Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #11
    Phrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1998
    Location
    Cow Town
    Posts
    19,137
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My two cents (personal opinion)...

    If you're being honest with yourselves, fighting on the streets is not the most honorable thing a person could do, martial artist or no. Neither is training to hurt/maim/kill someone regardless of the reason.

    People shouldn't have to get their morals from an "art" which is designed to hurt others. That would be like studying to be a dietician at the University of McDonald's. (No relation to this website stated or implied whatsoever, hummana hummana...)

    Unless your school is an organization like the Shaolin Temple, for example, that blends "religion" (Buddhism isn't technically a religion in the Western sense) and martial skill, or an organization that has a specific purpose for martial arts (Police Force, Military, etc), then as individuals, it's not the responsibility of the instructor to teach you morals. In the above cases, morals are needed because each member of the "team" or each disciple at the temple is an integral part of a group working toward a goal. If there were no ground rules (codes of honor, for example) the group could not succeed.

    But your average Dojo in the U.S, at least, doesn't need all that. People go there to train a few days a week, and then go home to their jobs and their lives. If one of them doesn't show up, the school goes on (or goes under if they're not getting enough business...) and nobody cares. If they use their skills to rob an old lady, they are individually responsible for their own actions, being private citizens.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    mst
    Posts
    4
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's all on the person,
    the Art can only teach you so much..

  3. #13
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,677
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial artists are merely a subculture of society. As such, it's not impossible (nor should it be surprising to anybody here) to find more than a few idiots as members of that subculture.

    After all, there are stupid students, chefs, police officers, doctors, etc....

    Not that I'm pleading anybody's case in particular here, but why can't there be stupid Martial Artists either?

    Le Grill?? What the hell is that?!! - Homer Simpson
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

  4. #14
    CrimsonTiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,578
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ttt with Phrost.

    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

    "Good is the enemy of Great" - T-shirt seen on Queen Street, Toronto
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

    "Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

  5. #15
    Working my way back to health supporting member
    poet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    877
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phrost
    Unless your school is an organization like the Shaolin Temple, for example, that blends "religion" (Buddhism isn't technically a religion in the Western sense) and martial skill, or an organization that has a specific purpose for martial arts (Police Force, Military, etc), then as individuals, it's not the responsibility of the instructor to teach you morals. In the above cases, morals are needed because each member of the "team" or each disciple at the temple is an integral part of a group working toward a goal. If there were no ground rules (codes of honor, for example) the group could not succeed.
    How is the JD coming? you give good argument.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    196
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting points, one and all. I definately think there is something about taking mature and responsible approach to any martial art/style. It is simply about growing up and being an adult about things. People who go around spouting they can do this, or they can do that, are being immature and usually are the "idiots of the subculture" I think, as Rising Pheonix mentioned. The true martial artist/master has nothing to prove.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    81
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the word "SELF-CONTROL" sums it up.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    CST
    Posts
    78
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since morals come from outside the art, do instructors have a responsibility to only teach "moral" people?

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    EST
    Posts
    336
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Talking of video games, Shenmue has some very good martial arts ethics in it. Shenmue 2 is on Xbox, it's pretty good actually, it even goes into the laws of the Wu De.

    And a lil' old Tai Chi guy is in it too! Loads of cool stuff in the game, like Baji!

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    47
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why? If someone wants to hurt someone the odds are that theyll use a gun.
    There are quite a few crimes that have no weapons involved. In fact just glancing at statistics from the U.S. Department of Justice only "in 26% of the incidents of violent crime, a weapon was present." Of course for homicide and robberies the percentage was much higher. Still, a sizable amount of crime is committed without the use of weapons.

    Personally I wouldn't teach someone if I felt them to be a morally reprehensible individual, even if there was a 99% chance they wouldn't use a single thing I taught them in a fight, that 1% would still bother me if I heard they'd mauled someone.


    Wyatt

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO