Page 35 of 35 First ... 253132333435

Style
    sanchin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soft touch View Post
    I meant safer for the person throwing the kick, aka two leg kicks are much easier to get away with than one head kick (and yes I'd agree with the minimums other than exceptionally lucky times)

I'd say liver shots well placed are probably the most reliable to take a man down (they still won't always, but having a small reaction to liver hits is much rarer than a man with a decent chin)
    I also am with you on the lack of protection thing, though I quite like some gloves so that I can hit properly, and a cup because I don't want split testicles

okay I'll agree with how you're now presenting side kicks, though with the bull rush type guys pretty much everything works like that on them

Sent from my GT-I9100
    You're right, it's safer for the one throwing. But being very fast minimizes the risk so that it isn't always a bad idea in a fight.

I have more luck with the solarplexus, personally, but then again I'm also a fan of the front kick of karate. Nobody I know can take a solid front kick there, because they're usually moving in with a punch. Liver is a good bet too.

As for gloves, I've beaten the **** out of my hands so they look like something out of a horror movie - no chance in hell of me even bruising my hand as long as I keep a good fist. A cup is smart, it's true.

Yeah everything works on a "charger" lol. That's why it's so fun to fight one. It's like a living, breathing heavy bag!

Style
    sanchin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Fair enough.

My two martial interests these days are capoeira and arnis - opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to the height of kicks. I've always been naturally flexible, so kicking at head height has never been an issue for me, and was able to do so from my first class onwards.

That said, I would never kick to the head in a legitimate fight. It's a fight finisher, sure, but the odds of something going wrong make it not worth it to me.
    I would love to study capoeira. What do you think of it? I wonder at the practicality of it, but being able to kick solidly from the ground could be very useful. Although with my current skill set, arnis might be more practical.

As far as weapons go... let me first declare very pointedly that I am *way* out of my depth here. So I'm more just hypothesizing than anything. But personally, I'd that kicks are incredibly important when it comes to weapons. The increase in distance, the "surprise" factor, and the potential for a sweep kick or even a weapon deflection makes them valuable IMO.

High kicks are even more risky if a knife is involved, although I'd still consider using them for most blunt weapon opponents. Ultimately, though, nothing beats an eye gouge for a weapons scenario. The intraocular pressure increase will knock the BG out damned fast, and if it somehow doesn't he'll be blind anyway.

Knives are scary, though.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent, Mr. Nichols, exxxxcccelllllent !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Siling Labuyo Arnis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Nichols View Post
    I would love to study capoeira. What do you think of it? I wonder at the practicality of it, but being able to kick solidly from the ground could be very useful.
    I study it for fun and fitness, rather than for practicality. That said, the footwork and misdirection are good add-ons to your actual fight method. I was kinda surprised when I noted that the ginga footwork had crept into my arnis.

As far as weapons go... let me first declare very pointedly that I am *way* out of my depth here. So I'm more just hypothesizing than anything. But personally, I'd that kicks are incredibly important when it comes to weapons. The increase in distance, the "surprise" factor, and the potential for a sweep kick or even a weapon deflection makes them valuable IMO.
    Weapons bring two factors to the table, namely increased reach, and force multiplication. Facing off with my clone, I can hit his head with my stick (and easily hard enough to KTFO) at a distance where my clone is still unable to hit me with his foot. With the knife, any limb that comes within reach is a target, and my ability to do lethal damage with little force means I don't have to commit in any way to the strike. My students are free to kick high if they wish, but typically they don't anymore after catching a stick across the shin.

When we do knifework in class, the first drill we always do is on footwork and avoiding the knife. The second drill we always do is again on footwork and avoiding the knife, but we add the counter-cut on the opponent's knife wielding hand.

Style
    sanchin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I study it for fun and fitness, rather than for practicality. That said, the footwork and misdirection are good add-ons to your actual fight method. I was kinda surprised when I noted that the ginga footwork had crept into my arnis.

Weapons bring two factors to the table, namely increased reach, and force multiplication. Facing off with my clone, I can hit his head with my stick (and easily hard enough to KTFO) at a distance where my clone is still unable to hit me with his foot. With the knife, any limb that comes within reach is a target, and my ability to do lethal damage with little force means I don't have to commit in any way to the strike. My students are free to kick high if they wish, but typically they don't anymore after catching a stick across the shin.

When we do knifework in class, the first drill we always do is on footwork and avoiding the knife. The second drill we always do is again on footwork and avoiding the knife, but we add the counter-cut on the opponent's knife wielding hand.
    Sounds like I might want to check out arnis instead - I need some practical weapons training. A modern fighter can only go so far with nunchaku and bokken.

I agree especially with the knife thing - I got cut by a knife once on the forearm (I lunged in, what everyone says NOT to do), and the guy had no clue what he was doing. If I tried any high kicks on somebody who was good, I'm sure I'd be lying in a pool of blood. And a couple testicles.

There are two kicks that I've found are more surprising than most when thrown in closer quarters: crescent kick and high front kick. I think the first could work well (with great footwork of course) as long as he had a stick or somesuch. At that range, the weapon wouldn't necessarily be neutralized, but it would be out of its optimal distance.

Haven't tried it recently though. I need to find some halfway-competent people in my area that'll train hard.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Torch View Post
    Just some friends of mine. By "real" I mean not some white belt. I guess I should have said experianced.
    What styles are they from?

Virtually all kickboxers deem high kicks a legitimate kick and nearly all kickboxers use it.

Style
    Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The notion that high kicks don't work is an outdated myth made by the RBSD crowd years back. The idea was that, in Streetrealm, an attacker would just grab your leg if you tried to kick him in the head. In MMA we've seen that as a viable counter, but it doesn't completely fucking negate the gamut of kicks above the waist. I'd even argue that head kicks play a more prominent role than high single leg takedown.

https://books.google.com/books?id=o9...20work&f=false

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can only see a high kick being useful if your opponent if barely even standing from a long fight and you just want to finish them off in style lol. Even in that situation though, it's still unrealistic to assume that your opponent will **** up hard enough for your high kick to work

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting replies. This seems to be a continued debate and I think is up to the individual.

Page 35 of 35 First ... 253132333435