Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Marasmos

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Percisely. The fact of the matter is that either this guy is some sort of an imbecile, or he is lying to us either about his training or about the encouner he had with the aikidoka. In any case, that does not speak too highly of him.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 5:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amp, in the Aikido I've seen, they literally caught the punch in flight and did some ****.

As for deflecting a punch into a lock. Well, IMO, they can deflect the punch, sure. But my hand isnt going to be there long enough for them to do anything with it. A good punch retracts as fast or faster than it went out.

But WTF do I know??

Any good sites to see video of Aikido demos?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 9:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've taken an extremely defensive stance...for what? No one was bashing aikido. All we were saying is that we found it highly unlikely that someone who has practiced an external Chinese MA for 15 years could not even hit a 6th dan aikidoka
    A 6th Dan in Aikido has probably been practicing for at least 35 years and probably has other martial arts experience along with that. What is so hard to believe that someone who has been practicing martial arts for half as long (15 years) would have a lot of difficulty. Do you think these Aikido teachers never get tested? this stuff happens all the time.

My current instructer was a nidan in uechi-ryu when he tried out Aikido and he tried to strike his teacher (Mitsugi Saotome) as hard as he could several times and wound up getting tossed around. He said he was very sceptical of it and was not very fond of the skirts they wear but after this incident he decided to dedicate himself to Aikido.

Maybe Aikido is not the right martial art for some people here, that is fine, I will also readily admit it is not suitable for MMA competition and has its weakenesses but it works, has worked, and will work, if you train the right way, in self defense situations. To claim otherwise simply is contrary to the facts.

If you do not like Aikido, think it is not right for you, don't like the funny looking skirts, or don't think it is not a practical self defense style for your needs then that is fine but to disregard the entire art and its practioners claiming it does not work is just not right.

If you want to question the fact that many basket weavers have made Aikido their home and are doing much to water down the art then I will agree with you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 9:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as the grabbing punches goes, on some techniques you follow the retracting punch back in then grab for your technique using this momentum and droppping your weight at the same time to pull them off balance so you can throw them.

This is much different than trying to grab a punch out of the air, although I guess some of the basket weaver types do it this way but it is technicaly incorrect.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 9:43pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "To claim otherwise simply is contrary to the facts"

What facts? Something your instructor said about his instructor?

C'Mon, man, you undersstand how silly you sound right now, right? Right? I never cease to be amazed at the extent of how brainwashed some people are. Do YOU want to prove the effectiveness of Aikido? Come to one of the Bullshido gatherings, spar with the people there, and let the facts stand for themselves. Something is telling me, though, that this will never happen.

Also, I am not discounting Aikido as an art. The fact of the matter is, though, that someone who was studying a martial art (ANY MARTIAL ART) for 15 years will, on average, be able to dominate someone who has been studying it for 35, provided they started around the same age, simply because the age would factor in. Old men in funny robes tossing around young and fit fighters is something that happens in the movies, but not in real life.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 9:43pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you guys dont have a clue.

one word.

metsubushi.

peace.

<marquee>REDANTKUNTAO</marquee>
    <marquee> INDONESIAN GUNG FU</marquee>

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 10:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do YOU want to prove the effectiveness of Aikido? Come to one of the Bullshido gatherings, spar with the people there, and let the facts stand for themselves. Something is telling me, though, that this will never happen.
    You're damned right it won't happen for several reasons.

1) I am hardly a worthy specimen of the art of Aikido having only trained in it for less than 2 years.

2) I think Aikido is suited for self defense situations where the fights are wild and attacks are not well measured, not against trained MMA. There is no groundfighting in Aikido and I am pretty sure most pure Aikido artists would get owned in this situation.

The same would be true for a pure boxer, but that does not mean boxing or Aikido are not a suitable self defense styles.

NHB matches can show alot about how fighting really works but it is not the only measure of something effectiveness.

The two styles that I see get bashed here the most are TKD and Aikido and it is pretty funny that I have used both successfully to defend myself. Now according to some here this would be impossible because in order for something to work it must have been used to defeat someone in the UFC.

I crosstrain in Judo as well because I am not ignorant of Aikido's shortcoming but I certainly don't rule it out as an effective means of self defense against most people, and self defense and UFC are two different things.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 10:11pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So basically Mike your taking out your ass. You got defensive because you take the art so you're coming to the defense of something that you only have rudimentary understanding of. Great.

Now STFU.

All you're showing is the insecurity you are feeling on an art that's hard to fully showcase properly.

Grow up and get with the discussion.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 12:35am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    neal, dude, you have to chill out. if you get so pissed reading bullshido posts, why do you come here in the first place?

lots of cops practice aikido. so do a lot of fruitcakes. so as in most cases (and i know it has been said a million times on this forum), it's the person, the teacher, and the situation, not the art.

i think the real question is what kind of "external MA" wu chi was practicing. do you retract your punches? if it's straight up old school karate reverse punches, it's not hard to see why you would get owned! also, how's your hand speed?

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 3:39am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell, after 15 years of training, the aikidoka should've exploded on contact.

~
    danny

Deus is correct. The topic is irrelevant anyways.

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    http://www.fightauthority.com/

" I'm pretty good when the gi tops come off." Posted by Crimson Tiger
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast