Sponsored Links Spacer Image

X

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 10:34am

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I happened to be reading a discussion board of a Finnish newspaper (not quite of tabloid level, but almost), where some people were discussing their views on self-defence. This is important because the Finnish laws (or rather the way they are read) SUCK HARD... But anyway some things people posted there were rather 'interesting', if not surprising:

- Women, at the same time, thought that a knee to the balls is both a sure defence, AND quite harmless at the same time.

- One guy said that punches to the nose should be avoided, because, you guessed it, 'the nose bone can pierce the brain'... No comments...

- Another guy was wondering why everyone was so much intent on striking the attacker back, and proposed that you should just dodge or block the blows (!?). This is pretty much what you'll have to do in Finland if you don't want to get punished yourself, though....

- A woman, who claimed to have learned this move at a karate class, said that if a rapist tackled her, she'd wait him to let go first, because 'they have to do this to open their zipper'. Then you should SLAP BOTH OF YOUR HANDS OVER HIS EARS, because this hurts a lot and damages your balance (arrghh). What the rapist would even care about balance when he was already on top of her, I don't know....

X

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 10:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes I know it technically works, but in that situation, hell no.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 10:48am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clap the ears, then pull up sharply on the zipper and/or cock.

----------------------------

http://www.zanshin-dojo.de

game dog

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 11:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ouch, ouch, ouch... guess what, it's possible to open the belt and zipper with one hand, holding down the poor woman's throat with the other. I hope she'll never find that out in person. And I really don't know what people are thinking - that an attacker would never, ever conceive that someone tries to kick his nuts, or what? It's not that hard to prevent...
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Marasmos

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 12:33pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be honest, I think that "unarmed self defence" is, as of itself, not a good idea. If I was truly concerned about defending myself, I would certainly look for other, more effective options. If I was concerned with my girlfriend defending herself, I would certainly not put her in an empty-handed martial art.

As far as rape goes, funny as it is, I think BJJ will be a great option for women. I think that a girl with a good guard should be able to neutralize stronger untrained men. I would definitly not advocate any of the "self defence" arts, though, that rely on groin kicks, eye gauges, and the like.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

X

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 12:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "If I was truly concerned about defending myself, I would certainly look for other, more effective options. If I was concerned with my girlfriend defending herself, I would certainly not put her in an empty-handed martial art."

Yeah, but this is the problem I was assessing about Finnish laws... There's no way you can carry a gun for self-defence, for example (not that I would anyway), much less use one.

Mace or something like that might be OK I guess, I'm not quite sure about those.

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 12:42pm

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "SLAP BOTH OF YOUR HANDS OVER HIS EARS"

The bones in the eardrum are very sensitive and very vulnerable to this attack.

I've had this done to me with HEADGEAR on and it actually buckled my knees. This is a much better option for a lady than a heel stomp/palm heel.
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Marasmos

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 12:48pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I said, I think it's all about the guard game for girls.

Most rapes take place one on one, and in secluded places. Thus getting away quickly is not really a concern the way it is in bar fights and the like. Also, the smaller and lighter girl is going on her back like it or not, and I can't think of a better thing to do than wrap the guy up in a nice tight close guard, and wait until he tires out. I wouldn't really worry about submission attempts either until he's completely exhausted - just pull him in real tight, and control his hips and arms. The only real problem with that is the danger of getting slammed, but I would assume that most rapists would not think to do that.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 1:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "kick his nuts, or what? It's not that hard to prevent..."

At my school groin strikes are allowed (most of us wear cups) and stance and position do a lot to neutralize these attacks.

My fiancee actually also tries this in jest sometimes and it is indeed easy to prevent. Though when done in combination with an attempted toothbrush attack she was actually able to mildly "slice" my chest before I could grab her wrist and take the toothbrush away. It was actually a nice combo.

My single chopstick is bad at serving soup, cutting steaks and basting roasts and chickens. Besides that it owns.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 4:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've also had just a single ear boxed and even that is annoying as hell.

My single chopstick is bad at serving soup, cutting steaks and basting roasts and chickens. Besides that it owns.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast