Sponsored Links Spacer Image

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    7/23/2006 7:37pm

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Me Crappling [video]

Yah. I've never had the benifit of a real jiu jitsu instructor teaching me how to work the ground game. In fact, everything I do is emulative, just me doing as a I see others do. The worst part of this is, even though I want to, the closest thing google finds for me is 3 hours away, and jiu jitsu or not, my work schedule doesn't allow that kind of thing.

So, the only option I can find right now is for me to learn as I learned so many things in life. Trial and error. Here's a video of me grappling with two ex-wrestlers (also my good friends). They were more than happy to roll, and help film this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYbSzpSUYwI

Bunch of really ametuerish mistakes sprinkled all throughout (on my part). All I know how to do (?) is an armbar and a rear choke, so I was a bit limited. I did use a bit of an arm torque type thing at about '6:42, but again, it's just something I saw, and then applied with my limited knowledge of body mechanics. There's the really great "omg he has back control wtf do I do?" moment at '7:20, but I'll just let you tear it apart yourselves.

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    7/23/2006 7:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you want us to say? It looked like some dudes who watch the UFC trying to grapple. It's not like we can offer you any reasonable criticism without you having a basic understanding of grappling.

Oh, and your friends were shitty wrestlers.

Add that to the fact that you were way bigger than either of them... basically I have no idea why you posted this video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Posted On:
    7/23/2006 8:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's my fuckin' answer, then. "Can't help ya."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2006 8:18pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I havent watched it all yet, but you should find someone your size and/or with actual training to grapple with. Also, there other submissions than the arm bar and the RNC. that figure four could have been done alittle better

here's a link

http://www.bjj.org/techniques/bjjfig.../side/keylock/

bjj.org has alot of useful techniques, but a website can't take the place of a good instructor.

We have a guy at my school who is your size and grappled the same way you do when he started about 8 months ago. He started taking some private classes and focused on his technique, instead of just his size and strength. Now he's one of the best white belts in the class and will be getting his blue soon.
    Last edited by Method2Madness; 7/23/2006 8:23pm at .

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    7/23/2006 8:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by airman kai
    There's my fuckin' answer, then. "Can't help ya."
    Here's a more realistic answer: roll with people who have experience. Find a Judo club or something in your area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    7/23/2006 8:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Major props for posting a vid

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2006 8:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oy... btw your sparring needs a lot of work too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R12D69wDifY

Find youself:

a. an instructor
    b. a sparring partner who is remotely capible of throwing a jab/headshot so you learn to keep you hands up.

Right now you're winning based on size and strength and not much else.

Oh, and as a suggestion, I really wouldn't post crap about other martial arts videos on YouTube (epsecially the after what you said about the Texas Pekiti group) if that's the best that you've got. To pull from Armies of Darkness, in terms of a fight game, all you have is Jack and **** and Jack left town. Should you tangle with anyone with a bit of skills and anywhere near your strength level, you're going to have a rude awakening.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Posted On:
    7/23/2006 8:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said, man, 3 hours away. Google ain't helping.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    7/23/2006 8:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Countdown to guantanamo...

Also:

This isn't an armbar, why did your friend tap out at this point?

Seriously, seek a real teacher because this kind of thing is only going to be harmful to your game in the long run.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2006 8:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well.......the first thing I saw was your buddy underhook you and pull you into mount.....Meh. Wresting you say?

Get some guys more your size, GET SOME MATS TO ROLL ON (unless you like pretty red marks and friction burns on your knees), and get some decent instruction.

There are honestly to many technical problems with the crappling in the vid to list. If you can't get any grappling instruction, and you would seriously like to learn how to grapple, you need to find a willing training partner or two (preferably someone with GOOD high school or college wrestling experience, if not actual BJJ/GJJ/AJJ or other resistant jujitsu experience) and develop a good grappling base, i.e., how do guard, how do solid base, how do positioning/transitioning between positions, then and only then go to how do arm bar/RNC.

Generally, and this is probably what you wanted to hear, your positioning, transitioing, body control and submission technique (the arm bars, and RNC) are lacking quite a bit.

The good thing is that there is no where but up for you, so good luck.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast