X

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    “Of Western Martial Arts”

by Richard Lionheart Johnson, Ph.D., Head of The Institute for the Preservation of the European Martial Arts (T.I.P.E.M.A.)

It has long been thought that the people of the western hemisphere did not have their own fighting methods, depite them having conquered nearly the whole world and killing anyone they liked, but due to the studies of our Institute, we have recently discovered that Martial Arts DID, in fact, exist in Europe. Not only this, but we have also found out that the techniques generally depicted in these arts are by far superior to most of the eastern ones, both those practiced at that time, as well as those of today, in nearly every sense. In this light it is difficult to understand why these Arts are not practiced any longer today. One can only wonder if it is the lack of ‘fighting spirit’ in today’s western people, that these arts have been lost in time. The Institute for the Preservation of the European Martial Arts (T.I.P.E.M.A.) is dedicated for the preservation of these fighting skills of our ancestors.

First of all, it must be stressed that none of our members, be it instructors or students, have anything to do with such activities as ‘role-playing’, or ‘historical re-enactment’. What we teach in our Institution is a Martial Art, based on the authentic teachings of such Masters as Long John Silver and Robin of Locksley.

Some people consider these skills of the European swordsmen a long since lost tradition. This is not true. The author of this text, for example, received lessons in longsword and backsword from his great-grandfather at the age of five.

It is true, however, that these arts have not been practiced for centuries, and that anyone who ever even knew they existed died at least a hundred years ago. But they did write manuals. You have to remember also that this happened a long time ago, when there was no shortage of money. Thus these manuals are an accurate representation of the Arts. For in the old times the Masters wrote, not for money, but for the students. Just compare this to the travesty of today’s ‘masters’ selling their videotapes to anyone with money! In the old times, you would have first to become an apprentice, and then, maybe, after decades and decades of study you would be ready to open your own school. THIS is the old spirit that T.I.P.E.M.A. represents.

Some people have claimed that perhaps these books are not a good enough source for finding out what the old masters were trying to teach, and that it is difficult to decipher the techniques from a piece of Middle English text. However, the instructors in our Institute can READ. They can look at the three, albeit extremely badly drawn, pictures in the book, and reconstruct the true techniques that these Masters of their Art were teaching 200 years ago. It is true that Universities have studied these texts for years, aye, but we can only laugh at such frivolous attempts. Naturally, one must study the Arts, and align oneself with the spirits of the old. No mere studies can do this; it is a style of life; the life of the true European Warrior.

Find the genuine Western roots of both yourself and the true European fighting spirit. T.I.P.E.M.A.

X

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 3:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It hasn't?

X

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 3:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course not... It had a lot to do with having better weapons etc. But do you honestly thing that the stuff they teach today has anything to do with what they did then... THAT is the question. BTW I am European if you thought I wasn't.

X

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 4:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (unintentional comedy I guess)

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 7:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They didnt conquer ppl with empty hand styles. They did it with guns, swords and strategy.

And Os, how many ppl have you talked too who think all martial arts come from Asia (the continent, not the dark lord of Baji)?

I hear it all the time when I tell ppl that boxing is a martial art.

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 8:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldnt mind seeing more European combat manuals. I really like those.

"Do what thou wilt is the whole of the Law"
    Anton La Vey made me say it!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 9:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find this amusing.

"What we teach in our Institution is a Martial Art, based on the authentic teachings of such Masters as Long John Silver and Robin of Locksley."

I did not know Robbin Hood was real. Was he real?

So do they teach Pirate Fu or Merry man jitsu?

Wherein I can learn the secrets of loading a musket ball into a match lock pistol, or sharpening a cutlass, better still proper long bow use.

I cannot explain why but I find this somehow slightly to the left of S.C.A.R.S. I further cannot explain why it is left or what that signifies aside from its proximity to S.C.A.R.S.

Which is arguably a bad thing.

----

X

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 10:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Long John Silver was OK by you, though? (HINT: R.L.Stevenson "Treasure Island")

& I see this **** hasn't invaded USA yet (I'm Finnish) since most of you seem to think that had no basis in reality...

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/4933/westernarts.html

There are a lot more pages...

I have absolutely nothing against western martial arts. But you can't just pull something out of your ass, call it one, and take the money.

Some of these people DO say that they learn old swordfighting skills from books, and take money from others to teach it to them...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 10:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Freddy, here you go. ARMA is the only site I have marked and in ready access, I can dig up more latter.

http://www.thearma.org/manuals.htm

Oh particular interest at a glance http://www.thearma.org/Manuals/Goliath/Goliath_part5.htm

As to Long John Silver, maybe they screwed up naming John Silver, the English instructor of some fame?

X

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 10:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'They' didn't screw up anything, I made that **** up, but I DO know that there was a famous English swordsman called Silver (was it John, I'm not sure?), which is why I put that there...

Please, if any more people take that seriously I'll have to start giving you classes.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast