Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 3:59pm

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I have a good enough base in Karate to start cross training in a grappling art. I want to learn how to throw people and add more technique to my chokes so I'm going with Judo.

What should I be looking for in a good Judo dojo? Judokas, please give me your insight.

Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 4:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recomend avoiding olympic style dojos. You'll learn 3 or 4 perfect throws, a fewother decent throws and shitty groundwork.

Try and find a more art (rather than competition)oriented judo club. Watch a class and see if the spend equal time on the ground and on their feet. See if they emphasize ALL the throws in the kodokan curriculum or if the higher ranks just split off and do uchikomi of their favorite techniques.

If they train everything pretty well then it's probably a good school.

---------
    Shut up and train

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 5:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is a reasonable price for a good Judo school?

"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 5:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recommend finding a college club/team. they are usually MUCH cheaper. I wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks a month for judo. Simply because lots of instructors teach it for cheap.

I pay 25 bucks a semester at my university judo club, and yes you can join if you aren't student.

---------
    Shut up and train

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 5:10am

Style: Aikido and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I pay 2.50 for 2 hours of Judo, thats about $1.75 per hour for you Americans.

I do BJA Judo, the head of which is Olympic Champion Niel Adams. I think Olympic Judo does have a lot to offer, we do 50:50 work on both Ne and tachi waza.

For every 30 minutes of theory and uchikomi we do 30 minutes of randori.

Judo as a style can be very specific. Although I do know quite a few throws, I only use perhaps 2 of 3 of those. These are the ones I work on the most. In that respect it can be quiet restrictive, however you can apply those throws to almost any grip, which is a good trade off. Having resently gone to a non olympic rules club, I've found no real problems with my Judo and in fact come off resonably well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 7:04am

Style: Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't take judo for that long (about a year and a half), but all I have to say is just watch the class, see what it offers.

Like Kensai says, of the myriad throws you're gonna learn, you end up using only a few of them, but judo also does teach a lot of spur-of-the-moment strategy.

My skill with a sword is formidable. My skill with the s-word is flat-out lethal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 11:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Kensai I see where you are dcoming from now. If I got to train with Neil Adams I'd like Olympic style judo too. Hes famous for being one of the only well rounded olympic style players. And he's world renowned for his arm lock techniques, and thats not exactly a normal skill for most judoka. Wow, I wanna come train with your school!

---------
    Shut up and train

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 12:11pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    interesting, there was a judo comp when I went to your the university i'm going to

i plan to take jujitsu (don't kill me on the spelling) since the university doesn't seem to offer judo clubs

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    http://www.fightauthority.com/

" I'm pretty good when the gi tops come off." Posted by Crimson Tiger
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 3:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm willing to pay 35-40 dollars a month for instruction. I'm not expecting anyone in South Florida to match my Karate dojo's 25/mo. A studnet at FIU said the Judo club there was a little soft. Though they were the team to beat up that carjacker at the gas station in California.

Anyway, thanks for the imput. I'll keep you posted once I find an affordable school.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 6:11pm

Style: Aikido and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fisting, if I only did get to train with him. Although I will be having a Seminar with him soon. My dojo is only a local type club, but we do work hard and my instructors are great technications. I think they've been his students at one time or another.

BJA Judo syllabus focus's 50:50 on ground work and standing. Both are equally important. Kano Sensei made the time limit on Newaza so that Judo wouldnt boil down to just a ground work system.

But Neil Adams is cool, I have a photo of an amazing flying tai otoshi.... I wanna be able to do that! lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast