218358 Bullies, 6902 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192526272829 30313233 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 12:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leec123
    my last grading was my 2nd dan JJ - but like i said, most of it got put in the pot for the night out. And i felt i earned it, Money well spent. I moved and changed clubs/ associations. My first grading under the new club was done under Soke Bob Clarke (i went straight from white belt to 1st Dan!!!!) and cost me £130 ($260). £30 of this was on the correct badges I needed before i was allowed on the mat I was on the mat for less then 45 minutes, nobody hit me and i didnt hit anyone. I was that disgusted I never went back
    Did you at least keep the badges?
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 1/10/2008 12:59pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 1:55pm

Style: BJJ, JJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MSphinx
    LOL, scarf hold.
    As a judoka, you win this thread

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 2:09pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, just found this thread again. Here's my two cents. It can be fun, but it's not worth the money at all. Now, i've never actually shared my full reasons for leaving other than I felt I wasn't prepared well enough for a fight. Out of respect for my previous instructors (I actually feel like I was lucky enough to have a couple of open-minded a quality instructors who could actually scrap) I still keep my reasons quiet in public. Suffice it to say I left mainly because of the WKSA and it's policies and fees.

I paid $250 for my first dan, and coming up on second was going to cost me another $500. The WKSA finds ways to charge you for everything under the guise of, "it costs this much to run the org." Note that there are very few quality instructors/schools left. If you want to try it out, by all means, but don't let them sucker you with the propaganda, and I recommend bailing out before you have to drop the money on 1st degree testing and all that. I still have a General's Uniform that I spent $250 on and never wore. Yeah, that hurts.

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 4:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdbuck76
    Virus,

If you went through your son's drawer and found a fluffy pink fan, what would you do?
    If I had a son I'd sue the doctor that did my vasectomy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 4:06pm

Style: in hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by reinerbs
    i know this is an old thread, but its the most comprehensive thing i've found on kuk sool on the web. but i have a question for wolf being as he seems the authority on the matter. i'm looking to get into kuk sool, and i've read this whole thread and all others about kuk sool and understand that it get's a bad wrap. but i wanted to know though about it's forms and more specifically how good is the weapons training. i understand it's weak sparring, for which i will continue my sparring sessions with my boxing and MT friends, but i think i want to learn an art with forms, if not for it's actual application, then for it's tradition and just something to practice if i don't have someone to spar.
    I also took kuk sool won for a couple of years, so let me indulge you with KSW goodness.

First off, for their claim that their art is comphensive, its bullshit. A lot of their techniques are terrible and their so called groundfighting is limited to black belts and from I read they are terrible. Point sparring is lame since you really can't actually use any throws or joint locks. So it basically tag kickboxing. My instructor told me that KSW was the official martial art of the korean army. Despite the fact that I couldn't find any evidence to prove so.

Second, I hope that you have some cash saved up because you are going to need it to pay. First, there is the tution, then the uniform, the badges, the sparring gear, ( for point sparring) and their is the testing fee for belts. ( 30 bucks a belt now) Which may not seem like a lot but you have to test like 10 times before you reach brown belt, and you have to test ten more times to reach black belt. And you have to buy the weapons from them ( see where I am going with this?)

Listen if you just want to learn the kuk sool won forms just look the vids for them and larp away.

It seems to me that you want to take an "traditional martial art" then you should take something else, like judo, what schools are in your area?:new_xmas:

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 4:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    If I had a son I'd sue the doctor that did my vasectomy.
    Actually, fluffy pink fans are a GREAT form of birth control. Why? Well, ask yourself: if I were to be holding fluffy pink fans, would I ever get laid by a woman? Could I ever even get laid in a morgue, for that matter? Could I get laid if I crawled up a chicken's ass, holding these here fluffy pink fans?
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 4:20pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus

FFS DON'T DO KUK SOOL WON AND DON'T ENCOURAGE THESE FUCKING BERKS BY GIVING THEM MONEY!!!!!!!1111!11!!!!!!111!!!ELEVENELENTYONE
    Quoted for making me laugh at work.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 6:46pm

Style: Boxing, KSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by boondock lee
    I also took kuk sool won for a couple of years, so let me indulge you with KSW goodness.

First off, for their claim that their art is comphensive, its bullshit. A lot of their techniques are terrible and their so called groundfighting is limited to black belts and from I read they are terrible. Point sparring is lame since you really can't actually use any throws or joint locks. So it basically tag kickboxing. My instructor told me that KSW was the official martial art of the korean army. Despite the fact that I couldn't find any evidence to prove so.

Second, I hope that you have some cash saved up because you are going to need it to pay. First, there is the tution, then the uniform, the badges, the sparring gear, ( for point sparring) and their is the testing fee for belts. ( 30 bucks a belt now) Which may not seem like a lot but you have to test like 10 times before you reach brown belt, and you have to test ten more times to reach black belt. And you have to buy the weapons from them ( see where I am going with this?)

Listen if you just want to learn the kuk sool won forms just look the vids for them and larp away.

It seems to me that you want to take an "traditional martial art" then you should take something else, like judo, what schools are in your area?:new_xmas:
    it sucks that there are only a few school in my area, not to mention that the schools they do have to offer are for the ****. but we have KSW like i mentioned here, Tang Soo Do, Kempo, Shotokan, and Tae Kwon Do. KSW and Kempo are the only ones that have good hours for me, see I'm a firefighter and we work weird hours, and the other schools are only open on certain days of the week. So i'm in between KSW and Kempo unless i drive at least an hour away to other place that may or may not teach "good" MA.

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 9:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can definately do that scarf move with a firehose. I'd take a look at the Kempo if I were you.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 10:29pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took KSW several years ago and my experience was a lot different than other people's that I hear about, well, aside from the fact that it sucks. That part was the same. I did learn a pretty good head kick from it though.

Anyway, I paid forty dollars a month, never paid for a belt test, and never once saw a pink fan or a uniform that wasn't just a plain black gi or gi pants and a t-shirt. I suppose my teacher wasn't adhering to the larger organization's rules or maybe wasn't even affiliated with the larger org. I really don't know.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192526272829 30313233 ... LastLast