Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 9:50pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeh the mechanics of kicking high and kicking low are pretty differant, at least for MT.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 11:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it all comes down to the individual.

If your someone who is flexible and can kick head high without warming up, then I suppose head kicks work.

For the rest of us, head kicks are a high risk option. So personally, I would try something else like the good ol' clinch and takedown.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 11:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Ronin who? I don't think Ronin is dead, Pat.
    Gad, I hope you are correct
    What vids?
    Way back two pages ago in this thread (just check out the Masaki Sataki if you don't have the time (or dial up).
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZwp6_s65LM&NR - the end of the vids...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FOLW...elated&search=

The first is a set up based on combos and getting the guy to drop his defense. The second is a real fast sneaky kick, looks like he's pretty close to the guy and just flips a roundhouse in quickly to end it.

And here's a blurry look at some Andy Hug fights. Hug was a Kyokushin master and K1 champ. Note the spinning back fist at 22 seconds in.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHoTq...elated&search=

And here's a very short fight of Andy and Masaki Sataki:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiU5L...elated&search=
    Ya know I hear this line of thinking a lot, but I don't think it quite works like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Yeh the mechanics of kicking high and kicking low are pretty differant, at least for MT.
    True that the body mechanics and movements for the (somewhat) stepping across center line downward body behind it shin to the thigh mt roundhouse and a roundhouse to the head are rather different. What the kajukenbo people mean is more that when you practice you extend your range as much as you can and then strikes within that range come easier.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 12:37am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anybody said "of course high kicks are useful - a single high kick can incapacitate someone completely" yet?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 9:29am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No.

I prefer being sarcastic when dealing with stupid questions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 3:28pm

Style: Hapkido/Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i know a TKD blackbelt who got into a fight and tried to throw a high kick, the leg was grabbed and the other guy just made of him, so then he tried to kick with the other leg and ended up falling over.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 3:48pm

Style: Tai Chi,BJJ,knife-dueling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

avoiding high kicks != antigrappling

Quote Originally Posted by DojangRat
    i know a TKD blackbelt who got into a fight and tried to throw a high kick, the leg was grabbed and the other guy just made of him, so then he tried to kick with the other leg and ended up falling over.
    You bring up many interesting points here:

~Those high kicks in the video posted towards the beginning of this thread were not primariy TKD kicks. I did do a little TKD, and I've never KOed someone with a TKD type kick. Kickboxing kicks are a whole different story. Just because it is a "high kick" doesn't mean it has KO power behind it... in fact mostly it's a very specific type of high kick that usually has enough power to KO somone (a kick boxing round kick to the jaw, or maybe comming over the shoulder into the neck.) Check out the video an notice about 80% of those kicks are the same type of kick - and that they are not your typical TKD "round house" snappy-slappy kicks.

~If someone knows how to grapple, keeping your kicks low will not keep you on your feet. Your TKD friend was proabably on his way to the ground even without his TKD kicks. When I was kickboxing I could sprawl fairly well, and the most I've been able to stay on my feet with a grappler (state level competetor in high school wrestling who had never encountered a kickboxer before) comming after me was about 2 minutes. Some TKD guy (or other martial artist) who doesn't do any clinch training at all is headed for the ground at the beginning of a fight if a grappler wants to take it there, even if all he uses are punches. I am sure this fun fact has been covered numerous other places in bullshido: anti-grappling strategies are far from fool proof, and "avoiding high kicks" hardly counts as a comprehensive antigrappling strategy anyhow.
    Last edited by BFGalbraith; 10/22/2006 3:54pm at .

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 5:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shito ryu, Hakko Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    High kicks have been scoring KOs for a long time already.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 5:47pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DojangRat
    I know a TKD guy who got in a fight and kicked the guy once in the head and ended the fight.

This is what we call the fallacy of testimonial evidence. We're now both right.

High kicks are hard to land, but effective when they hit. If you reject them out of hand, you're rejecting a tool. Likewise, if you count on them when you shouldn't and discount how hard they are to hit with, you can be in some trouble.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 5:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if u aint got no talent an skill......u shouldnt risk doin a high kick any damn way. especially in a street fight