• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. 9chambers

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 3:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to an Aikido seminar featuring Haruo Matsuoka (founder of Aikido Doshinokai) this weekend. It was traditional to the max. Breathing, bowing, skirts and incense burning to O'Sensei. I never liked the whole martial arts "scene" myself, I was always in it for the athletics, adventure and fun. Aside from my Ninjutsu days back in the 80's (c'mon, you know you were a ninja back then, everyone was) I never really cared much for the spiritual mumbo jumbo associated with martial arts. However I do respect other cultures and traditions and I like Japanese people so I bowed to the mat on my knees like everyone, I was quiet and I didn't try to counter or test the techniques when we split up into pairs and tried them out. I was a good boy and I didn't make a scene.

Except well .. once I was concentrating on my friend (new to the martial arts, talked me into going to this seminar), who was having such a hard time doing back rolls that he was holding up the class, so much that I ran into the display of O'Sensei. Yea, that's right. They had incense and a picture on a tripod and a wooden sword and staff on a small rack. I bumped the sword rack and it slid a little bit. I felt like a retard. This would be like knocking over the communion tray at a Catholic church. Anyway, I tried to look really ashamed of myself and got back in line.

Then there was the time my partner (who was my friend that I came with that drill) thought he'd be funny when I was demonstrating a throw and resist. He crowded me and tried to take me down from behind so I hooked his arm and sprawled forward, hooked his leg for the revearsal, turned to face him and got him an a triangle guillotine type choke. All of this took place in a room full of Aikido people doing the same drill. It wasn't too noisy but still .. a little. *sigh* How embarrassing.

Most of my younger partners were a little frustrated since I didn't know how to do their drills properly. The instructors were cool though. One of them was very kind and patient. I appreciated that quite a bit. There were only about three people from other disciplines and I was one of them. Me, I have only researched Aikido by reading about it. My formal experience in seizing is from Hapkido, Jiu Juitsu and a little bit of Chin Na. I had never experienced Aikido being applied on me until this weekend. It is totally different from anything else that seems to resemble it. totally different.

The specific full body movement, the footwork .. aside from Kendo and Iaido I really don't think I have learned anything that resembles it at all. Aikido is totally individual and very specific. It is fluid but very full of intent. It reminds me of a wave pulling you in and then crashing. Sure there are your standard arm bars and wrist locks but the way in which they do them is just totally unique. I really don't think I could learn Aikido. I would have to start over from scratch and go in an entirely different direction. I am programmed to move another way. It really is apples and oranges.

As far as it being effective: yea, I think a guy could restrain most people using Aikido if it is something they had been doing for years. Especially if the person didn't know that you studied it. The locks and takedowns were very effective when applied. Being agile and limber I think I could have avoided, slipped or rolled out of most everything but there is always a counter to a counter to a counter. All I know is that I have more respect for Aikido now than I did before. It seems very difficult to learn and quite effective. It was like a foreign language to me ~ only I was the sojourner this weekend. I was the foreigner.

My only problem is: I really can't think of anything that could be paired with Aikido. The movement is so specific, so designed, so calculated that I really don't see how you could mix it with another martial art well. Aikido stands alone.

>> Perhaps it was because I had an inherent skill for the science and never deviated from natural principles. - Miyamoto Musashi 1643

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 4:03am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the good review.

Funny that, I felt the same thing about WT (about the mixing with another style).

----------------------------

http://www.zanshin-dojo.de

Edited by - mrmcfu on July 14 2003 04:04:11

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 7:34am

Style: Aikido and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9chambers, thats a really great review.

Thanks for writting it, I'm glad that you've experienced Aikido. Having the respect for the art to go and see if for yourself is fanastic and I can only respect you for it.

More importantly you relised that Aikido is not for you, and any good Aikidoka wont judge you for doing so.

Yours respectfully,

Chris

Osu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 7:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think your problem with mixing Aikido and another M.A. is a misconception.

Aikido could be combined with most other M.A. but to do that, one would have to be proficient in Aikido and another M.A. first, and only then try to combine them.

In my Dojo we have multiple students who combine Korindo Aikido practice with another M.A. (a few even combine 2 other M.A.). The most common of those M.A. are Karate and Judo since my teacher is teaching them as well. But I have combined a little TKD I practiced into my moves and I know of another student combining a small amount of Kung-Fu from time to time.

As for the ability to avoid, slip or roll out of most techniques. I am not surprised, many Aikido practitioners intentionally encourage their training partner to roll out, this can open opportunities to counters as well as escapes from the techniques. But if the practitioner is aware of it, he will only give you this opening in a training situation (because then it allows for faster and safer practice).

Amir

Taking a break

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 7:44am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You and your partner did the right thing in taking a movement and experimenting with them, even to the point where it was no longer aikido. Sadly, people acting like sheep and saying "Thats not aikido, so don't do it" are too common. Having instructors who are ok with you doing things different helps tremendously.
    I understand what you mean about having to relearn MA if you do aikido. My years of jujitsu held me back in a big way, and for the first year I felt as though I could never win a fight.
    All credit to you for trying it with and open mind.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989