T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 6:37pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkdbuck76
    Maybe....but take a good look at the actual techniques.

I can tell you that Juhn Hwan Bub would never work at UFC or by
    police or by the military.

Even with MMA gloves on, would you try a sah mah gui block against
    a lightning-fast punch?
    Can a handicapped person with a cane (not that painter guy either) try
    to do jepahng ei sool, do you think it would work? NO! How does a guy
    with a bum leg do something like that?
    You'll never do joo muhk maga ki bohn soo against someone at your mma gym.
    You'll never "flip" a guy with jung guhp sohn mok soo #6 much less break his wrist.
    The Almighty X-block....

So it is not only the training methods that blow goats, the techniques are by and
    large very far fetched if not something right out of the old Star Trek episodes.

I ain't punking you.... I'm just telling you like it is from my perspective. The earth is round, not flat and the flat earth line of thought has no potential.

I won't argue that everything in Kuk Sool is totally effective. I'm also not saying it's the most efficient art. I do however believe that there is plenty of usable stuff. Every person has different techniques that are better for them. It's a matter of picking what is the most useful for you. Also, an MMA ring situation is a great way to pressure test, but it's still not the same as a stree fight. A street fight doesn't start with both guys squaring up, understanding that we're both trained fighters ready to throw. Very often it does start with someone grabbing you in some fashion like the clothes or whatever. Anyway, getting to the point, if you want to know if I've used any Kuk Sool in a real mma style sparring environment, yes I have. These are the techniques I've used (sorry to non-ks people that don't know what these are):
    Sohn Ppae Gi: pretty much the whole set
    Too Ki: 1, 3, 11, 12
    Bahng Too Ki: 1, 2
    Kwahn Juhl Ki: 12

I've used other techniques in situations like family members and friends that thought it would be fun to pick on me because I do MA.
    Sohn Mok Soo: 2, 11
    Eue Bohk Soo: 8
    Ahn Sohn Mohk Soo: 6
    Juhn Guhp Sohn Mohk Soo: 1

And I've also trained these and other techniques in a non-static environment. Meaning, I have my training partner grab me and try to hit me while I do a technique. He doesn't know what's coming so he can't comply. I'll admit some techniques just don't work, but I've found my cluster of techniques that do work for me. You can believe me or not. I'll admit there is a lot of shoddy teaching out there in Kuk Sool. If you would read this thread in it's entirety you'd see that I've admitted that in a number of places. For the most part it's up to the student to learn in the dojang the intricacies, and then work on their own on applying them in an alive manner. Is this ideal? No. That's one of the reasons I don't train in it anymore. It has nothing to do with the art itself. It has everything to do with the organization and the general teaching practices available. Anyway, this thread has run it's course, and I feel I've repeated myself too many times. If you have further questions for me, just read the thread. I'm fairly certain I've answered them at some point. The rest of you can feel free to debate the usefulness/practicality/whatever of Kuk Sool. I'm done now though. I hope I've answered you all of you questions. If not, do as I advised above and re-read the thread. Chances are I've answered your question earlier.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 7:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kuk Sool Won

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, good idea. This will be my last post as well. My final word on the subject is this...

I believe KSW is an excellent MA but it has it's flaws.

+ Covers all points of martial arts

+ KSW is more than adequate for self-defense

+ I have found it's internal training to be right on the money (in comparison to Tai Chi, Ba Gua, and Son (Zen) techniques.

+ KSN has never treated me or the students from my school with anything but respect and which he also demands. I have had the opportunity to train with his sons as well. Good people high level MA all around.

- There are too many bad teachers. Quality has been sacrificed for quantity

- Too much focus on the youth and the "non-martial artist" market". Very few teachers teach the traditional methods. (Which do work)

- Not enough sparring and fighting emphasized.

But, I've done well and will continue to do so.

-Peace out

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 10:44pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CamRob, what are your qualifications for evaluating something in comparison to Seon?

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 6:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I've used other techniques in situations like family members and friends that thought it would be fun to pick on me because I do MA.
    Sohn Mok Soo: 2, 11
    Eue Bohk Soo: 8
    Ahn Sohn Mohk Soo: 6
    Juhn Guhp Sohn Mohk Soo: 1"

Juhn Guhp Sohn Mohk Soo: 1...did you add the side kick to the ribs on the way down?
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 7:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CamRob
    Yeah, good idea. This will be my last post as well. My final word on the subject is this...

I believe KSW is an excellent MA but it has it's flaws.

+ Covers all points of martial arts
    money scheme

+ KSW is more than adequate for self-defense

+ I have found it's internal training to be right on the money (in comparison to Tai Chi, Ba Gua, and Son (Zen) techniques.

+ KSN has never treated me or the students from my school with anything but respect and which he also demands. I have had the opportunity to train with his sons as well. Good people high level MA all around.

- There are too many bad teachers. Quality has been sacrificed for quantity
    [I]Money scheme. If Crook Sah Nym treats people with respect, then you must
    ask yourself, "Self, how could a respectable and respectful man let the above
    happen (ie too many bad teachers. Quality has been sacrificed for quantity
    )"[/
    I]

- Too much focus on the youth and the "non-martial artist" market".
    Money scheme

Very few teachers teach the traditional methods. (Which do work)
    Another money scheme. Traditional methods...like...trying to catch
    punches with a belt--see my rant on po bahk sool above

- Not enough sparring and fighting emphasized.
    Kuk Sah Nym's note to self: Can't let the world know that 90% of my guys couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag with scissors in each hand. I'd better distract them with dahng bong, jool bohng and outrageously-priced uniforms, weapons and textbooks. Yep...gotta' get them learning from the textbook! The textbook will solve the quality problem we face here at WKSA.

But, I've done well and will continue to do so.
    Very good for you. I wish you happiness and I hope that someday you find a good mma gym or any place of training that emphasizes full resistance, alive training and an emphasis on ability rather than certification.

-Peace out
    Personal note: What is UP with the Kuksool ranch in Tomball, TX? A hwarang fantasy camp? And if choose the red pill and you do leave Suk Tool, please avoid at all costs the George Dillman group...he can make you pee your pants, though, not with pressure points, but by simply laughing at him.
    Last edited by jkdbuck76; 10/13/2006 7:13am at .
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 9:28am

Style: KrottyCrappleAnimeLARPing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :pity: :pity: :pity: Wolfy Baby. Cry me a river, Build yourself a bridge and get over it. Your Martal Art Sucks.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 11:03am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I said, I'm not going to talk about Kuk Sool any more, but I'm curious. What's your MA?

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 11:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lowestoft is pretty much the centre of you know what in the U.K.

So probably ex you know what.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 1:20pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, my guess is he went to a Lowestoft demo and formed his opinion there. I could be wrong, but I don't know since this noob won't put a specific style in his field.

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 4:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Former Kuk Sool Student

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wanted to add that I have taught most of my friends a few of the basic joint locks (names escape me at this time) and one of them had an opportunity to use one.

A "gentleman" grabbed him be the collar of his shirt. He grabbed the arm, rotated it around and flexed down on it.

Guy's wrist was dislocated. I didn't even know that was possible.

Of course, it's not like KSW is the only place that teaches that move, or utilizes it. But that's where I had learned it, and it worked out pretty well for him.

But yes, in my experience, KSW schools have a lot of variety in quality, and I feel that the organization itself is about as corrupt as any other large business gets.