Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2014 7:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    for some reason your post doesn't show?? This I posted in TMA low KK for the :04 second in Andy Hug heel to thigh fight ender. I'm including it here because, ****! there are some great kicks! WTF do you call that one at :45? Spinning Wheel Fake + Roundhouse? I got kicks, but I wish I had that one! And to first time poster Boydy33, yes, if I ever have to use ma in a fight, I'd think a hard front snap to the shin would work at a higher percentage than going high, but as my Kajukenbo sifu said, practice kicking the head sparring here and the low kicks on the street will be easy. 'Cept for me though, since I'm old and fat no one thinks I can still move so I might do a side kick to the neck or chin (works like a charm with new bbs in the dojo, then they don't let me do it again).
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2014 4:41pm

Style: mt/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have 2 head kick KOs from about 2 weeks ago. Will upload on youtube /post later

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/03/2014 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saying kicks to the head don't work in the street is a lot like saying punches to the face don't work in the street cause they open up the ribs on your punching side. Technically true, yet casts doubt on the experience of those saying it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2014 11:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The high kick is most felicitous for kicking the self upon forgoing the flying knee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Sj8eGL_n0

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2014 6:56pm

Style: sanchin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

High kicks are useful.

For somebody like me, who's trained in the art of pretty much only throwing headkicks, high kicks are *very* useful in the street.

But most experienced MAs I know will agree that a truly effective low kick is just as difficult to master as a truly effective high kick.

Reasoning? We naturally rise or remain level when standing on one leg. The most effective low kick is one that makes great use of body weight and gravity, and this can put you in a disadvantageous position.

I've knocked people down with leg kicks, yes. But I've also knocked teeth out with relatively light contact to the head.

As long as you're good enough to keep your balance and pick that leg up (and bring it back!) quickly, there's no reason you can't use head kicks in a fight - real or fake (in the ring).

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/28/2014 9:04pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "In da street." I can't WAIT to see what you typed in the wing chun thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2014 11:21pm

Style: Goju Ryu/Balintawak Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Nichols View Post
    For somebody like me, who's trained in the art of pretty much only throwing headkicks, high kicks are *very* useful in the street.

But most experienced MAs I know will agree that a truly effective low kick is just as difficult to master as a truly effective high kick.

Reasoning? We naturally rise or remain level when standing on one leg. The most effective low kick is one that makes great use of body weight and gravity, and this can put you in a disadvantageous position.

I've knocked people down with leg kicks, yes. But I've also knocked teeth out with relatively light contact to the head.

As long as you're good enough to keep your balance and pick that leg up (and bring it back!) quickly, there's no reason you can't use head kicks in a fight - real or fake (in the ring).
    even if we concede all the points you give (I wouldn't, hip motion is much more important to a low kick than gravity) then basic logic would still tell you high kicks are much harder to use, because of the fact that the leg has to go further, and so you're vulnerable for longer. (as well as more vulnerable due to the hip abduction that's more significant in a high kick than a low one)

Sent from my GT-I9100

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2014 1:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soft touch View Post
    even if we concede all the points you give (I wouldn't, hip motion is much more important to a low kick than gravity) then basic logic would still tell you high kicks are much harder to use, because of the fact that the leg has to go further, and so you're vulnerable for longer. (as well as more vulnerable due to the hip abduction that's more significant in a high kick than a low one)

Sent from my GT-I9100
    Of course hip motion is more important. That's true for either kick. However, since the body tends to naturalyl rise, most people who throw leg kicks lose a great deal of power by straightening the supporting leg as the kicking leg travels.

I'm sure you've seen this too. Maybe you even do it.

I'm actually better at high kicks than low kicks, so it's possible I'm biased here. But as far as throwing an effective kick, it seems to me that the low one is more difficult, particularly during recovery.

Assuming, of course, we're talking roundhouse and side kicks. Front kicks probably don't fit this generalization.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2014 1:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yes, fights can occur on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    "In da street." I can't WAIT to see what you typed in the wing chun thread.
    You really do seem to be hung up on the whole "street fight" thing. What exactly is it that offends you? Do fights not occur "on the street"?

Is it that you think running into fights in bars, going home from work, walking outside in the evening, getting money from an ATM, etc., is unlikely?

Or do you opine that there is no discernible difference between a fight in real life and a fight in your gym, dojo, dojang, or cage?

Seriously, let me know what your actual complaint is - I can either let you know why you're wrong, or admit that I'm wrong. (Yes, I'm good at doing the latter. I've had lots of practice).

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/03/2014 10:26am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Nichols View Post
    You really do seem to be hung up on the whole "street fight" thing. What exactly is it that offends you? Do fights not occur "on the street"?

Is it that you think running into fights in bars, going home from work, walking outside in the evening, getting money from an ATM, etc., is unlikely?

Or do you opine that there is no discernible difference between a fight in real life and a fight in your gym, dojo, dojang, or cage?

Seriously, let me know what your actual complaint is - I can either let you know why you're wrong, or admit that I'm wrong. (Yes, I'm good at doing the latter. I've had lots of practice).
    Actually, it's completely hilarious to me, it is your and other posters personal hang up. I bring it up to watch people get offended. I find it funny, after nearly ten years on this website, that people still use "street fighting" as a form of proof. You joined, posted in two threads and promptly used street fighting in both to make a point. Now you are incensed and assume I believe "that there is no discernible difference between a fight in real life and a fight in your gym, dojo, dojang, or cage" when there is nothing in my post to imply what you suggest.