Sponsored Links Spacer Image

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 10:36pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd just like to weigh in that I've knocked people out with head kicks, and my mediocrity as a striker is renowned.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    3/06/2010 9:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, to sum up the the pro-high kick arguments for all of you newbies who feel compelled to drag up this old thread again:

1 - It works in MMA (Pride, UFC, WEC, etc).
    2 - Many members of this board have used them in "teh d34dly str33t," so they must be effective.

To sum up the anti-high kick arguments:

1 - Even competent strikers in MMA get taken down attempting high kicks (rebuttal - so go learn some ground fighting).
    2 - Few people have the flexibility necessary to effectively employ high kicks without telegraphing and being off balance (rebutal - so fuckin' start a stretching routine).

Conclusions, they are a high risk/high reward move that even relatively competent strikers can pull off under the right conditions. That said, only a moron would think that high kicks are the be-all and end-all of MA and rely exclusively on them.

Please only post if you have convincing evidence to counter the above.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 11:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh hell TEA... who cares about countering?

I signed up in heavy weights in a tournie, once upon a time, and Ed Parker put his arm around me and said, "Go to middle weights." I proudly told him that I was 175 lbs (one pound made me a heavy!). Ed smirked and said, "Your funeral." The asshole I drew came up to me before the fight and told me that it was too bad he was my draw because he was going to beat the **** out of me. He kept saying stuff like that. Very assholish. So we fought, and he chased me out of bounds twice. Second time I got told that it would be a point off if I went out of bounds again. So I stood there and waited for his aggressive attack. As he came in I roundhoused his head as hard as I could. I was DQ'd, but whatdayaknow, high kicks work....
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 1:45am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After reviewing approximately half of this thread, I'd like to raise a point:
    The main criticism of the head kick is that it opens you up to a kick-catch, from which your opponent can secure a takedown easily.
    Between body kicks, leg kicks, and head kicks, it seems to me that body kicks get caught the most often, followed by leg kicks, and distantly followed by head kicks. This is certainly true in my own experience, both in catching kicks my opponents throw and having my own kicks caught.
    In practice, catching a kick involves a certain amount of eating the kick, and most people aren't willing to do this with their face. I'm certainly not.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 11:03am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    After reviewing approximately half of this thread, I'd like to raise a point:
    The main criticism of the head kick is that it opens you up to a kick-catch, from which your opponent can secure a takedown easily.
    Between body kicks, leg kicks, and head kicks, it seems to me that body kicks get caught the most often, followed by leg kicks, and distantly followed by head kicks. This is certainly true in my own experience, both in catching kicks my opponents throw and having my own kicks caught.
    In practice, catching a kick involves a certain amount of eating the kick, and most people aren't willing to do this with their face. I'm certainly not.
    I've thought this too. Hell, people can almost accidentally catch body kicks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 11:32am

Style: Tai Chi, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are high-kicks really useful?

Nope, clearly totally useless...

Last edited by roadsterdriver; 6/21/2011 11:35am at . Reason: or the second time...

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2011 8:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    again, useless:
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
  8. eloneamigo

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 11:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roadsterdriver View Post
    Are high-kicks really useful?

Nope, clearly totally useless...

Clearly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2012 9:44pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends who your fighting and how you execute them. (Set ups,exits, etc)

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2012 2:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shs101 View Post
    Depends who your fighting and how you execute them. (Set ups,exits, etc)
    Your? Whatta good post. Had aughtah go down as a classic, you're post is great! It really opened up my thinking on this 29th page; it depends who your fighting and how you execute! Who would have thought of that!?!?!?
    '