Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 7:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So basically Mike your taking out your ass. You got defensive because you take the art so you're coming to the defense of something that you only have rudimentary understanding of. Great.

Now STFU.

All you're showing is the insecurity you are feeling on an art that's hard to fully showcase properly.

Grow up and get with the discussion.

Go away I'm talking to myself
    I have alot more understanding of it than most people here so I think it is time those who know nothing about Aikido except from what they have heard or seen on a video clip to STFU.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 7:45am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fact of the matter is, though, that someone who was studying a martial art (ANY MARTIAL ART) for 15 years will, on average, be able to dominate someone who has been studying it for 35, provided they started around the same age, simply because the age would factor in. Old men in funny robes tossing around young and fit fighters is something that happens in the movies, but not in real life.
    I would have to disagree with this. Pretty much everyone who studied with Yip Man (except Leung Ting) has said that he was pretty much untouchable into old age. Near the time of his death he was ill, but before that, people couldn't touch him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 7:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why pay X a month for something that may work on subpar fighters when you can pay about the same for learning the skills needed to defeat ANY fighter?
    I crosstrain in several arts just like many here do, I think all martial arts have weaknesses and on their own would probably get defeated in UFC type events. Aikido has many effective techniques and great movements that can set up all kinds of attacks but as I said it has no groundfighting of note so it can not compete on its own with trained grapplers, it is a standup art.

Pure boxing also would have no chance in MMA, but that does not mean it is not an effecive self defense style especially if combined with other martial arts. I would say the same about pure wrestling as well because you have to crosstrain with that as well to effective in MMA.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 11:11am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido has many effective techniques and great movements that can set up all kinds of attacks but as I said it has no groundfighting of note so it can not compete on its own with trained grapplers, it is a standup art.
    No, seriously, you need to shut up. You're starting to look dumber than the idiot that you are.

I've come across several Akido guys whose school does extensive groundfighting. Now you're generalizing. Next thing you know you're going to say that Aikido doesn't do any kicks or strikes.

Here's a shoe horn take that foot out of your mouth.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 11:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote>quote:
    No, seriously, you need to shut up. You're starting to look dumber than the idiot that you are.

I've come across several Akido guys whose school does extensive groundfighting. Now you're generalizing. Next thing you know you're going to say that Aikido doesn't do any kicks or strikes.

Here's a shoe horn take that foot out of your mouth.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote>

Well that may be true that some Aikido schools train in groundfighting but they are crosstraining not doing Aikido. The only thing that resembles groundfighting in Aikido is suwariwaza which is performing techniques from your knees, this is only a practice exercise to build strength in your lower body, not an effective way to fight on the ground. It is held over from feudal Japan when samurai would walk around their houses on their knees so they developed a way to do techniques from that position.

Hope you still have that shoe horn!!!

***ned

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 12:17pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well that may be true that some Aikido schools train in groundfighting but they are crosstraining not doing Aikido.
    Heh. Why don't you go and tell them they're not doing Aikido?

~
    danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd

***ned

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 12:18pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I crosstrain in several arts just like many here do, I think all martial arts have weaknesses and on their own would probably get defeated in UFC type events. Aikido has many effective techniques and great movements that can set up all kinds of attacks but as I said it has no groundfighting of note so it can not compete on its own with trained grapplers, it is a standup art.

Pure boxing also would have no chance in MMA, but that does not mean it is not an effecive self defense style especially if combined with other martial arts. I would say the same about pure wrestling as well because you have to crosstrain with that as well to effective in MMA.
    Then why not just train MMA style? =T.

~
    danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 1:13pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hope you still have that shoe horn!!!
    Sure do, you tell me when you want it and I'll give it to you. I would suggest soon you look sort of funny with your leg up like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 2:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wondering, what style of CMA did you practise for 15years previously?

There are certain styles which require far longer than 15years of practice before you become proficient enough to use it (GouSou Zhang anybody?) so it's quite possible that you really did have a hard time taking on the Aikido fella.

On the otherhand, 15 years of something like GuSu Hao Wushu (not contemporary Wushu!) would certainly give you the skills to land some hits. From what i've seen in various sparring matches, Aikido doesn't seem to be able to counter effectively some of Wushu's more crazy DiTang (groundfighting) moves.

Could you give us a more detailed account of what happened? No worries if you don't remember.

Oh and guys, really sorry for the delay on that Monk versus WT guy info, i still haven't got hold of Yan Li...um...soon...promise!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 3:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then why not just train MMA style
    I am not sure what MMA style is, there are many of them right?

Sure do, you tell me when you want it and I'll give it to you. I would suggest soon you look sort of funny with your leg up like that.
    hehe

If your style requires more than 2 years to become skilled, then you need a new style.
    Why is that? I take Aikido for many reasons not only for self defense. If it takes me 5 years to be skilled that is fine because I still have Judo.

But I like BJJ and I might take it at some point to help improve my ground skills. However, Judo has the same techniques so I am not sure it is necessary.

Folks my goal is not to be able to take Tank Abbot, Frank Shamrock, or Rickson Gracie in an NHB match. I take martial arts for self defense, good exercise, and because I think it is alot of fun. The chances that I get attacked on the street by someone proficient in BJJ, Muai Thai, and combat sambo is pretty slim. However, the chances are probably much higher nor that I am posting on this forum :)

Edited by - mneal on July 12 2003 15:35:41
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast