Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 7:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leec123
    hey guys..not sure if this has been covered earlier but a friend of mine tried to get me into KSW last year.
    Do they get a 5% discount on their 4th dan if they sign up a friend?

He and his wife had both just their 3rd degree bb (or maybe 2nd) and it had apparently cost them a slightly worrying £1,500 ($3,000). This included books they had to buy and prob some other equipment.
    Convincing someone to spend $3000 on a black belt, in kuk sool won no less, is a rip-off scam so brazen even the Scientologists wouldn't attempt it.

Thought the price was a bit too steep.
    A bit steep in the same way that $500 for a bag of moldy lemons is a "bit steep".

I love training but how much should you pay for some guy to sit there and assess how good you are at forms and breaking?
    You shouldn't be doing forms and breaking in the first place, let alone paying someone for the privilege.

Let me tell you a story about a guy named Billy. Billy was a bright young lad who had just been accepted into a top university. His grades were excellent and his parents were proud. But while at university he started making some new friends, and little did he know that some of them were into kuk sool won. One day while eating lunch with his friends in the cafe, one of Billy's new friends asked if he wanted to try some kuk sool. He told him about board breaking and the cool uniforms, you even get your own certificates after grading. Billy was at first hesitant, but came around after his friends assured him that all the cool kids are doing it. "What the hell" he thought. I'll just try it out once, just the introductory session. Just to see what it's like.

Billy went to that introductory session and was instantly seduced. The bowing, the titles, the yellow sashes, it all seemed so glamorous. Billy signed up. "I can take it or leave it whenever I want. I'm in control" he said to himself.

As the months went buy his classes started getting more and more expensive. They wanted him to buy books and videos, and this was starting to take its toll on his savings. He began to ask his parents for money, saying it was for textbooks and supplies, then spending it on
    grading certificates. "I'll just get my black belt then quit. I need this just to get me through the semester."

After two years in the system, he received his black belt. But was now thousands of dollars in debt. He stayed back scrubbing the floors to get credit on his bill. He finally approached the sensei one day and told him he wanted to leave. He said that it was getting too expensive and he felt a huge pang of guilt for stealing from his friends to pay for his habit. His once healthy body began to wither and atrophy from lack of proper conditioning. The sensei just laughed when Billy said this, and pointed out that he had signed a contract and couldn't get out for another six months.

The rest of Billy's days were a blur. He was at class one day and a few of the guys were talking. One of them came up to him and asked him if he wanted to do some "pink fan". Billy had heard of this stuff, and always thought that he wouldn't get into it that far, but as he was on a contract he didn't care anymore. A senior student handed him a big, bright pink fan and instructed him to dance around like a prat, doing the kata.

Billy was almost done for. His health and mind were fading fast. If it wasn't for the intervention of a guy from the judo club, Billy might have ended up just another statistic of ****-house training.

Billy is now a recovering kuk sool addict. He is doing judo and is making a lot of progress. As of the time of writing, he hasn't touched a pink fan in over seven months. His strength and stamina are returning from the hard training of judo and he's only spending a fraction of what he used to on kuk sool. If it wasn't for judo therapy, he would still be believing that some standing armlocks ripped off from aikido would be enough to keep him safe on the ground.

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 7:23am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

FFS DON'T DO KUK SOOL WON AND DON'T ENCOURAGE THESE FUCKING BERKS BY GIVING THEM MONEY!!!!!!!1111!11!!!!!!111!!!ELEVENELENTYONE

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 8:02am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL, scarf hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Virus

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 9:47am

Style: MT,full contact JJ,Sudoku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucan
    Sounds a bit pricey for a black belt! Kuk Sool seems to be very money orientated but so are most martial arts, just the way of the world.
    i must have dropped on with my JJ club then. my last grading cost me £30 (£60) and minus mat fees, it went in the pot for a club post grading drinking session!!!

some of us do it for the love, not the money

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 10:13am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My last grading cost about a tenner, that included my mat fees. My BJA membership and insurance for the whole year doesn't cost £30!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 10:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    My last grading cost about a tenner, that included my mat fees. My BJA membership and insurance for the whole year doesn't cost £30!
    my last grading was my 2nd dan JJ - but like i said, most of it got put in the pot for the night out. And i felt i earned it, Money well spent. I moved and changed clubs/ associations. My first grading under the new club was done under Soke Bob Clarke (i went straight from white belt to 1st Dan!!!!) and cost me £130 ($260). £30 of this was on the correct badges I needed before i was allowed on the mat I was on the mat for less then 45 minutes, nobody hit me and i didnt hit anyone. I was that disgusted I never went back

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 10:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    virus
    glad i was able to avert my eyes from the shiny outfits and pink fans.

keep up the good work!!

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 12:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by reinerbs
    i've been to the school and it doesn't seem as bad as everyones saying. they don't spar the way i want, but i can always supplement that right? i also box, but there isn't a gym in my area, and it seems wolf and a few others with a KSW background is alright, not everyone seems to be a zealot if you keep an open mind and understand it's weaknesses and work on them on your own. why is it such a cancer on this forum though? i've tediously read through every KSW thread i could and it seems it's such a bitch school because they don't fight hxc, and they have gay ass fans. i can fight hxc on my own and i don't have to play with gay fans if i don't have to. for real, is it that bad?
    Reinerbs,

If all the people in the world turned on their vacuum cleaners simultaneously, that act wouldn't suck as much as kuk sool (aka Suk Tool) sucks. It sucks. Sucks. Sucks. Sucks!

The weapons training sucks......forms and a teeny tiny little bit of prearranged sparring with staves.....wooo woo! Yippeee! Prearranged staff sparring...oh yeah! Dammit, it is so good I gotta' go paddle the dolphin I'm so hot. NOT!
    If you want weapons training, I suggest you find a place that does filipino MA that stick spars.

Personal testimony here: I had a black belt in the Suk Tool (almost 2nd degree) and I knew the staff (pre-arranged) sparring, staff form, sword form and the god-forsaken jeouhl beouhng (did I get enough fucking vowels and consonants in there to make everybody who Romanizes the Korean language happy? No? Well **** you, then!) which are nunchakus. So I thought that I was t34 d34dly. So I quit Suk Tool and found a JKD Concepts school and joined up. Not long after that, they put a helmet on me and hockey gloves and gave me a stick and had me spar and I got me ass very kicked. Bruises. Welts. Headache. Blisters. Oh, and the confirmation that I had wasted the last 7 years of my life studying pure, unadulterated, 100% ****!

The Suk Tool weapons training sucked.....but since Suk Tool sucks, it should be no surprise that a component OF it also sucks.

Flee kuksool. Do not be enamoured and ensnared by the fluff and flash & cash of the whole mess.

Or join up anyway. And when the Great Grandmaster Suh, In-hyuk shows up, sign into the seminar and use the name "Brownlow Rutherford" and listen to the old asshole try to pronounce your name.

**** kuksool. **** the WKSA. **** the corporate GREED and lies it is based on.

Kuk Sool Lie #1: We didn't get all this **** from Hapkido.
    Kuk Sool Lie #2: Grandmaster learned his techniques from hundreds of Korean masters.
    Kuk Sool Lie #3: Kuk Sool works.
    Kuk Sool Lie #4: The fluffy pink fans are good for combat.
    Kuk Sool Lie #5: The "rope techniques" were used by ancient korean police.
    Kuk Sool Lie #6: We didn't get all this **** from Kung Fu.
    Kuk Sool Lie #7: Ki exists.
    Kuk Sool Lie #7b: Kuk Sool Ki excercises help increase ki.
    Kuk Sool Lie #7c: Ki increases your strength so that you have the strength of 7 men.
    Kuk Sool Lie #8: "The Grandmaster is OK with us studying different styles as long as we don't pollute the Kuk Sool." WRONG! WKSA black belts are FORBIDDEN to study other styles.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 12:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MSphinx
    LOL, scarf hold.

Holy fucking ****, Batman! I'm surprised that she didn't get fined or sentenced to 1,000,000,000,000,000 pushups or busted down to white belt and forced to retest at each belt level FULL PRICE EACH TEST for wearing a scarf.......because we all know that a multi-colored scarf is NOT a part of the Official WKSA Uniform!

Blashpemy! Kill the heretic! Burn the witch!!!!! Burn her!!!!!!!
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 12:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Virus,

If you went through your son's drawer and found a fluffy pink fan, what would you do?

or

Deckard: You're reading a magazine. You come across a full-page photo of a fluffy pink fan.
    Rachel: Is this testing whether I'm a replicant, or a Kuk Sool student, Mr. Deckard?

or

Deckard: Your boy shows you his butterfly collection....plus the fluffy pink fan.
    Rachel: I'd take him to the doctor.
    SEANBABY:
Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 182425262728 29303132 ... LastLast