Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 5:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've looked into "Lethalo" instruction and kindly ask, as an individual with no martial arts experience, for insights relative to its value for the purposes of learning self defense. I am comparing this as an option to taking taekwondo classes as a beginner at a local school.

Respectfully...

Marasmos

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 5:17pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as self defence is concerned, both TKD and lethalo are not going to be very useful.

Before anyone here can offer any more advice, though, we need more information on who you are, why you suddenly decided that you need self defence, how much time and effor you are planning to invest, etc.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

Marasmos

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 5:18pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "As far as self defence is concerned, both TKD and lethalo are not going to be very useful"

Most likely, that is. There's all sorts of exceptions out there, but this is the trend.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 5:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should take up Lethalo, because it has the word "Lethal" in the title, and the "o" stands for "ostentatiously effective".

"I do injoy using words like **** **** bitch ho etc."
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 6:01pm

Style: insane

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lethalo, its lethal man.

its so badass, I heard you have to strap yourself with C4 and blow yourself up to get your black belt.

X

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 1:32am

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Generally a good idea is to avoid everything which claims to be the world's absolutely deadliest martial art.

And also everything which mostly consists of jumping, spinning, high kicks. I'm not saying TKD doesn't teach any good skills, but if anyone intends to use it like they do in the class even against 100% unskilled opponents they would have to keep in mind such minor detail as WINTER and ICE for example...

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 1:54am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you need self-defense and your only options are Lethalo and TKD, take Lethalo. You can always supplement your class training with input from outside sources (books, videos, etc.) and even if Lethalo isn't the greatest, it'll at least give you focused self defense instruction vs. TKD's sportive and character building angles.
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 2:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to thank those of you who answered my question seriously. Here are my vitals:

- 33 yrs old;
    - no prior martial arts experience;
    - good physical condition;
    - married / kids / job that sees a plane strapped to my back, i.e. I, unfortunately and realistically, do not have the kind of time I'd like to dedicate to a formal and lengthy MA training program;
    - I am looking for solid self-defense skills that would provide the ability to both put off, and if needed aggressively and smartly engage in, a fight.

The thing that prompted this... I was recently on vacation with my family and got into a shouting match with a guy whose kid had thrown a fire cracker near one of my kids. Nobody was hurt, but the bottom line was that I felt compelled to say something - I did, it escalated a bit, then we both walked away.

I realize that, if this was a different individual that I was dealing with, the outcome may have been different and it could have escalated further into a physical confrontation. I want to make sure that, if something like this happens again and the other guy decides to throw, I am ready. That's it - I trust this brings some context.

I am now specifcally asking for feedback on Krav Maga. I have id'd. a school local to me (n'eastern Massachusetts) and am scheduled to see the owner next week. I am willing and able to spend the money and time, and consider myself a disciplined and dedicated person to take something like this on. Please let me know your thoughts on KM (I've read a lot of posts on a seperate string regarding KM and there seems to be a 50/50 split of opinions, but this looks like it may provide an ideal program).

Regards,

R

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    which school in mass? i take krav in mass if you want to e-mail me.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    i can do anuything as long as i am surrounded by twenty friends and the berimbau is playing my song
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

X

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know anything about Krav Maga, but if these three were the choices, I'd be running towards the Krav Maga school like the wind...
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast