Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 2:22pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The difference here is that from what I've seen, the tournaments don't limit any aspect of BJJ during the competition. Judo and TKD both limit fundamental aspects of their respective arts in the sport verions (ie, punches and groudwork).

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 2:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The real problem here is that the crowd is ignorant. It never really rang true until one day at a Muay Thai gym I overheard two guys talking about how the crowd has no freaking clue what a lowkick can do...

Funny how they can understand Wrestling perfectly well but have no clue about Judo. I think some freestyle grappling would be well in order to help resolve some of this. They might get a taste for Jiujitsu too.

And uh... Muay Thai in the olympics... without gay olympic rules. Just full on do what you want rules, PLEASE.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

***ned

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 4:09pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You the same things said about Judo can also be partly said for BJJ.

Many BJJ schools only teach sport for competition and have nothing in there about real fighting or self-defense.

Many require competition in tournaments for advancement in rank.
    So, what's your point?

~
    danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 6:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ in the Olympics could be pretty cool.

I just saw (I think) the 1998 world championships from Brazil - the one Mario Sperry won.
    That was pretty cool.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 6:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry but I do Osiris- if you look at your TKD thread you would see I talked with you about it. I trained WTF TKD with an alternate member for the US national team and competed in several tournaments at the black belt level. You are suppossed to get one point for a successful punch to the chest that does some damage. I've seen judges give points for a fucking double kick. You can't "rock their body" with a double kick, only tickle them. At the same time, I saw someone not get a point for knocking down an opponent with a punch to the chest. Sorry, but that just doesn't cut it in my book.

Oh the 720 kick was sarcasm. I noticed the scoring gets more prejudiced towards technique instead of actual kicking the higher you go, so I responded with something equally ridiculous.

----------------------------

http://www.zanshin-dojo.de

Edited by - mrmcfu on July 13 2003 18:33:41

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 7:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If wushu got into the olympics, it would be another blow to traditional chinese martial arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 8:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kensai, the really nice thing about the Olympics embracing Judo has been that it is televised. But that is the nice thing. Amonst the Judoka I have talked to, the art is in flux. The emphasis has gone away from technique and towards strength, often to the detriment of the art (now sport). Instead of two skilled chess players feeling for weakness and using proper momentum and ability, it has become a clash of bulls. Not that strength never played a part (duh), but that it has become all important in competition, resulting in throws that barely look Judo.

But whatever. That's just what people have said to me. I have no personal investment in it.

Flame on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2003 8:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree fighty.

---------
    Shut up and train

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 8:02am

Style: Aikido and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps you are correct fighty.

As I understand it, Olympic Judo guys sometimes fight to the "safe" points. This I dont agree with as it goes against the spirit of Judo, which is to get stuck in there.

However, there are a lot of players not just in the olympics that have some big throws. Some of the current greats from the UK, Russia and Japan that dont go for the co-unchi's but for tobi tai otoshi's, O Soto's and drop seoi nage's that make Judo so great to watch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 8:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think they should have an olypic version of the UFC. Before each day's activities, the various martial artists can do a form or kata or something to oooh and aaaah the audience. Then, they can rock & roll to see who's the best.

Fighting Spirit is 90% of the battle. If you don't have it, you ain't **** -- regardless of what style you practice.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12