Actual Photo

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Torch
    Thats... kind of sick. I honestly don't care who's nuts my Grandmother sucks on, but dude, are you honestly so desperate you have to get laid by an 80 year old obese women with diabetes and Alzheimers?
    That was funny , and Welcome to Bullshido , and no I will not talk about Hapkido . Search
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    ďI don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.Ē
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 7:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildog
    Obviously, you did not give hwardo a chance, I have been studying with Master Kwon for 2 years and am extremely happy with what I have learned and the quality of the instruction.
    Hello Devildog and welcome to Bullshido. Just so you know, you necromanced an old thread. Also, you did like many users who's style is being bashed. You created a thread saying such and such didn't give this great martial art of yours a chance and didn't counter any of the claims made against said martial art. You have the opportunity to probably (probably!) be the first to actually counter point the claims of bullshido against your martial arts in a good natured, non-defensive way...minus the hyper-LARPing.
    Last edited by datdamnmachine; 1/17/2007 7:04pm at .

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 10:27pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    Hello Devildog and welcome to Bullshido. Just so you know, you necromanced an old thread. Also, you did like many users who's style is being bashed. You created a thread saying such and such didn't give this great martial art of yours a chance and didn't counter any of the claims made against said martial art. You have the opportunity to probably (probably!) be the first to actually counter point the claims of bullshido against your martial arts in a good natured, non-defensive way...minus the hyper-LARPing.
    Dat is correct, here is a perfect opportunity for you, as a student of Hwardo, to provide evidence that counter the intial claims made on this forum.

For starters evidence in the form of news articles or Video showing that HY Kwon participated in and won a "King of the World" tournament in Korea. Pics of him standing around with a bunch of other Koreans don't count as proof. Neither will action shots in this case because for all we know they could just be photos of a demo. A news article would be nice, even if it's in Korean, I can get it translated easily, a vid would be best.

Also video of sparring sessions at your school would do wonders to support your position that Hwardo is a good system.

Coming on here and making a statement like "Obviously you didn't give Hwardo a chance" is, frankly, something I would expect a Ninjitsu student to say.

On a side note, everytime I see Hwar do, I think Whore Do. Am I only the one?
    I can see it now, "Whore do! Learn and master the ancient secrets of self defense developed and trained by prostitutes all over Asia, Whore Do! Order now, only 79.95!"

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 5:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: hwardo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

research is good

There are numerous newspaper articles (in Korean) that describe the King of the World tournament, as well as his eldest sons' victory in the same tournament 1 year later for the masters' division (below 8th dan).

I don't really know how showing videos of students' sparring (at least at the lower belts) is going to prove anything, as the sparring, while full speed, full contact, is done in a manner where the instructors can evaluate technique and give corrections. I can't speak for the red belt and higher sparring, as I haven't seen any (yet).

The websites for Hwardo are all down as they are being completely reworked (for painfully obvious reasons). The original site authors' understanding of English and web presentation was somewhere between bad and abysmal. I'll talk to my Master, Master Kwon (the GrandMasters' youngest son) and see about getting some recent videos done as well as newspaper articles - most of the articles are from the late 80s and early 90's, from Korea, and I wouldn't really know where or how to search an online archive for that sort of stuff, and have them included when the new site goes up.

I will say that prior to starting in Hwardo myself, I extensively researched the GrandMasters' background, and all of his major belts and dans are from reputable sources that have documented, published standards which register their members (Kidohae and WTF are both prime examples. GM Kwon was also the head coach of the Korean National Pro TKD team in the early 80's - that was his last job before coming to the States and opening his school).

Students have also according to police records, successfully defended themselves from armed (knife) attackers (Baltimore, MD., about 15 years ago).

While I'm no MA expert, I would think that given the GM's verifiable credentials, the jury would be out pending additional documentation of Hwardo in action. That stuff does exist, it's just not out on the web yet (which I will continue to ask about).

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 5:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Call to all martial artists

I feel I have to share this. I was reading a TKD magazine that just came out and saw an ad for a martial art called Hwar Do and a man named Grandmaster Kwon. I did a little online research and found his website. In 1998 I became certified as a master of Hap Ki Do. I have never seen anything like this. There are videos of the Grandmaster demonstrating. Iíve gotten a whole new perspective on martial arts just from watching these videos. This man doesnít exactly look young and heís still going strong (the videos are dated). He is a true grandmaster. My experience was that there are opposing attributes in the development of martial artistsópeople are powerful, or fast, or flexible, or have excellent technical skills, but you usually donít find them all together. Grandmaster Kwon has it all. I used to think I was old. I used to think my skill had to deteriorate after a certain age. I was wrong. I see now that Iíve simply been lazy. I have a renewed commitment to training. No more will I rest on my laurels or play golf in my free time. It is time for more training. Watch these videos and youíll see a man who clearly has devoted his life to his training. And thatís the point of this post. Iím going to post this on every martial arts forum I can find. This is a call to all martial artists. We must reaffirm our purpose in training. I have clearly seen that age doesnít matter; I have clearly seen the benefits of long-term disciplined training. I feel a little like an evangelist saying this, but we need to spread the word. Together we can raise ourselves and raise our martial arts. Good luck; may you find happiness and purpose and growth.

Master McKee
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 10/11/2007 5:55pm at . Reason: Got rid of horrible text color choice because I'm not feeling blue today.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 5:53pm

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the list of high ranking belts pretty much says it all.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 5:57pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didnt think you could get a nth degree blackbelt in kung fu..., there being a lack of belts and all. Or kickboxing for that matter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2007 9:49am

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Less stalling more poasting plz.

Why sparring is important:

If the students are doing stop and go point sparring, they're not learning how to fight. Period. The end. Thus any claims about self-defense (usually made by teaching students to fight) are debunked as phoney or inappropriate.

Why Degree Certification is important:

There is no reason to try to make a buck off of "Buyer Beware!" mentality. It's a crude method and is used generally to sucker people in, thus it is seen as another hallmark of lack of proof. That and where the flying **** did he get a black belt in kung fu. I mean really. Did you even RESEARCH before you wrote up your certificate?

Furthermore, stop making new accounts and backing up your styles unless you want to prove something. By proof we mean Vids, plz.

edit: I PUT IN A QUESTIONMARK RATHER THAN A PERIOD!!!!
    :XXfridge:
    Last edited by cyril; 10/12/2007 9:51am at .

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    10/12/2007 1:40pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's great that every few months some new asshat shows up supporting Whore Do but not one of them can ever provide proof to back up the claims. One idiot even stated that there are news articles in Korean and even though I asked for links to them or proof of these articles so that they can be verified, no articles have yet to be seen.

Posted On:
    10/12/2007 1:58pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, someone with a red name: couldn't the posts of akherat and HKDsabum be considered spam? Those posts are just really poorly disguised advertising for pretty blatant bullshit. (You know, just in case you couldn't tell.)

Sometimes I really hate the fact that I'm korean.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast