Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 12:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WOW

My goodness what an ego. I have never seen such a rambling discourse on someone's personal history. I find it real impressive that most of his rankings come from people who either self promoted themselves or were awarded lofty titles by Soke councils-we know how legit they are. I must be slow. I was a shodan while he was still a green belt and now he's 10th dan and I'm only a 4th. Of course, I actually trained in and tested in my art-and not by video. My instructors also did not have grade inflation issues.:tongue5: Perhaps he's just a very, very, very gifted individual. I mean video testing from 4th kyu to 1st kyu and then a few months later to shodan-it must have been one helluva video test.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aikidoc1
    My goodness what an ego. I have never seen such a rambling discourse on someone's personal history. I find it real impressive that most of his rankings come from people who either self promoted themselves or were awarded lofty titles by Soke councils-we know how legit they are. I must be slow. I was a shodan while he was still a green belt and now he's 10th dan and I'm only a 4th. Of course, I actually trained in and tested in my art-and not by video. My instructors also did not have grade inflation issues.:tongue5: Perhaps he's just a very, very, very gifted individual. I mean video testing from 4th kyu to 1st kyu and then a few months later to shodan-it must have been one helluva video test.
    LoL at video testing. That's like a lawyer showing a video of himself passing a practice bar example and sending it in as his actual bar examination. Do you want to chime in on that one Sam B?

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 5:59pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes the full bar exam I took in Connecticut was six hours a day for two days. 200 multiple guess questions and 12 half an hour essays. I still shutter at the memories.

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 6:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The nice thing about a video test is you can make it almost perfect. If you screw it up, just refilm it. With todays video and DVD editing you can even add sound and music. HMM. I like the theme from Rocky for this guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 6:28pm

Style: TaeKwonDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think video testing is an option if it is your student already and just too far away to make it to the testing, or it would be a financial hardship on them. But even if you have a person testing in front of a board, if they have not been involved in that persons training, then it is just looking at technique and very little at the character of the person you are promoting.

The truth I have seen over the years, is that there is just no way to control rank of any sort. Even the best meaning organizations, mess up and hand out degrees to people that don't deserve it for whatever reason. When I test a student, the only authority to back their rank up is my personal knowledge of the person and their skill.

Martial arts are like religions. Who is going to say this church doesn't have a right to "do it their way", or this minister doesn't know what he is talking about. People follow ministers or martial arts instructors through faith. As long as an instructor doesn't let his students down in their eyes - they could care less what other instructors think of him.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 6:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    Yes the full bar exam I took in Connecticut was six hours a day for two days. 200 multiple guess questions and 12 half an hour essays. I still shutter at the memories.
    Ouch...daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! Don't you wish you would've video tested instead...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by markkarasek
    I think video testing is an option if it is your student already and just too far away to make it to the testing, or it would be a financial hardship on them. But even if you have a person testing in front of a board, if they have not been involved in that persons training, then it is just looking at technique and very little at the character of the person you are promoting.
    I guess it would depend a lot on the martial arts involved. Most of the effective combat martial arts are almost impossible to video test simply because a video won't give you an accurate representation of their skill set. Now if their skillset involves forms and patterns and no actual physical contact or combat, well, I guess that would be different.

The truth I have seen over the years, is that there is just no way to control rank of any sort. Even the best meaning organizations, mess up and hand out degrees to people that don't deserve it for whatever reason. When I test a student, the only authority to back their rank up is my personal knowledge of the person and their skill.
    BJJ and Judo seem to do a good job of it. I'm sure other's as well. It's the good thing about tournaments or even training with the people in your school. It's isn't about how good you are, it's about how good you are in relation to others. It's like money. Oprah is a billionaire and extreemly rich compared to us average folk. Compared to Bill Gates, she is simply well off.

Martial arts are like religions. Who is going to say this church doesn't have a right to "do it their way", or this minister doesn't know what he is talking about. People follow ministers or martial arts instructors through faith. As long as an instructor doesn't let his students down in their eyes - they could care less what other instructors think of him.
    I doubt that. Only those martial arts that are cults or "cult like" could be considered like religions. I don't follow my instructor or my martial art through faith. I follow it because of it's effectiveness and nothing else. Yes I have fun, yes I enjoy the instruction, instructor(s), and the other students but it's effectiveness first. If it wasn't effective, I wouldn't be there.

Also, as far as religions go. No one has been able to come up with a scientific way to prove which religion is the "correct" one (sorry if anyone is offended by this but whatever). Someone actually did come up with a scientific way to prove which martial arts were effective...a guy named Rorion Gracie (at least in the States where that information was sorely lacking at the time).
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819