Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2006 4:30pm

Style: Unemployed Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

APARTMENT HEAVY BAG TRAINING

I finally forked over the $$ and bought myself a heavy bag stand for my apartment.I have a 6' Muai Thai bag & a traditional wallbag.The only problem was the heavy bag would keep tearing out the ceiling bolts from the ceiling and even knocking the upstairs neighbors' furniture around.I could hear their furniture rattling.Once I even knocked their ashtray off of a desk.For $180 the heavy bag stand is worth every penny.I have it mounted with a smaller heavy bag behind it (secured with black duct tape) to keep it from swinging or moving.I like to be able to blast the hell out of it without having to wait for it to return.I have several hundreds of pounds of weights to hold the bag stand in place.I even have mounted a traditional wallbag to the side of the stand.Now I can practice Wing Chun chain punches along with Muai Thai round kicks & elbows etc.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heavy Bag Stand.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	6281
    Last edited by DON'T SH*T ME !; 7/24/2006 4:51pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2006 4:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never been able to get a heavy bag stand to be worth a **** without actually mounting it to the ground.

As for a wing chun wall bag...I've only found posting on a tree to be effective since I don't have any concrete walls. Mounting on a stud shakes my whole house.

I'm still trying to find a good place to mount my dummy.

One note on your picture...it looks like you can't get close to your wall bag w/out a pole in your nuts...that's got to suck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2006 4:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The pole actually goes off at a 45 degree angle & is not in the way at all.I tried to mount my wallbag on a tree out in the woods but everytime I found a place to mount it within several months some real estate developers would tear down the woods & build a subdivision or office complex on it.There is almost no undeveloped land anywhere near where I live.There are several trees in my apartment complex but the neighbors take their dogs out there to piss on & crap by the trees.I don't like to train around dog piss & crap.Plus I like to train in private without people watching "the crazy guy who beats on trees".People watching & bothering me while I am training gets on my nerves.
    Last edited by DON'T SH*T ME !; 7/24/2006 5:10pm at .

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    7/24/2006 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Amp, I mounted my Wallbag on a plank, which I lean onto walls or trees. Here it is leaning on my Dummy stand, which has 250 lbs on concret in its base.

The leaning plank method is a WT secret, but I will share it with you.....:-) If you do not hit correctly it rebounds back up off the wall. It helps teach you to leave your power in the target. You do have to put a block behind it on the ground so the base doesnt get pushed into the wall.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2006 6:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll have to try that leaning plank method.I can get plywood at Home Depot.What do you mean about putting a block behind it?Can you please take a "side view" photo of your stand & post it here.
    Last edited by DON'T SH*T ME !; 7/24/2006 6:42pm at .

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    7/24/2006 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mine is 2 planks, 7 and a half inch by 1 and a half inch, of redwood, with three of the same cross wise for backing. Very solid and heavy. You can kinda see it from behind in this shot of my dummy:

The three cross backing boards go at the top, middle and bottom obviously. When I used it indoors I put some foam rubber floor matt on the top back to protect the wall and some upside down carpet on the bottom. Its gotta be on a solid part of the wall obviously, not open drywall. I used to put it inside a door jam since that is majorly reinforced.

edit: the block sits on the floor behind the bottom so the thing stays leaning against the wall. You can see part of a red circular weight I have in there for this in the image. If it goes vertical it then falls over at you. It can be fun to punch at it this way, but the idea is to not have it slamming into the wall every hit, but for it to stay stuck to the wall because of each hit. It is not screwed in remember, but only leaning. That way you can take it to a park, or put it out of the way in a closet when the landlord comes around....:-)
    Last edited by Dr._Tzun_Tzu; 7/24/2006 6:48pm at .

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2006 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a similar problem with my heavy bag in the garage - the vibration would shake the beams and was way too noisy, until I replaced the rope with a couple of loops of elastic bungee cord. The bungee absorbed about 90% of the vibration - problem solved.

This wouldn't necessarily work in an apartment, but it's a good trick in the right setting.

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    7/24/2006 7:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    I had a similar problem with my heavy bag in the garage - the vibration would shake the beams and was way too noisy, until I replaced the rope with a couple of loops of elastic bungee cord. The bungee absorbed about 90% of the vibration - problem solved.

This wouldn't necessarily work in an apartment, but it's a good trick in the right setting.
    Bingo. Loop the elastic a couple / three times and secure it with a wire rope clamp (u-bolt and clamp) or tie it. I like to clamp it so I can adjust it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2006 7:22pm

Style: MT, BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh thats just nifty. I'm sick of carrying a heavy bag down stairs to hang from a tree, wheather is sucky so I can't always do it on the days I plan.
    A bag stand wouldn't happen to be okay for upstiars apartment use would it? Speaking of indoor bags, there wouldn't happen to be a less noisey alternative to speed bag would there?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2006 8:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    Hey Amp, I mounted my Wallbag on a plank, which I lean onto walls or trees. Here it is leaning on my Dummy stand, which has 250 lbs on concret in its base.

The leaning plank method is a WT secret, but I will share it with you.....:-) If you do not hit correctly it rebounds back up off the wall. It helps teach you to leave your power in the target. You do have to put a block behind it on the ground so the base doesnt get pushed into the wall.
    Good idea!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast