Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 2:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt, sheesh all you want. If he was any good at Bagua, this would have looked differently. I will, however, grant you that he is a better kickboxer than Bagua fighter.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 3:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listen Fighty, I don't know you at all. So you may be a very reasonable guy. But, "If he was any good at Bagua, this would have looked differently" sounds like the same old crap you always hear from people when a style doesn't work.

IMO, the reason fights like that almost always seem to "degenerate" into kickboxing is because 1. It works. And 2. It is a much more natural way to fight.

And I'll ask everyone here who is a TMA apologist... How can you tell the difference between when someone sucks and isn't a true representation of the style and when the art itself simple fails to work?

Fighty, nice Roosevelt quote though. So you can't be all bad! ;)

Regards,
    Matt

"My cat's name is Mittens."
    Ralph Wiggum

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 3:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt,

I like kickboxing, and I agree that it is an easier and far more naturalistic approach to hittin-n-kickin. I am also a fan of good martial arts done well. I am merely lamenting the suckiness of the supposed Bagua guy. He did "degenerate" into kickboxing, because it was bad kickboxing and didn't help him win. I used that term, because he gave up his representative style (Bagua) to do poorly in a different one (kickboxing). If he had kicked ass with kickboxing, I would have said "progressed" into kickboxing. I am NOT saying kickboxing is bad or worse than Bagua. I am one of those "it's all about the fighter" kind of guys.

Again, just lamenting poor representation of an art that I think is pretty cool. Bagua is a mid and close range style with lots of trips and offbalancing techniques, whipping strikes, and the famous Bagua palm. I saw none of that here.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 5:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, no wait! He did actually try a palm strike right in the beginning. Watch it again.

Is that the Bagua palm??

;)

Matt

"My cat's name is Mittens."
    Ralph Wiggum

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 5:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha ha! I suppose so. There are quite a few variations on the palm strike in Bagua. That one was the upside down facing palm strike? Looked sad.

I think we are generally in agreement on this guy sucking, Matt. I just won't go that extra mile to say that Bagua sucks as a martial art.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 7:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Too bad there are no headshots. The Chinese guy is just asking for a 1-2 on his face." - Simps

Yep. That's what I thought, as well. His WIDE body hooks were just asking for a KO. I wonder if he would have done the same thing if head shots were legal. Somehow, I don't think so.

I would like to see them lose the gardengin gloves in favor of something with some padding and then go to the head.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234