Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 8:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Working from the Mount Recently

So recently when working from the mount I've been fooling around with foot positioning. Grapevining one leg, both legs, and some other strategies. I recently started playing around with placing my feet against my opponent's hips (on their hip bone) in a sort of V shape if that makes any sense.

The advantages to this that I've been playing with are that I can quite easily hold the mount higher on the chest of even stronger guys. I also feel like if I play my foot in their hipbone correctly I have a little bit of leverage pressing down on their hips when they try to bridge. And, of course, I'm riding higher on their chest and all the advantages that come with that.

Now I haven't strictly been taught this and I've mostly just been playing around with it, I was hoping to get some other thoughts from people who have tried this, or who have other foot placement suggestions for mount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Exasperated.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 8:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fairly tangental:
    One thing I tell people now, though I was never explicitly taught it, is that the mount shouldn't be viewed as a static position even if you're mainly just holding position.

Instead you should be constantly reacting to your opponent (or better yet dictating what options they have). This means switching from grapevines to the highmount you describe with hips blocked to an s-mount etc.

As for explicit foot positioning, this makes it more dynamic and often more happenstance.

Or more often, I just let people underhook one leg and then mount-triangle them.

You'll probably get more (and contradictory) input from the more cerebral grapplers and the more experienced. I've just been itching to say something about the dynamic mount stuff.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 8:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's better cooking to be had in side control ... more pressure on the opponent's chest and harder to escape from.

In mount, I like to goooooo!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 9:50pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I perfer side control as well for that very reason. Once I get side control, I rarely transition to mount. The people I roll with have gotten used to this and have stopped blocking me by putting one leg up to block the mount so now if I want to go to mount I have no resistance.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 12:44am

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The feet on the hips thing is something I've seen in Bravo's book to break a bear hug from the guy underneath. I'm a heavy guy, so I tend to stick with the basic "get your legs under the armpits" technique.
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 11:57am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samfoo
    So recently when working from the mount I've been fooling around with foot positioning. Grapevining one leg, both legs, and some other strategies. I recently started playing around with placing my feet against my opponent's hips (on their hip bone) in a sort of V shape if that makes any sense.

The advantages to this that I've been playing with are that I can quite easily hold the mount higher on the chest of even stronger guys. I also feel like if I play my foot in their hipbone correctly I have a little bit of leverage pressing down on their hips when they try to bridge. And, of course, I'm riding higher on their chest and all the advantages that come with that.

Now I haven't strictly been taught this and I've mostly just been playing around with it, I was hoping to get some other thoughts from people who have tried this, or who have other foot placement suggestions for mount.
    I've been using the "feet on hips" mount position a lot myself recently. I tend to use an "underhook and head control" style mount, and the feet on hips seems to give a lot more leverage to use bodyweight to force his arm up and into an isolated position.

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/10/2006 11:12am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa

Or more often, I just let people underhook one leg and then mount-triangle them.
    People try to underhook the leg? WTF? Don't they just block the knee with their elbow, and bridge and roll? I don't understand why someone would voluntarily trap their arm under your leg, and present that triangle.

I've got to agree with Drew here, if I've got side control, I'll almost never try to go for mount. I'll kick it over to kesa, and drive forward with my legs, putting pressure on their ribs. If I'm really feeling mean spirited I'll also neck crank them a little too. Without fail they will flail and hand me something to attack.

If I get mount, I'll attack immediately, or transition to side control. Static mount = bridge and roll reversal sooner or later every time for me, both giving and receiving. I'll play around with more grapevining or Sam's little foot to hip trick and give it a shot though.

Exasperated.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/10/2006 11:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't they upa?
    Probably because I defend that and don't have my body positioned in such a way as to make that the desirable escape. Do you grapple?

Going out the backdoor is a frequent escape, though it can leave you open to other attacks.

If you know what you're doing you're not likely to get bucked off that easy or right away, which is why you have to string together escape attempts while under mount. You can't (or shouldn't be able to) just upa out at the first instance.

If your preference for side is that strong, it is because your mount sucks (compared to your side).

Light Heavyweight

Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/10/2006 11:51am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand that side control is easier for a lot of people to hold, but if your mount is really that unstable, it's more your fault than the nature of mount itself. Being caught under a good mount can be terrifying experience.

Exasperated.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/10/2006 12:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Side is easier to learn to hold as well.
    Took me over 6 months to stop switching to side when I had secured a americana from mount.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast