Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 10:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to be the best at full-contact stand-up fighting as I can be, mostly because I think that ground-fighting is limited in real-world situations.

But, I confess, a ground fighter can knacker my arse if he takes me to the ground. How can I keep him from doing so?

Fighting Spirit is 90% of the battle. If you don't have it, you ain't **** -- regardless of what style you practice.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By training grappling.

The only way you can keep standing reliably, is if you learn how to wrestle.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 11:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which style, then, has the most comprehensive array of takedown techniques? BJJ, Judo, Wrestling? I've only got so much time for training, and I'd like to make the most of it.

Fighting Spirit is 90% of the battle. If you don't have it, you ain't **** -- regardless of what style you practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 11:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo's got some great takedowns. Arguably the best groud game as well.

Simps

game dog

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I've seen so far, takedowns in BJJ are underdeveloped compared to other arts (which is fine, since BJJ focusses on groundfighting, and as you say, there is only so much time for training).

Judo is a very good choice if you assume you'll be fighting someone with robust clothes. Also, the mindset in judo may be different from BJJ - more like "dammit, you will not throw me" rather than "it's okay to go to the ground, but on my terms".

I haven't done wrestling, but as far as I can tell, it is very good for no-gi fighting.

And no, I will not bite the "best ground game" bait ;-)
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 1:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrestling and Judo

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys do realize that judo has a REALLY great variety of non-gi type throws? Arm throws, leg take-downs, neck and head throws. Even the basic hip throw doesn't actually use the gi. It uses the hip and the arm.

In fact, I never use the gi. I usually lose in my competitions and matches in the dojo, but I'm pretty good when the gi tops come off.

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Good is the enemy of Great" - T-shirt seen on Queen Street, Toronto
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

game dog

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. However, if you train with the gi all the time, and suddenly you don't have it, you're out of your element. (That's what it was like for me when I recently went to my first submission grappling tournament, with very little preparation. I was like, okay, now where do I pull to get the kuzushi?)
    Grabbing, pulling and off-balancing with and without the gi are two different games. Thus, while the hip throw itself does not require the gi, you may not get to the position to pull it off in the first place.

As for leg takedowns, I haven't seen them practiced a lot in judo. They exist, but...
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 2:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I study eskrima and we have great grappling techniques and as well as throws and defense agains other graplers. If you find a good eskrima or arnis fighter, ask for techniques.

Ground fighting is just using your fighting technique in the ground, that means, from other perspective. Just practice your moves being in the ground while someone helps you kicking your ass from above. It really helps.

There's no secret to ground fighting, just get really close and play dirty (go for the crotch, the knees, the BALLZ!) and try to stand up fast.
  10. 9chambers

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 4:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo and Jiu Juitsu have cool takedowns and throws but if you are going to learn how to avoid being thrown then take wrestling. The stance alone negates half the throws in Judo. Also, if you are a student in high school it is free. If you are in college there is most likely a cheap wrestling club .. or you can be on the team. Sit the bench if you don't make the team, learn the moves. It is pretty inexpensive. There are also camps sometimes during the summer and there are a few good books on the fundamentals out there.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast