Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2007 3:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally like high kicks. I just never use them as a first strike, I always use them as follow ups to something else.... using it as a first attack is asking for punishment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2007 3:56pm

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hands down + high kick = t3h d34dly...

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 11:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like to start with a jump spin kick...something that will really intimidate my opponent and make him admire my athleticism before he slams me to the mat.
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2007 11:21pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do(GTF now)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

high kicks(?)

well,it is depend on situations. if your opponent is 2m tall(like 6'6'') and your height is,maybe 5'11'(like me) it is better to use high kicks especially from ground like side kick or back-thrust kick.by the way, it is depend on the situations

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 12:21am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since after reading 6 pages and still no straight answer for you, I'll be kind.

High kicks work in th3 str33ts if:

1) You have the power, distancing and timing skills of Mirko Cro Cop. Just because he can pull it off doesn't mean you can too.

2) You understand when you can throw them so that you can pull it off.

3) The pants you're wearing allows you to do said kick.

4) Your shoes and the ground you're standing on allows you to pivot to do said kick.

5) You can regularly do high kicks and connect them during sparring in class, and can do them with enough power to KO your opponent in tournaments.

Unless I could do all the above, I wouldn't even try it.

Look at Cro Cop's fight videos. He typically throws them well into the fight, when the opponent is tired. He always does it when it's least expected.

On the other hand, I saw my coach KO his opponent at 15 sec in the first round with a high kick, after he noticed that his opponent had a habit of dropping his hands after receiving a low kick. Bam....he went to sleep.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 6:28am

Style: CQC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be honest in anything other than a competition fight you are likely to do more damage to yourself through a muscle strain than to your opponent because you wont be warmed up. Literally stopping such a kick in a fight where grappling is allowed is just to walk strait forward. It is very easy to knock someone down. Personally I agree with the idea that if the kick is above the waist you don't use it. Admittedly it doesn't top Cro Cop but then he only tends to use them when his opponent is done anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 9:35am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ/Boxing/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    High Kicks are one of the greatest techniques to end a fight with, just look at Mirko Filipovic, not to mention they look bad ass as well.

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 10:10am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount
    To be honest in anything other than a competition fight you are likely to do more damage to yourself through a muscle strain than to your opponent because you wont be warmed up.
    Not true. Go read Thomas Kurtz's book. You don't need to warm up to do high kicks if you have good dynamic flexibility. Doing splits is not dynamic flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount
    Literally stopping such a kick in a fight where grappling is allowed is just to walk strait forward. It is very easy to knock someone down.
    And do you expect the kicker to be stupid enough to tell you before hand that he's going to do a high kick so that you can just walk straight forwards? Do you realize how fast a good kicker can throw that high kick, even if he's not going to set it up?

C'mon guys, how long have you trained? Nobody throws high kicks off the bat. Let me give you a clue. Most people setup their high kicks, and then only when they notice that you have particular bad habits of dropping your hands after you take hits to certain places, or while doing techniques like low kicks.

One example is by throwing a low kick, then a very quick second kick that aims for the head. Most untrained people are going to grab their hurt leg, which leaves their face wide open. Trained fighters also tend to drop their hands after they check the low kick.

Another is kicker goes in and throws a punch combo, prefably ending with a shovel hook or cross to body, opponent gets hit and lowers his hands moving backwards, kicker steps in and throws the head kick.

Then there's the brazilian kick, which looks like a middle level kick but aims for the neck.

Some crazy people can throw head level kicks at punching range, they just have that kind of flexibility, and their kicks pack power, I know because I took one, and the guy is shorter than me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 3:13pm

Style: CQC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are quite fast there is no problem with using high kicks but personally I wouldn't purely because its risky compared to just low kicks and hand strikes.

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 5:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    I think the most realistic application of high kicks is so pussies can flush the urinal without having to touch the handle.
    Thread winner for sure!
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111718192021 22232425 ... LastLast