Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 1:52am

supporting member
     Style: Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perth, Australia.

Lots of small schools around and only a few major ones. A breakdown of disctinct styles is pretty useless since most schools claim to teach a mixture of arts. Kung Fu and MMA seems to be the smallest group though (only 2 major MMA schools and 3 major Kung Fu schools).

At a completely uninformed guess, about 1-3% of the population does some martial art. Other people do fitness kickboxing and similar stuff, but martial arts don't seem to be a big thing here.

Edited by - Halogen on July 15 2003 02:00:48

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 4:09am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *What part of the country do you live in?
    West Coast of Canada

*What's the distribution of MA schools in your area, with a rough percentage of the arts represented?

TKD/Karate -- 70%
    Kung Fu (various)/vague "Chinese" systems -- 20%
    MMA (JKD, BJJ, Kick Boxing, Muay Thai, Boxing Hybrids) -- 6%
    Other (Fencing, Philipino, Capoeria and such) -- 4%

*Are there any unique/uncommon martial arts offered in your area besides the normal TKD/Karate/etc, including MMA/NHB fight teams?

Capoeria, BJJ, a Dog Brother's in town

*If you had to guess (unless you know for some reason) what percentage of people in the general community in your area are active participants in the martial arts?

Tiny. Maybe 5% or less.

"Oh ****, it was the other Osiris, The Wastrel." -- patfromlogan
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Fancy a milkshake?

Posted On:
    7/15/2003 7:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sydney , Australia

Almost anything under the sun you can find here lots of tkd , karate , judo and kung fu . BJJ , Kendo , JJ , tai chi , the mma and nhb are lot quiter than other schools in terms of their advetisement .

Not too sure about anything out the ordinary .

No idea in big city like this .

Edited by - Darting Fingers on July 16 2003 01:18:44
    "Pussyhole"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 8:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bloomfield, NJ about 10 minutes from NYC so there are a lot of systems. In my Town there is TKD Hapkido, Kung Fu

Most unique would be Zujitsu, My Dojo..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 8:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bloomfield, NJ about 10 minutes from NYC so there are a lot of systems. In my Town there is TKD Hapkido, Kung Fu

Most unique would be Zujitsu, My Dojo..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 9:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Denver, Colorado.
    We have everything except (as far as I know, and if someone would correct me I would appreciate it)an accredited JKD school, although Dan Inosanto apparently supported a Pencak Silat school here.
    (?)

I train at a TKD school that is wide open as to what anyone can bring in. We do traditional TKD, but we have had seminars in BJJ, HanMuDO (which combines TKD wiht Hapkido and Judo (Yudo?). I have also done a little Kendo. I did Judo at 12, boxing in High School, Akido for a year after active duty,Okinawan GoJu, then 13 years after moving to Denver found these TKD instructors who don't care what they teach. It's a mix of Olympic (which they are very succesful at, nationally and internationally, honest, I kid you not...)Traditional (yes we do forms, but they are mostly for the exercise and the rank testing, not much is purported to be used for actual combat) and self-defense (my favorite) where we get close, punch, palm heel, elbow low kick, joint lock, go to ground, stomp and getout. I have brought in Mark Shuey's walking cane as a practical weapon.

I have little idea what percentage of the population trains, there are just too many schools around. Steven Oliver and ATA are prevalent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 9:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in NY, will soon be going to college. I enjoy Muay Thai more then anything else, but am training in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. I will soon be studying Muay Thai (finally found someone to train with me!). Not many schools around my immediate area, one for TKD and on for jiu-jitsu... travel an hour and another TKD and ji-jitsu school, but travel an hour and a half and you are in Danbury, CT, many schools there.

Dark Days, Bright Nights

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 10:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seattle--

One can easily find tons of TKD and Aikido. The main mcdojos/cults are represented here really well, such as Temple Kung Fu and Oom Yung Doe, several schools of each. There are a few BJJ schools, most notably Machado and Gracie. Lots of Karate, JKA, Shotokan, Goju, Isshin. Some Kung Fu: Hung Gar, Choy Li Fut, Wing Chun, & "Shaolin" styles. 2 well respected Judo clubs (as well as university clubs). A few Muay Thai schools. Some American style kickboxing. A peculiar offshoot of Wing Chun promoted by local former students of Bruce Lee called Wing Chun Do, which I give a thumbs down. Iado, Kenjutsu, and Kendo are easy to find. JKD, a few schools. And if you know the right people, ask, and look around you could find Systema, GOOD internal CMA (Hsing Yi, Bagua, Tai Chi with serious practitioners) Aikijujutsu, & esoteric Jujutsu styles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 11:27am

Style: japanese jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seattle--

One can easily find tons of TKD and Aikido. The main mcdojos/cults are represented here really well, such as Temple Kung Fu and Oom Yung Doe, several schools of each. There are a few BJJ schools, most notably Machado and Gracie. Lots of Karate, JKA, Shotokan, Goju, Isshin. Some Kung Fu: Hung Gar, Choy Li Fut, Wing Chun, & "Shaolin" styles. 2 well respected Judo clubs (as well as university clubs). A few Muay Thai schools. Some American style kickboxing. A peculiar offshoot of Wing Chun promoted by local former students of Bruce Lee called Wing Chun Do, which I give a thumbs down. Iado, Kenjutsu, and Kendo are easy to find. JKD, a few schools. And if you know the right people, ask, and look around you could find Systema, GOOD internal CMA (Hsing Yi, Bagua, Tai Chi with serious practitioners) Aikijujutsu, & esoteric Jujutsu styles.
    Elaborating:

Additional CMA I've heard decent things about:
    1) mizong quan
    2) changquan tanglang
    3) modern wushu

Mustika Kwitang silat
    cabales serrada escrima
    ROSS
    jo-do and naginata-do
    shito ryu karate
    enshin karate (since the guy broke off it has a new name)

Beyond Oom Young Doe and Temple KF, there are other places to avoid, PM me for details.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 8:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    We have 18 TKD schools(including a raquetball/TKD school), 12 generic karate schools, a few schools that teach aikido, tai chi, etc., and a few couple of MMA schools.
    Not too many people doing martial arts here I don't think.
    I'm joining a MMA school soon that has Boxing, Kali, JKD, Panantukan, Maphilindo Silat, Muay Thai, Vale Tudo, CSW, BJJ, Bahala Na, and Sayoc Kali. It seems like the best school around.
    As far as unique/uncommon MA's you can pick a couple from the list. Most of them are uncommon around here.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast