Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 10:26am

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I woke up this morning and turned on the TV and was basicly suckered punch in the brain when the first thing I heard was "With a special live report, our anchor Miss Whoever, is learning Krav Maga."

Turns out Fox 5 (Las Vegas, NV) was doing a report about a local TKD school's ( www.brandonsata.com ) Krav Maga, also turns out he was the guy who helped train JLo for her movie role and the robo-chick in T3. It showed some of their students practicing punch combinations and techniques. The reporter had questions about the training and Mr. Brandon replied with something like "We are self defense based, we do whatever we can to get out of a situation, even running, but if we have to we'll finish the fight." Then he explained that they train with a high heart rate so it's just like it would be in a real life situation...sounded like to me they were just giving an excuse for turning into an aerobic kickboxing program like so many critics have said about the system.

The techniques his students were doing look like they were choreographing a fight versus a technique. They did look like they were working out for quite some time, but still, alot of it looked week. Guy throughs a punch, you do this, and that, blah blah blah. While some real militant looking dude walk around them yelling punch orders or something.

There's a another krav maga school out here, but unlike the one in the newscast it just teaches Krav Maga, I think it's called Close Combat system or something to that extent, can't seem to locate a link for it :(

Just something I thought I'd share with you all. The local news here will do a report from a martial arts school about once every 3 months just to have some filler material.

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 11:06am

Style: GJJ, Judo, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you have to keep in mind that if a KM school has been teaching for less than two or three years then they are part of the affliate program and probably can only teach up to the second or third level of the system. There are only a few places outside of Los Angeles that have the ability to teach the entire system, Philly, Costa Mesa, New York come to mind since they are all schools run by original students of the US Chief Instructor (Or in the case of one of the NY school, students of the current head of the system). The begining levels of the system teach primarily movement, striking and basic techniques against various chokes, bearhugs and various strikes so this is probably what you saw on the news segment. I'm guessing this cause they wouldn't put the newcaster into the more advanced class without knowing the basics of the system.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Krav Maga is absolute ****. didnt I teach you people anything:

http://www.bullshido.com/article_read.asp?id=102
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 11:14am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dozens of years of APPLICATION in ISRAEL would easily weed out any system that is "absolute ****".

You sound like a moron.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 11:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude...if you believe that your an idiot.

The Israeli military uses GUNS and TANKS and COPTERS with MISSLES.

The only time they need to get physical is when they grab an undernourished 17 year old Palestinian by the scruff and throw him into a dirty jail cell.

Nothing in Krav Maga has not been seen before and already discarded as WORTHLESS SH!T.

I wonder when J-Lo will be a Krav Maga black belt?
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 11:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^^^^^^ word.

---------
    Shut up and train

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 11:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Nothing in Krav Maga has not been seen before and already discarded as WORTHLESS SH!T"

As far as I know KM is a conglomeration of techniques taken from different systems. The only things that have been done is to take those techniques and apply KM principles (attack and defend at the same time, use techniques that minimize damage to oneself, use the body's reflexive reactions etc.) So looking at it that way, yes you can say there is nothing there that is "original." KM teachs Thai-style round kicks, Cavalier throws from Akijujitsu, basic punches from western boxing and so on.

As far as J-Lo getting a black belt. From my understanding it would take somewhere between 4-5 years of training assuming she is invited to test for her first level black belt.

Edited to add 4-5 years time frame for BB

Edited by - MrApollinax on July 15 2003 11:59:42

Marasmos

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 12:22pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Peedee, if you're ever in SoCal, drop me a line, and we can have a friendly little match under whatever rules you propose.

If you think KM is ****, you have never seen KM.

That is not to say that ***all*** KM is good. I'm sure it's taught poorly in a lot of places.

Some schools do tend to teach it as a get-in-shape program for soccer moms.

Myself, I'm still recovering from yesterdays pankrase rules and no-protective gear sparring. My theighs are sore from all the low kicks I took, my jaw hurts because I didn't tap out to a face lock soon enough, and my knee, which I banged into my instructor's knee is refusing to bend.

Do you want to tell me I'm doing cardio kickboxing?

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 12:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hapko, where in SoCal are you? which KM school do you go to?

Marasmos

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 12:40pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    San Diego. I go to the El Cajon school.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast