Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 10:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys, just joking with the subject line. I'm new here. I've been practicing Yang Taijiquan for about 6 years. I've been in two altercations, which were fairly minor. In both, my rooting and balance gave me a clear advantage against the non-martial-artists I fought. Big whoop, I know.

But still, I think that if there ever was a time that Tai Chi was NOT worthless for serious combat, that time is long gone. I do not know of a single modern-day Tai Chi practitioner that could do squat in a no-holds barred competition -- or even a stand-up only competition like the Sabaki Challenge, which I would someday like to participate in.

I am getting rid of the flaky postures and adapting tai chi principles to realistic attacks.

I've started trying to modify my Tai Chi for realistic stand-up fighting. Does ANYONE know of ANY video footage of Tai Chi fighters in REAL fights? I can't find any.

I can't seem to pull up the one on bullshido.com, "50 year old tai-chi master vs. 30 year old white crane stylist."

Any discussion on this would be appreciated. I'm open to criticism of Tai Chi and helpful pointers. I've cross-trained in several other styles, most of which are worthless by themselves.

Sinc,
    Tom

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 10:51am

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Kungfoolss nice try.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 10:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is not kungfools. i'm serious.

Fighting Spirit is 90% of the battle. If you don't have it, you ain't **** -- regardless of what style you practice.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 10:56am

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I would suggest, and it may seem like it's not what you're looking for, picking up some real MMA training. From what I understand, Tai Chi teaches you some things that can be applied to real fight training to give you an advantage. Don't limit yourself by trying to mold what you already know into a system. Rather, learn and actualt fighting system, and apply what you know to excelling in it.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 11:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the taiji vs white crane clip is crap. neither of those fighters is doing anything resembling their alleged systems.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 11:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. I'd wondered what the clip was like. I'll quit worrying about it.

Fighting Spirit is 90% of the battle. If you don't have it, you ain't **** -- regardless of what style you practice.

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 11:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thomas Aaron, why did you stay with TC for 6 years if you're not happy with it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 11:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol, because I'm guessing that if he didn't people would say "oh you didn't stay with it for long enough to discover the real taiji" ;-)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 11:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't get me wrong, I've gotten a lot from Tai Chi. A lot of positive things. I just said that it wasn't worth crap for NHB fighting or serious combat. I've gained a lot of skills that might mesh well with realistic combat training. But Tai Chi itself isn't that realistic. Dig?

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 3:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just don't understand why everyone here has to apply everything to NHB/UFC. The person that tries to rob or jump you most likely will NOT be a UFC grappler. If you are a decent MA at all, you should have a huge advantage over the average Joe-Bum-**** who tries to bitch you out. Whateva!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast