Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 9:16am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am ignorant about wrestling. However I have heard people on the board talk alot about it as an important element of MMA. Also, I remember seeing a Gracie quote about facing your opponent in a real fight and needing a dental plan if you lacked wrestling training. Right now I practice BJJ and Shooto, but my goal is to become good at MMA because I enjoy it- I don't want to be deficient in my training. What do you think wrestling would give me that these other two styles lack?

----------------------------

http://www.zanshin-dojo.de

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 10:25am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not that familiar with Shooto, but nobody has takedowns like Wrestlers. Also, controlling position on the ground from the top is much easier if you've got a wrestling background. This is why so many ex-wrestlers are able to use the "ground and pound" so effectively.

IMO, for all aspects of MMA that don't involve striking or submissions, Wrestling skills are king. Takedown defense, scrambling, controlling the clench/standing grappling, and more can all be improved by working on classical wrestling skills.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO, for all aspects of MMA that don't involve striking or submissions, Wrestling skills are king. Takedown defense, scrambling, controlling the clench/standing grappling, and more can all be improved by working on classical wrestling skills.
    Phrost haven't you been paying attentitoins to my harpings. SUBMISSIONS ARE EASIER WITH A WRESLTING BACKGROUND!!! Many submissions used today come from two manin places JUDO and ........WRESTLING!!!!!! (the Gulotine is a WRESTLING move and term so is KEYLOCK.)Most pple are only familar with FOLK, FREESTYLE, and GRECOROMAN wrestling which no longer have allow submissions but the potential to get them are still trained in the basic skills. A HOOKER is a old term for a competive professional wrestler (see LOU THESZ, ED LEWIS, hell CHRIS BENOIT and CHRIS JERICHO is a great example of a modern Hooker they have great submission skills don't let the programs fool you.) A HOOK is a submission hold. According to the late Thesz it was termed so because once you HOOKED some one they scremmed like a fish on a hook.

Fu,

I am familar with SHOOTO but didn't know there were any schools in Germany (not many outside of Japan for that matter) Where do you train?
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!!
    THE TRUE FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 11:07am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My dojo is in my sig. I just found this place about three months ago. The guy Finn trained with Erik Paulsen and is quite good.

----------------------------

http://www.zanshin-dojo.de

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 11:24am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything that specializes tends to be outstanding in their area. Boxing for strikes. Wrestling for throws, and take downs, BJJ and "catch" for submissions...etc.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 11:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have some questions about wrestling. Is there any place to train wrestling outside of school? My high school didn't have a wrestling team (though I petitioned for them to start one) and as far as I know, my university doesn't have one either. As you all know, I do BJJ and Judo among other things, but I would love to add wrestling into my mix. So I ask you where? how? and how much?

---------
    Shut up and train

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 2:15pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are some MMA Gyms that have Grecco and you can also hold (or attend) seminars with people like www.straightblastgym.com or Team Quest (Randy Couture SP?).

Edited by - shinbushi on July 14 2003 14:17:29

***ned

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 6:22pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can never be good enough at takedowns. =) BJJ will help your ground game, wrestling will help your standup grappling game, and Shooto will put it all into context. =)

~
    danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 4:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kitten,

Also check your local community centers. Somes you will get lucky and find a wrestling team. Prices, if any, may vary.

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!!
    THE TRUE FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 4:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Asia, I'll hit up the YMCA tomorrow.

---------
    Shut up and train
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast