Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 10:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cyrijl,
    You could very well be right. I was looking long term for the complete fighting idea. However, if he wants something basic quickly, BJJ first might not be the best idea.

----------------------------

http://www.zanshin-dojo.de

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 10:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i love doing bjj, but they do not focus on striking which is the relaistic option for trying to defend one's self and family. People tend to bash KM, but at my school we just learn to fight and get away. I'd hate to be rolling trying to get someone and have my family out of my line of sight. Standing, it is easier to get one's family/friends behind them. Even for overall fighting BJJ might not be that great, from what i've seen many school don't really get into striking.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    i can do anuything as long as i am surrounded by twenty friends and the berimbau is playing my song
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 12:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cyrjil: I do BJJ too, and I'm not saying that their takedowns are nonexistant, i'm saying that in general they are a lot less developed than other arts. The BJJ guys I've come across who actually are takedown artists got those takedowns from Judo or wrestling.

Also cyrjil apart from my favorite arts to hate (TKD and Kenpo) i don't say anything against arts just try and put them into perspective. all arts have weaknesses and strengths. In BJJ there is a distinct lack of takedown skills. If where you train has them that's great. But I guaran-fucking-tee you that your instructor or his instructor incorporated them from judo or wrestling.
    and even IF your school does have good takedowns, do not even pretend that you guys are as good at it as judoka and wrestlers. That's like the Bujinkan guys doing a lot of knife drills and saying that they are just as good as Kali at knifefighting (hypothetically. don't know if they actually say that or not).

and lastly, I think BJJ is great, I practice it and I love it. but everyone saying BJJ is the ultimate starting art is just silly. As I've said before, Judo is a lot more prevelant than BJJ and it is MUCH MUCH cheaper. For a lot of people those are very real considerations.
    Thomas: I thinkg you need to learn how to read, he said he was thinking of those arts and wanted some opinions. In fact he point blank said he wanted suggestions. And if anyone tries to tell me that they don't have access to boxing then they are a fucking moron or they live alone in the appalachians.

---------
    Shut up and train

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 12:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK. That does it. You're stupid.

Fighting Spirit is 90% of the battle. If you don't have it, you ain't **** -- regardless of what style you practice.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 12:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't think BJJ is an ultimate anything for self-defense (remember the point of the question). That is why i think punching, kicking, some techniques against common attacks and running are the easiest, best things you can learn for self-defense (besides keeping you mouth shut, not instigating a situation, not roaming through the hood with a barry manilow shirt on mumbling about 'them' talking our jobs). Boxing may not be as good an option because it leaves out kicks and dirty tricks. Plus a 33yr old father may not want to get punched inthe head everyday, boxing does not deal with weapons, etc.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    "you know as much about logical reasoning as a sea slug knows about weaving friendship bracelets" -thomasaaron

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 1:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good point about boxing cyrjil. The only reason I recommend it is because of the time factor. Weekend warriors (and he is not likely to be training daily), rarely if ever develop the whole range of skills in a broader art. Though they learn lots of stuff I doubt many could aply it. The reason I suggest boxing is that precisely because it is limited, he will attain a higher proficiency with less training.
    And although OFFICIALLY boxing leaves out dirty tricksin the ring, if you;ve ever met a good boxer they can show you "dirty boxing" which is pretty fucking mean. Though of course you are right about the kicks. However, kicks take a long time to become proficient in. You need flexibility, balance, and lots of practice. If you have them its nice but they aren't really necessary.

You make good points cyrjil but you are forgetting why I reccomended these arts in the first place. The main thing being availability, and price. I know he can find a good boxing gym. I don;t know if he can find a good anything else. And these are cheap ways to train when you aren't looking to dedicate your life to martial arts. also like I mentioned since these arts are everywhere and he travels a lot it would be easy to find places to train when he is on the road.

I certainly don't think BJJ would be the wrong way to go, I was just giving an alternate way to go, since I know that everyone here knee jerks and says "if it ain't BJJ its bullshido" I'm not saying you are like that, but if you hadn;t posted it someone would have. All the traditional routes to self defense would get posted, but an option based on price and availability is usually left out.

just my 2 cents.

---------
    Shut up and train

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 1:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    agreed

"you know as much about logical reasoning as a sea slug knows about weaving friendship bracelets" -thomasaaron

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 1:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember I recommended it as a first style. My thinking was going close to farther out in terms of fighting ranges. Maybe that is inappropriate for Regan's goals.

----------------------------

http://www.zanshin-dojo.de

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2003 10:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote]
    Remember I recommended it as a first style. My thinking was going close to farther out in terms of fighting ranges. Maybe that is inappropriate for Regan's goals.

All -

Again, many thanks for the feedback. I've been on the road in the mid-west since my last post - apologies for the delay in responding. I think I've got enough now to make a decision. I visited two schools the week before last (one was a taekwondo school in Tewksbury - the teacher was excellent > 50+ years experience < and was happy to sit with me, explain his curriculum, etc.). Although I was impressed (esp. with the TKD school), I have to be honest w/ myself and think that I will not have the time to dedicate to a very formal MA training program. In turn, I am checking out a local KM school and will be meeting with the owner/instructor within the next week - this is the path I will pursue for the immediate future.

I will try to check in with you as I move and let you know how it progresses. Have a safe and enjoyable summer.

Best regards -

R
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123