A good blue belt coached to coach by a good coach is perfectly capable of teaching newbs the basics.
    and not the above post.
    Last edited by Psycho Dad; 7/25/2006 11:37pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 11:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EDIT: Ah, oops, I see you were talking about the blue belt instructing thing...anyway, all this below is still true. ;)

Reis:

I can understand your concerns with the approach and as a total BJJ noob, I totally don't feel qualified to state any real opinion about whether it's the right or wrong way to go.

I will, however, say tha this delay is my getting into Randori has given me an opportunity to make some amazing personal strides in conditioning my out of shape ass into something ready to roll. I guess, just the idea that I'd be doing it has given me a lot of motivation to get in shape and be ready for it and, well, just in general to be ready to be a better fighter. I mean, I've lost like 25 lbs and gone from 29% body fat to 16% in these 4 months and I'm running 4 miles a day, 6 days a week now , lifting 2-3 times a week, and working the bag in my garage at every opportunity, plus training BJJ twice a week (and that will go up very soon as I'll be able to attend the purple belt classes as well as the blue belt classes and Randoris when I get my 3rd stripe.) As far as BJJ goes, I feel like I've been able to take my time and progressively apply resistance as I was ready for it and I really feel like I've learned a great deal about proper form in this time.

So anyway, I guess what I'm saying is, for good or bad, it's what I'm stuck with and well, so far, it's not been a huge disappointment for me personally to not be able to go to Randori sooner. In fact, it's given me some time to prepare myself mentally and physically, which I've tried to make the best of. As for me personally, I'm very sure that I would not have been mentally (or physically) ready to roll on day 1. Not that I would have been intimidated really, just more like I feel like I would not have had the common sense to not hurt myself or someone else in a full-resistance uncontrolled situation.
    Last edited by The_Caine; 7/25/2006 11:58pm at .

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 12:42am

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    I can underestand a school doing this. White belts have a reputation for being overly competitive spazzes that hurt themselves and others.
    My club does this and I think it's great. It keeps guys from going ballistic trying to imitate UFC fights they have seen.

To get the first stripe and the ok to roll you have to do 12 basic classes on specific topics which get rotated weekly in the curriculum. With two or three basic classes a week, you can be rolling in 1-2 months easily.

The nice part is that everyone who rolls has been in every basic position and understands what the object is they are going for in that position. That removes a lot of white belt on white belt random spazzing that doesn't teach anyone **** and gets people hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur AMP
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 1:17am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4 months is too long not to be rolling.

1 week I can understand so that people get the idea by observing. 1 month is really stretching it. 2 months is milking it. 4 months is just too much to ask for anyone.

(assumption is that 1 week = 3 classes)

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 1:20am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that waiting longer than a couple weeks is really pushing it personally. If someone is spazzing out, my instructor generally just pits them against a larger/stronger upper belt to get squished for fifteen minutes until they calm down. I do understand the concern, but I don't think making someone wait is going to prevent them from spazzing anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 1:45am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not like spazzing out ever works, either. If you pit two new white belts together, bad stuff is bound to happen. But a blue belt should be able to handle a noobie and guide him through some basic moves.

How much you paying for that per month? I hate it when they don't give you the price online.

1 hour classes are also kinda short, but that depends on how much warming up you do, I guess.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 1:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's $150/mo for all the blue belt and conditioning classes, but after the 3rd stripe opens to purple belt and randori classes as well. They do the schedule on a sort of two-part week where classes on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays are sort of an "A" class and Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays are a continuation of that work: the "B" class. I normally only train twice a week right now unless there's something I'm having trouble with, then I might repeat an "A" or "B" class.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 2:01am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    4 months is too long not to be rolling.

1 week I can understand so that people get the idea by observing. 1 month is really stretching it. 2 months is milking it. 4 months is just too much to ask for anyone.

(assumption is that 1 week = 3 classes)
    Right now, it's just 1 week = 2 classes for now, unless I want to repeat a class.

You know, 4 months isn't actually even the end of the wait or anything; I mean, I've been in it 4 months now and I'm not rolling yet. It's going to be -7- months by the time I get the next stripe. :)

Neil

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 2:32am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, get out. The instructors seem competent, but it's really not worth it. Especially when you only go twice a week. You can probably find something cheaper.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast