Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 2:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KSWolf
    So, it's not really a blanket term. Just a name for a Hapkido cousin.
    Ok, thanks for the clarification. With all the talk of pink fans, I thought it was some really centred weapon art... sort of iaido... for strippers:toothy5:.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 3:01pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    Also, isn't this the art that Big Daddy Gary Goodridge started training in?
    FOR THE ONE BILLIONTH TIME!

NO!

Sorry...

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 3:05pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Ok, thanks for the clarification. With all the talk of pink fans, I thought it was some really centred weapon art... sort of iaido... for strippers:toothy5:.
    hmmm, a fan centered weapons art for strippers....I'm seeing some real possibilites here!

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 3:06pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KSWolf, while you have mentioned the Hapkido connection, you're completely leaving out the Korean Kung Fu connection.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 3:10pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    KSWolf, while you have mentioned the Hapkido connection, you're completely leaving out the Korean Kung Fu connection.
    Yeah, I suppose I am. I should mention that some of the differences between kuk sool won and hapkido fall into that category. Kuk Sa Nim is supposed to be a Sippalgi master as well which would explain some of our fluid motions and soft forms. We also learn a number of animal based movements (specifically based on mantis, crane, eagle, tiger, dragon and bear, I don't think I missed any there).

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I suppose I am. I should mention that some of the differences between kuk sool won and hapkido fall into that category. Kuk Sa Nim is supposed to be a Sippalgi master as well which would explain some of our fluid motions and soft forms. We also learn a number of animal based movements (specifically based on mantis, crane, eagle, tiger, dragon and bear, I don't think I missed any there).
    Did you feel dirty while you typed this ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 3:15pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He (Goodridge) never actually trained in it. He just wore the dobok because he admittedly thought you needed one to be taken seriously
    how ANY martial artist who doesnt wear a dobok can expect to be taken seriously is beyond me....

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 3:23pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    Did you feel dirty while you typed this ?
    hmmm, not sure why I should, but I usually feel a little dirty all the time anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by john joe
    how ANY martial artist who doesnt wear a dobok can expect to be taken seriously is beyond me....
    All I can say is it was still early in the UFC (8 I believe) so since some guys wore gis/doboks I guess he thought it necessary.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 3:29pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    The fan was a traditional Confucian martial art weapon in Korea, likely due to Chinese influence. It was something everyone carried if you were a yangbang (noble), and it was easy to modify. Steel ribs instead of wood, sharped points to the ribs, all could make it a cutting weapon when opened. Folded up, it was a convenient truncheon.

In a country where everyone around you was carrying one, it was easy for you to carry a "weaponized" fan without anyone noticing. This was important not only for the obvious reasons, but also because many martial artists were looked down on in the Yi Dynasty.

And pink doesn't really have the gay connotations in Korean culture as it does here...

Something I had to explain to my gf everytime she bought me new clothes...
    Come on. Just admit it Der. Admit that this is all fancy bS history u made up to cover up fact that u wears pink. Blame the gf, twist national history of Korea to cover it up! Just so u can justify wearing pink dobok at ure local TKD dojang.

Pink is gay anywhere in the world!

On serious note. I thought that the fluffy pink fans (ones KSW use) were mainly used by gi seng (historically) and yangban class had the normal thinner and white color fans. And metal framed fans used as weapon were more similiar to iron fans used in chinese kung fu and not the fluffy pink ones like gi seng used to use. Since male/female yangban or even female bodyguard cohorts walking around with fluffy pink fan would raise attention rather than more of black iron fan type.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 3:29pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm only joking mate, i was just throwing a sarky comment in. i can see how he would have thought that.

bet there were pure kids gutted tho when they went to take up KSW to learn how to lock someone up and smash their heads open with elbows, and the instructor starts pulling out big pink fans...
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast