Posted On:
    7/21/2006 8:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Roberto Traven BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Torch
    Wow. Thats alot of BBJ.
    But can anyone also tell me if Hapkido is any good?
    USE the SEARCH function: Hapkido

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 8:38pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Crabxcore]And no, wrestling is far from worthless. Wrestling will teach you takedowns, takedown defense, positioning, give you lots of opportunities for live training and probably get you into awesome shape while you're at it. So if you want to be a sprawler and brawler, or a grounder and pounder, seriously consider wrestling.

Absolutely true. Wrestling is an excellent skill to have, I wish I had known that when I was in H.S. and took advantage of the opportunity.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 8:42pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Torch
    Wow. Thats alot of BBJ.
    But can anyone also tell me if Hapkido is any good?
    The quality of the Hapkido depends on the instructor. Most likely it will suck ass. I would say only about 5% of Hapkido schools are worth your time and money. About the same percentage as Tae Kwon Do, but higher than _ing _un.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 8:49pm

Style: Hapkido/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i would like to see emerald torch's mom's reaction to him suggesting she drive him to va beach a couple times a week.

there's lots of stuff up here in nova, though. good bjj places, for instance. which, for a high school student, is secondary to being on the damn wrestling team, setting up a foundation for future training.

are you actually in/around the city of fairfax, or somewhere in fairfax county?
    I'm right in on the city line between Fairfax and Chantilly, residing in Fairfax. Do you know if a place called Oriental Sports Academy is any good?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 9:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the site of the school I want to go to, just to check if this is another waste of money:
    http://www.orientalsportsacademy.com/

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 9:48pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't bother

Quote Originally Posted by oriental sports academy
    History of Taekwondo

Tae Kwon Do is a two thousand year old martial art form that originated in Korea. It is based on the premise that every person has the instinct to defend him or herself against a sudden attack. As a result of this basic instinct, the origins of Tae Kwon Do date back to the earliest days of humanity on earth. Evidence of Tae Kwon Do's past can be found in oral history and artifacts from Korea's three early kingdoms. These three kingdoms were called Kokooryo, Baekjae and Silla.
    Oriental Sports Academy offers the most traditional Martial Arts Program in the Northern Virginia Area.
    Originally a grappling and throwing art, [hapkido] now includes a variety of strikes and kicks. Hapkido was introduced in the United States in the 1960s. The style became popular after the motion picture Billy Jack featured Hapkido in its fight scenes, realistically choreographed by Bong Soo Han, and it has grown in popularity since. In the 1970's and 80's Hapkido was taught as the style of choice to elite South Korean armed forces units.
    First, TKD is not 2000 years old. Second, being the most traditional school in the area says nothing good about your ability to produce fighters- that is to say people who can defend themselves. Third, Billy Jack and commandos, good grief.
    Last edited by Stick; 7/21/2006 9:50pm at .

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 9:53pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that site makes korean baby jesus cry. there's a CHANCE the webmaster is misrepresenting them as a bunch bullshit spewing frauds... but they did hire the guy.

the photo page does not help things. i see what appears to be two men crappling while wearing fishnet patterned uniforms.

emerald torch, can you articulate what exactly you want to get from training? you appear to be located directly between both of the places i train, but i can't necessarily recommend either unless i know what you're looking for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 10:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    that site makes korean baby jesus cry. there's a CHANCE the webmaster is misrepresenting them as a bunch bullshit spewing frauds... but they did hire the guy.

the photo page does not help things. i see what appears to be two men crappling while wearing fishnet patterned uniforms.

emerald torch, can you articulate what exactly you want to get from training? you appear to be located directly between both of the places i train, but i can't necessarily recommend either unless i know what you're looking for.
    Well, I really just want to learn how to fight, but not be restricted to just striking or just grappling.
    BTW, I attended one class of Hwardo, and it was like an episode of Teletubbies. They treated me like I was 5, and all the stuff they "taught" me was stuff I already knew. I also went to the Oriental Sports Academy once, and it was HARD. There was alot of sparring in the class, and those guys didn't hold back. At the end, I felt exhausted. Is OSA still bullshit?

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 10:13pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if it's a tough workout and they spar hard, then it may be fine. you've been there, we haven't. if you like it, and the schedule/location/pricing work for you, go for it.

but that website is godawful.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast