Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 10:34am

Style: mixed +

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many of us attend seminar and many of us provide seminars. Question one: What exactly do people want out of seminars? It seem some people want a show, to say they have been, to obtain a certificate, or to really learn. Now don't forget the difference between learning and copying. Are you afraid to ask questions, or question the movement, or ask the reality or effectiveness of what is being taught. You are a consumer, not a robot, so my other question is whether you (you the payee) take advantage of this learning environment by questioning, or do you go away and bad mouth later because you didn't understand? Which one are you??

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 10:36am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why would you pay money to go away empty handed?

----------------------------

http://www.zanshin-dojo.de

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 11:11am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simple answer for me:
    To learn something that I didn't know before.

I'm both. Especially if my first criteria isn't met.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 11:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ace, what prompted your question?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 11:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go to a seminar to learn

As for my behavior, it depends on the seminar and my relationship to it:
    If it's in my system, I will ask the instructor anything, try to comprehend any detail and never accept anything I believe is ineffective (though sometimes a thing could be very effective, just too advanced for me).

But, if I am a guest with another system, I will follow the house rules. I won't be the only one to question the teacher, even if I will find myself thinking he is teaching bullshido. No point in going into a conflict for nothing but my "righteousness", while I could still learn something trying to figure out the ideas.

Amir

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 1:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The purpose of me going to a seminar is definetly learning, rather it be a whole different system or a system that I currently study. Seminars throw a lot at you in a short amount of time so if you can walk away learning 1 or 2 things that you didn't know before, then I feel it is worth it. Do I question the instructor, yes, if I don't understand the end goal of the technique. Do I throw up what if scenarios? Yes, if I feel that they are valid in learning the effectiveness of the technique.

The true question is how many of you learn from a seminar and then try to implement what you learn in your current system. Too many times I have seen people get all worked up at the seminar just to forget a week later. What good is the seminar then?

Jeremy M. Talbott

Owner of Kungfools, Scourge of Kungfools' joke-based logic, and the Preeminent Force in putting dumbasses like him to bed
    http://www.koreanma.homestead.com/index.html
    http://www.martialscience.homestead.com/home.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 2:00pm

Style: mixed +

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dibble,
    I have been to many seminars where people don't say a word, and the instructor goes away thinking he did a good job. It is more a consumers be aware question. We should be listing seminars where the instructor are doing a good job and those doing it for the money.
  8. 9chambers

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 4:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I posted threads about two seminars I went to last week, I gave positive reviews both times. I hope I didn't inspire this thread. If so then you must have skimmed my posts. Oh well.

The Aikido seminar was very formal but there were instructors walking around giving instructions. I did ask questions. When I said I didn't test the technique I mean I didn't resist it. I didn't counter it. I wanted to see it work how it's supposed too. I didn't want to seem like a trouble-maker.

The gun seminar was very good. I made comments and asked questions. I liked the guy. He even used some striking dissarms like I do. He was very professional and experienced.

They were both good experiences.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 7:44pm

Style: insane

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go to seminars to critically judge the teacher and constantly say "Oh I KNEW THAT ALREADY", with my face all screwed up and lots of "hhrrrummphh" sounds throughout the instruction. Of course this is all done covertly, as I also try my best to be the star pupil in front of the teacher and Typically, I will pick a weaker person to practice with and USE MY OWN TECHNIQUES aggressively on them instead of the ones being taught.

As part of my seminar preparation, I will also spend some time beforehand, digging up whatever dirt I can on the instructor/teacher, which I spread around quietly to other more gullible participants. Also I will constantly make value judgements on the teachers abilities (behind thier back).

After the seminar, I will incorporate what ever I learnt secretly, and act towards everyone else as if I already knew it all beforehand.
  10. 9chambers

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 8:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You sound like a dick.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast