233147 Bullies, 3443 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 1:28pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Java Hutt: The Mobile Lounge

207 S Old Woodward Ave, Birmingham, MI 48009

It used to be 24-hours, but now it's only open until 2 Sunday through Wednesday, and is 24-hour Thursday-Sunday morning. It's right next to the theater on Old Woodward, across from Merrill Street (the street that the Townsend is on, where both GWB, Brittney Spears, and G-Unit stay when they come to Michigan).

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 4:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Snake and Crane Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow you guys brought up crazy memories of the past. Im from Detroit, but moved after my daughter passed away. I owned a house on 6 mile' and Gratiet off Hamburg. Shortly before I moved I lived near 6 mile and Woodward for about a year prior.

I have met Chris a few times, and figured i would share my opinion. Im a WCKer. I have 20 years in the system, and think most WCK sucks. I practise a mainland branch, that includes Locking and Breaking ,Takedowns ect. Its deals with all ranges. So Im very critical of WCK, and JKD. And I think most WCK diserves the slam their getting, as its their fault.

IMO, Jack of all trades master of none, isnt something I respect. That tends to be the American way. I believe in dedication and mastery, as well as real time experiance, to develop ones art. I also dont believe in mistaking sports as real combat, as I have been in 11 fights, and they never turn out like sport fighting.

Young Sifu Chris knows ALOT of differant MA - but how good is he at them? Im aware that he knows JKD, Muay Tai Kali, Escrima, Savate, Fencing, Wing Chun, Golden gloves boxing and Penjak Silat. I have witnessed him and his main training partner, practise all of these arts.

At the times I visisted, BJJ wasnt mainstream available, and wasnt something he offered. I wasnt impressed with his WCK at all, as it was simply JKD, with no apparent "Bread and Butter" - my self for example, as My core is WCK, but I cross train against grapplers, submission guys ect. Everyone needs a core, not just piling bits and pieces on top of one another.

I also studied Thai Boxing Pre UFC from one of the first americans to train in Thailand, and I didnt find Chris's Thai Boxing to be anything more than a JKD with Golden Gloves boxing mixed in.

I think he is knowledable but in a limited way. I actualy see he lacks alot of real time experiance, and has no foundation, as he has "Spread himself to thin" being a collector.

I wouldnt suggest anyone wanting WCK training to go to him. I would suggest those wanting JKD, to check him out. He seems like a nice guy, but he also has a bit of false humblness going on, perhaps trying to give off some mystique or somethign. I would think others may be better suited to teach BJJ than he, as how good can he be with practising 10 differant arts?

B

Posted On:
    9/06/2007 11:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is an interesting thread. Just seems to keep rearing it's head ;)

I figure since we've heard from someone who's seen Chris a "few times" I would throw my two cents in, since I've been Chris' student and friend for almost ten years. In fact like the hair club for men, I'm not only a student but I believe so much in what he's doing I became his business partner. Am I biased, sure, but who isn't biased one way or the other. I'm just adding a different perspective, take it or leave it, it doesn't really matter.

I'm the first to admit that Martial Arts Unlimited probably doesn't do a good enough job of getting our message out. In fact I only heard of this website last week ;) We are growing and learning, making mistakes but always trying to move forward in a positive manner. I don't want people to think we are putting out some false "mystique". Our doors are open to anyone who wants to train, we are very JKD in one respect, take what is useful. Hopefully there is something here for everyone, we teach men, women, and children of all ages in a safe, clean and friendly environment. Also, hopefully, it's fun otherwise why do it, everyone wants to advertise the "reality" of how they train but at the end we do these things because we have fun doing them.

This whole jack of all trades discussion comes from people who don't know what effort Chris puts into his practice. What amount of time does an average martial artist put into their practice 3, 4, 5 hours a week? For one martial art. Anyone who has attended a class with Chris knows that he participates in every class he teaches working harder than any of the students in the class. So with group classes that is 6 hours of kickboxing, 4 hours of grappling, etc. now add the hours of private lessons for students, instructor training classes, training with his core group of friends and his private workouts, per week. I, for one, respect this jack of all trades, if not for his level of knowledge and teaching, if not for the certifications and accomplishments, then at least for the effort he puts into his training and into his students.

Chris' certifications speak for his hard work, Brown Belt (hopefully Black soon ;O) in BJJ under Marcello Monteiro, Coach level under Erik Paulson, Black Sash under Sifu Francis Fong, Silver Glove under Professor Salem Assli, Instructor certification under David Hatch, Dan Inosanto, Bill McGrath, Ajarn Chai, Rick Faye. In fact Ajarn Chai has awarded Chris for his muay thai form and teaching ability in just the past year. These are our Teachers, we respect them and what they offer and they respect Chris' ability and work ethic.

So enough soap box ;)

Have fun and come in and give us a try. Hopefully I'll see you in training soon.

Regards,

Joe Aleman
    Martial Arts Unlimited

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    9/07/2007 2:34am

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggresive
    IMO, Jack of all trades master of none, isnt something I respect. That tends to be the American way. I believe in dedication and mastery, as well as real time experiance, to develop ones art.
    That's a criticism of JKD itself, not of MAU or Chris Malgeri.

I would think others may be better suited to teach BJJ than he, as how good can he be with practising 10 differant arts?

I actualy see he lacks alot of real time experiance
    How many MMA bouts does your teacher have? Oh wait, that's not th3 5tr33t. Do you mean he needs to go pick random fights at some bars/metal shows? I definately did not get the feeling that Malgeri was a "fighter", and maybe he has more book smarts than scars. *shrug*

and has no foundation, as he has "Spread himself to thin" being a collector.
    Again, that's the problem with JKD. And you are not NOT going to find that at a JKD place. You can't really go to a boxing coach and say "I could totally take him to the mat and RNC him", and you can't really go to a JKD place and wish they were grounded in one discipline. I do think it would help the students to focus themselves, however, and if you read my review I bring that up as an issue for some of them.

but he also has a bit of false humblness going on, perhaps trying to give off some mystique or somethign.
    I didn't get this sense at all on my visit. He seemed like a pretty quiet guy, actually, and seemed to want to explain things a bit more than I find necessary. Maybe that's why he hasn't gotten in many "r331 w0r1d" bar fights. *shrug* Mystical, however, I just didn't see. I mean, the guy was involved with the class, and right with students pointing things out directly. It's not like he was staring off into space going "One day, Grasshopper".

Again, especially for you students there, add your thoughts about the school to the review I already posted. <----- Click Link.
    Last edited by Dagon Akujin; 9/07/2007 2:37am at .

Posted On:
    9/07/2007 6:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Snake and Crane Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dagon

Good comments and strong points.

Joe

Please dont take offence to any of my comments. I actually remember you, from my visits, and Chris told me that you two had been training together the entire time both of you were into MA, so im sure you very well suited to comment on him.

To be fair to Chris, I havnt seen him in years, hence he has alot more experiance, than he had. When I was hanging out there, his school had just been opened a few months prior. So in all fairness, im sure he has grown. And I havnt even lived in Detroit, for ruffly 8 years.

My perception of the mystique thing, may have been him being uncomfortable or quiet or reserved, as he was new to teaching, and perhaps, he wasnt.."feeling his stride". WHo knows.
    But I have encounted other public MA schools, that I felt the same thing from, which is what I based my opinion on. Its possible im not ~wording~ things properly, to convey what I feel inside.

I cant vouch for chris as a person, as i never got to know him on that level, as that wasnt why I would be visiting the school (Which i did do 6 or 7 times), spending 4 hours at a time.

Some random comments.

I cant vouch for how much time anyone puts in as a MA, but I can say I have practised WCK for 20 years. I activly train 4-6 hours a day, and have done so for my entire 20 years in the system. I also run a Web site dedicated to WCK. Its the first online Encyclopedia dedicated exclusivly to the WCK system. My partner and I also own and run WCarchives, WCfightclub, and Everything WC. Which my partner activly trains for NHB, down in New Mexico.

I have ruffly 14 years experiance in H.K WCK, and cross trained in 10 differant branchs, with only 2 methods at my core, that I always stuck to, consolidating the info, as it is very spread out in teh H.K system. I briefly studied Pan Nam WCK, and have now practised Mainland Yuen Kay Shan WCK for 7 years, and wont practise any other system.

I am very critical of WCK, and have extremly high standards. So, everyone who is reading this needs to take into account that what i may find as being Substandard WCK (which to me most is and simply LARPers), others may think its great. So take my opinion on things with my perspective in mind; And I dont want to paint a negative pic of Chris, just my experiance.

While I wasnt impressed with his Muay Thai and WCK, I was extremlly impressed with his Stick and Knife fighting , which he seemed, at least to me, to have a high level skill. His Savate was really good, and he had fairly strong standup submission skills, due to pencat silat training. I also appreciate someone that can communicate, verbaly, while they teach. Which Chris seems good at. Some may not like this. To each their own.

As to fighting? Man, most people are bollocks. The new fad is to mistake Sports fighting for true combat. I have never been in a sports fight, but I have been in 11 street fights, 3 of which since moving to Ohio. Its my personal opinion that training for sports, isnt true combat, but is the closest, most will get, and will have to do for most people.

I dont advocate fighting, yet, the only way to get real combat experiance is through fighting, not sparing. I think one has to train for real combat, the best you can, as the saying goes, " If you want to sit on the bench, you better know how to play." - If two partners agree, than you can train very very realisticaly.

I had a JKD workout partner who was really good at Sambo, and we truly beat the crap out of each other - very brutaly. As in we were frequently injured, and continued to fight, as that is what reality is. This made a huge differance to ability to apply WCK in combat.

Meeting a student of Wong Shun Leung, and being beaten on, also, raised my bar, on applications and understanding how WCK relates to true combat.

My first fight also helped make me, into who I am. It was very frustrating, and ended with neither myself, nor the nasty street boxer, landing even one strike!!?! We both threw perhaps 50 differant punchs at differant times during the fight, but for somereason, we were both able to evade each other, and I wasnt applying simultaneous "intercepting my opponents strike, while striking him". That opened my mind BIG TIME.
    But most have never even been in one fight. Most high level masters have never been in a fight. I have some apprehensions about learning from someone, teaching a fighting art, that hasnt fought.

To me thats like a swimming instructor that has never been in the water!!!!?!?!?!?

With each Fight i have gained more confidence, and each following fight, i have maintained a more..WCK apperance than the last. But it has been a gradual growth.

The psychology is differant to Sports fighting vs. true combat, as are the tools needed and used, IMO. So in my opinion, one has to keep ones goals in mind, and than set your training up to achieve that goal. Are we training for sports? Do we need that type cardio? and do we have to work within a context? Time limits? or are we training for the streets? Do we need an expanded arsonal to deal with more wide ranging issues? What is your bread and butter? Stand Up? Ground? If you standup, do you need heavy ground work? Or do you need incredible take down defence? All this is up to the individual to decied for themselves.

B
    Last edited by Baggresive; 9/07/2007 6:37pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12