Posted On:
    1/25/2007 5:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Divine Fist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, try this.

1. stretch out to avoid muscle strain.

2. do a front kick, straight up with full power.

3. when your shin makes contact with your nose, ask yourself the following question: did that hurt?

4. in your journal, record the answer to said queston.

5. log on to bullshido.com and post your results.

if during this exercise, some really good grappler shows up and takes you down, or your answer is "no" to the question, don't use high kicks. If the answer is "yes", and you don't get taken down, feel free to kick people in the head at your leisure.
    Last edited by kari0n; 1/25/2007 2:20pm at .

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 5:17am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take cover.......

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 2:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Divine Fist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and yes, that exercise makes about as much, if not more sense than the ridiculous flame war going on in this thread. EVERYONE on both sides of the argument is making the SAME fucking point: high kicks are good for some fighters in some situations, and bad for other fighters in other situations. same as every other martial arts move in existence. Even a flying spinning backfist could be put to use in the right situation.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 9:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    n00b B' Que ?

Anyone?

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 9:54pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rashad Evans vs Salmon has just finished....I thought that might be worth mentioning at this moment in time

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 9:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** Aye, wow! What a KO! Looked like ol' Andy Hug with that high round house. Hope Salmon isn't too fucked up.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 5:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WTF tae kwon do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    high kicks is really useful in fight.take axe kick for example.this kick can break skull in half(not exactly,but you get the point)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 11:55am

Style: BJJ, Debate-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sanosuke4869
    high kicks is really useful in fight.take axe kick for example.this kick can break skull in half(not exactly,but you get the point)
    I'm going to post in response here, in the hopes that it will reduce the beating you are about to receive from others.

The axe kick, used against a standing opponent with even a basic understanding of wrestling and takedowns, will result in a quick trip to the ground for the kicker. If he's lucky, his pelvis will remain intact.

I know this because George(s?) St. Pierre throws an excellent axe kick, but to my knowledge has never used it against a standing opponent. He has primarily used it against opponents who are on the ground already, since it generates a huge amount of downward force. If anyone could use the axe kick effectively from a standing position, it would be him, and I've got to believe he would love to be able to pull it off: but it just doesn't work.

Further evidence comes from the almost total absence of the axe kick from top-level competitive TKD and full-contact karate. It's not as rare as it is in MMA, but it's still pretty damned rare. I'm sure there are a few cool KO vids of the axe kick being used, but that doesn't change that it's an absurdly low-percentage play even before you introduce grappling into the equation.

High kicks are useful. I think Crocop's success, and ironically his latest loss, demonstrate that. But when we say "high kicks" we mean almost exclusively "high turning kicks / roundhouses." That's because empirically those kicks are what work.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 5:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jackofallmasterofnone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Torch
    Every almost every real martial artist I know tells me high kicks are completely useless in a fight. But is it true? Mirko Filipovic and Peter Aerts have both been able to use them in fights extremely effectively, but would they work in a real fight?
    I was outside of Taco Bell at 3:00 in the morning in Chico, CA. where I studied about 15 years ago. They had a walk-up window that stayed open really late. It was a great place to watch fights on weekends. An acquaintance of mine (and a right prick at that) started a fight with a scrawny Asian guy. The guy didn't want to fight. But this guy persisted. Next thing I know, the Asian guy gives him a freaking roundhouse to the nose. Said acquaintance is down for the count with a broken nose LOL. In all my times in bars, or on the street, that is the single and only time I have seen it work. I wouldn't recommend it in a fight though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 10:55pm

Style: Proudly Shaolin Do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually if you practice high kicks, they will be good, but remember: no matter how hard you can kick up high you kick will always be strongest hip-level.
    I myself train kicks as high as high as I can because I've always wanted that one kick KO, but thats just how I train.

that really all I have to offer.