--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whats Lethalo ???

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 3:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may think that having to travel a lot will hamper your martial arts training, but you can make it work for you. I recommend finding a style/org that is big nation wide and then hiting the mat in each city you wind up in. Even if you just start up Krav Maga, most BJJ schools have open mat policies and many other styles and schools will let you play with them too. Go everywhere and give it all a shot.

of the three choices you've listed, I'd go with KM too. But none of those option sound great to me...

---------
    Shut up and train

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 3:24pm

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Regan I'm in Mass too, what city are you in?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 3:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote]

"...of the three choices you've listed, I'd go with KM too. But none of those option sound great to me..."

Guys - I appreciate all the feedback. Let me be clear - I am seeking not only an opinion, but some guidance. If you think that I am being misled into a KM or taekwondo class based on my objectives of learning self-defense, then I am specifically looking for you to suggest another art/program. With everything out there (karate, taekwondo, KM, et al) it is very, very difficult to understand (as one who is not versed in the martial arts) what my best options are. It would be insulting and imappropriate of me to ask for a "best bang for the buck" opinion within this crowd, but at the end of the day this is essentially what I am seeking...

I am getting feedback saying, "If your choices are KM, taekwondo or Lethalo, go with X!", but at this point I am eager to entertain other suggestions.

Respectfully...

X

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 3:41pm

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the wonderful world of martial arts. As usual there is no best answer. If ypu'd ask me it'd probably be a combination of Kali/Esrima/Arnis & Judo / Brasilian Jujutsu. But I doubt anyone teaches both of those...

Grr. Such is life ;).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 3:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Krav is good for self-defense and Karate Ju Jitsu Combo could be very effective. You need to try one and see if itr suits you. You may go to a few schools. Judge for yourself. Bring a friend who trains to check out the school and help to guide you. Doesn't matter so much what the art form is but how practical it is and how realistic is the self-defense training. You mentioned you didn't have a lot of time to commit to training. If so you don't bother. You can take a seminar but that is no substiute for training. I think everyone hear would agree. Training takes time period. Whether it boxiing TKD Ju Jitsu karate Krav Maga whatever it is you need to commit time and energy to it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 3:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My suggestion?

Judo and Boxing (or kickboxing). There you have it. this is your combo. Why you ask?

Well MOST of us here agree that you need ground skills + striking skills to be effective. So the combo covers that. Other reason why I suggest these arts are as follows:

1)Price. BJJ is really good for groundwork but usually costs at least triple what judo does. Boxing is usually dirt cheap, though kickboxing has gotten popular so the prices have gone up at moost places. Judo and Boxing is a cheap as **** training option

2) "more bang for your buck" BJJ kicks royal ass, but in addition to costing way more, it lacks good takedown skills. Judo supplies the takedowns, and still gives you a good ground game. Plus, the emphasis on fast ground work, is better for real fighting than BJJ, (in my opinion, though BJJ is king in the Ring). Boxing: Well you aren't looking to go pro here, so its not like you need a billion and one techniques. Boxing keeps it sweet and simple. Learn awesome punches and focus on them. You won't split your effort a million ways and therefore be mediocre at every striking skill. You'll learn a limited but HIGHLY effective system. Plus, you get contact. Lots of it. Training for reality requires that you get a lot of contact, and many many schools won't give you that kind of training.

3) Availability. Boxing exists in every town in America. And judo has been a popular art longer than just about anything so there is a high likelyhood of finding Judo wherever you are and wherever you go. Also when you travel, Judo clubs ANYWHERE would love to have you train with them, and most boxing gyms will let you workout for a few hours either for free or for a small daily fee.

There you have it. Is it the OMG SO PERFECT combo? No. But it covers all your bases, and covers them cheaply. If you wanted to be king baddass of the martial arts world, then I would suggest a different combo, but Judo + BJJ will make you pretty competent without dedicating your life and wallet to MA training.

---------
    Shut up and train

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say go with BJJ. When you feel comfortable with it - that is you feel comfortable with someone being that physically close to you, (Several people have told me they have problems with this when they took BJJ as a first MA) I would then take some kind of striking style such as boxing, kickboxing, or MT. Of course, if you can find a Shooto or Vale Tudo school near you, just do that . . . They will combine all that stuff for you.

Oh yeah, a couple more things Reagan. Stay away from institutions that say anything like -

- most devestating style ever
    - undefeatable
    - our style will neutralize any size or strength advantage
    - any advertisement with the words "Black Belt" and "You will become a"
    - fun and easy
    - only available here
    - secret techniques

----------------------------

http://www.zanshin-dojo.de

Edited by - mrmcfu on July 16 2003 16:57:54

Edited by - mrmcfu on July 16 2003 16:58:38

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 9:58am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is not a good self-defense system for someone starting in their thirties. Especially if he is talking about situations with a wife and kids. "YEAH, go the ground while the rest of the guys friends beat your family"
    Krav will teach him basic punching and kicking, groundwork in order to back to his feet, and some defenses against common attacks.

FK, all of you posts against this art or that art I have not found to be true in my experience. In my BJJ class we do alot of takedowns, but again, unless you just want to dump your attacker, groundwork should not be the focus.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    i can do anuything as long as i am surrounded by twenty friends and the berimbau is playing my song
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 10:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FISTING TWAT, you dumb BIAAAATCH! The guy said he only had access to TKD, Lethalo, and Krav Maga. What? Are you deaf as well as STUPID?

Fighting Spirit is 90% of the battle. If you don't have it, you ain't **** -- regardless of what style you practice.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast