• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2015 7:30am

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Richard Hackworth & Bohdi Sanders Join Forces to smear Alain Burrese

This is an article written by none other than Richard Hackworth. I believe it was actually written by, or at least in collaboration with Bohdi Sanders and is part of Hackworth’s (and Bohdi Sanders’) current attempt to smear the reputation of Alain Burrese (who Bohdi Sanders believes masterminded this thread: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=123909 which tore apart Sanders’ fabricated history and personae).

Take a look…tell what you think…try to actually verify these statements about Alain Burrese (i.e. investigate him just like you would anyone else to see if any of this is actually true)…here’s the link that is being circulated:

https://freemartialartsarticles.word...y-part-1-of-6/

Oh…and my apologies…the horrible writing is Hackworth’s, not mine…and note that, like Bohdi’s credentials page, the content of this article is subject to change at a moment’s notice.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Paperback Bad Ass – The Alain Burrese Story Part 1 of 6

Posted on May 1, 2015

By Richard Hackworth

In a galaxy far, far away there was a legendary self-defense expert (a legend in his own mind) Attorney Alain Burrese. Upon investigation you will find that this “internationally known self-defense instructor” as Burrese likes to describe himself has a very unique (questionable) background.

According to Master Attorney Alain Burrese he has training in:
    • Taekwondo
    • Karate
    • Boxing
    • Qigong
    • Hapkido

His self-awarded titles include:
    • Master (of what? His videos show he lacks understanding of even the basic principles)
    • Self-Defense Expert (who has never defended himself or anyone else)
    • Author (self-publish by a company that he owns: Aiki Productions)
    • Qigong Expert (what?)

I find it interesting that this “World Renowned Expert” doesn’t own a school but teaches a handful of students at a gym in Montana. His YouTube channel is a source of great entertainment. He produces the most unintentionally funny videos on martial arts secrets and topics such as:

• How to carry your purse
    • Drink Water
    • Watch out for sharks and jellyfish on the beach

Hapkido Master Alain BurreseHis claim to be a 5th Dan in Hapkido is completely laughable. In an article written by Burrese he trained under the following list of completely obscure and unknown legends. (If you are going to drop names in your articles they should at least be people someone may have heard of.)

According to Attorney Alain “The Paperback Badass” he says:“I refer to instructors in the plural because I originally studied in Kwanjangnim Kim Young Jong’s school, and Lee Jun Kyu was his Saboem. Kim Hyun was one of the top students there as well. Now, Lee Jun Kyu has his own school, and Kim Hyun has his own school too. So I train at the different places. However, Lee Jun Kyu is my primary instructor. (Kim Young Jong is not teaching HKD right now, he is busy with his chiropractic practice and teaches Ki Gong classes which I used to study under him as well. first 2 dan levels were under the Korea Hapkido Federation. My 3rd dan was from a different organization. My 4th dan will be different too.” Attorney Alain Burrese wrote this!!!

Sounds like a pretty scattered career. Why do all of his “Dans” seem to be from different federations? Probably because of price shopping. It is pretty easy to fly to Korea and buy a black belt. If you can’t earn it, buy it. If you can’t find a Korean to sell you a rank you can always fly your own Korean back to Korea to make the presentation so that you can claim to have been promoted in Korea by a real live Korean. This is a very popular trend. (Rolling eyes now). The only documentable evidence that Burrese’s instructor even exists are in articles written by…. Wait for it…. Wait for it… ATTORNEY ALAIN BURRESE. His next belt, for the right price, may even be a platinum Belt. LOL!

Martial artist flying to Korea to buy their ranks is getting out of control. Highly respected martial arts Grand Master and influential leader in the martial arts community Hud Huddleston has even opened an investigation into Korean martial arts fraud.

He says:
    “United States National Grand Masters Federation have just found a major fraud within the Korean systems in United States and have put on an extensive investigation towards this organization and persons within the Korean martial arts system we have caught lying and creating a con with made up history and stealing information and background of history of other martial arts systems and recognized founders using that background within their bullshit lies…They will be dealt with, with a major fraud investigation and handed over to the proper government agencies. They created a major false identity and history within the martial arts world and public. They continue to make it up as they go and the public is so blind to the bullshit lies and con. The U.S. Criminal Investigation Services has come on board to help with this one with no mercy on this. This organization is a total disgrace to all Korean systems and all other martial arts systems. We will do everything in our power to take you down with NO mercy, you’re a total disgrace and dishonoring the Korean people and martial arts history.”

Self-Proclaimed Self-Defense Expert Attorney Alain Burrese claims to have received his first 2 black belts from the Korea Hapkido Federation and right on this federation’s website it says that they will issue a Dan certificate by nothing more than seeing a copy of another Dan certificate… “1st-3rd Dan – Submitting copies of Dan certificates and detailed history is usually sufficient.” And as we can clearly see Author Attorney Alain Burrese is certainly good at making up a detailed history.

In an attempt to save money Burrese began shopping around for a new rank to buy with other organizations. But when Burrese claimed to be a martial arts master and a self-defense expert after only 5 years in the martial arts his promotion was refused and he was reprimanded for calling himself a master and an expert after only 5 years of training. In an attempt to cover his tracks, Burrese along with several other lowly skilled self-proclaimed Masters tried to start a smear campaign against some of the people at the federation. The individuals that he was trying to slander made a complaint to the Montana Bar Association because of his unethical behavior.

His abilities as a lawyer are probably just as weak as his martial arts since he even lost his job as a small time lawyer. A reliable source in Korea said “Burrese then went to Korea and found someone who would sell him a 3rd Dan. He has since made a couple of other trips to Korea and apparently buys a new rank there with ease.” Does this story sound familiar? I guess when you have lawyer’s income you can afford to buy as many martial arts ranks and you want. And you can afford to fly all over the world to get them. Soon, very soon, Attorney AAttorney Master Alain Burreselain Burrese will understand that abusing his position as an officer of the court can carry jail time where his weak self-defense skills would leave him the recipient of some very stiff penalties.

Like and share this article with your friends. Part 2 coming soon!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2015 7:51am

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hackworth Article Rebuttal

Okay...sorry...but this is pretty long...

Before delving into the “article” it is important to note that it is written by none other than “Grand Master” Richard Hackworth…or was it? Actually, based on the writing style and structure – which is remarkably similar to a piece I posted on the Bullshido web site about Bohdi Sanders, among others – I’m convinced it was really authored by Bohdi Sanders and then posted under Hackworth’s byline due to his greater perceived “notoriety.”

Anyway…

Hackworth is a well known fraud and self-promoter in the martial arts community, known for making wild claims about himself and whose credibility in legitimate circles is nil. Here is his martial arts bio from his own web site:

“When speaking to Grand Master Richard Hackworth you will find that he is the hands down expert on the history of Hapkido. As well he should be, because no one has done more to unselfishly promote the military art of Hapkido in our lifetime.

Most of the Hapkido schools in the USA were being run by former G.I.'s who studied Hapkido for only 1 year during their military tour of Korea. Many of whom either bought high ranks from Koreans here in the USA or just promoted themselves through their own organization. Richard Hackworth decided that if Hapkido was going to truly grow we need to raise the standards outside of Korea by providing Master level training, something that had never been done outside of Korea before. So, he began inviting officials from the Hapkido headquarters in Korea to teach instructor and masters courses in the USA. Many instructors thankfully took advantage of this and learned skills formerly unavailable to them. Usually you could find instructors and masters from nearly a dozen countries at each of the events that he hosted. However, many of the self-promoter "Masters" of Hapkido in the USA would not attend out of fear of being exposed.

Grand Master Hackworth stated that,"It was never my intention to "expose" anyone. Only to educate." And Educate he did. Not only by hosting events but by traveling the world to teach Hapkido. Grand Master Hackworth has conducted seminars in 31 different countries in the last 11 years with no sign of slowing down. He will be returning to Colombia, Ecuador, England, Australia, and Russia in 2008 alone.

Some of Grand Master Hackworth's many accomplishments include:

• Host of the "Martial Arts News & Entertainment" Radio Show
    • Star of the "Martial Arts Success" Radio Show
    • Star of the "Turning Up The Heat!" Television Show
    • Featured performer on the "Never Die" TV Show on Skylife Network
    • Featured on TV and Magazines World-Wide
    • President of the Society of Bachelor Millionaires
    • Internationally Certified Korean and Japanese Linguist
    • PhD in Asian Studies & Oriental Medicine
    • Editor for "World Martial Arts Magazine"
    • Founder of HaeMuKwan Hapkido
    • President of the US National Taekwondo Association
    • 8th Dan Korean Hapkido Federation 2002
    • 8th Dan Korea Chungdokwan Taekwondo Association 2000
    • 8th Dan Korea Yusool Association 2007
    • 8th Dan World Sword Arts Federation 2005
    • 6th Dan Korea TangSooDo MooDukKwan Society 1997

Few can claim that they dedicate each day to learning, teaching and promoting martial arts, or that they were handpicked by Korea's highest Masters to be America's first Grand Master. However, that is exactly what Grand Master Richard Hackworth has done. His enthusiasm, charisma and ability to communicate with people of all ages have made him America's most sought after seminar celebrity. Grand Master Richard Hackworth has won international acclaim as an author and martial artist.

Grand Master Richard Hackworth's achievements have been featured in over 1,000 magazine articles worldwide. Traveling the globe, Grand Master Richard Hackworth delivers amazing technical seminars with humor to audiences of all sizes. With an artful way of teaching that is entertaining and motivational, he is known for his ability to impart a vision and clarify a purpose. Combining his thorough research, motivational strategies, humor, wisdom and international perspective, he inspires audiences of students and masters alike.

Everyone Enjoys His Unassuming Approach To Sharing His Wealth Of Knowledge.”

Holy crap…when this guy cuts a fart, Superman must fly out of his butt…

Actually, Hackworth is probably best known for two things: (1) getting caught selling fake Korea Taekwondo Association (KTA who don’t even issue dan certificates, at least not since around 1980, in the first place) taekwondo dan certificates, and (2) being stripped of rank and thrown out of the Korean Hapkido Federation as a result of the fake dan certificate scandal, which is notable because contrary to what people may think or assume, large, legitimate martial arts governing bodies like the KHF (which, coincidentally, is also the source of Burrese’s first and second dans) almost never strip rank. It takes a HUGE public scandal (it’s even MORE interesting to note that his transgression was so egregious that he was kicked out of a HAPKIDO group for faking TAEKWONDO certificates) to evoke that sort of reaction. Big groups like KHF simply have better things to do, and Hackworth’s fall from grace with the HKF and legitimate martial arts circles was pretty spectacular, is well documented, and is easy to verify.

Hackworth simply has no credibility as a martial artist whatsoever, but this IS the internet and people aren’t very smart or well-informed about these things, so...

There was a time when Hackworth could claim legitimate rank in Hapkido (he was a 6th dan when he was thrown out of the KHF), however, since that time the legitimacy of his claimed rank and “grand mastery” is questionable at best and it appears that, like others of his ilk, most If not all of the ranking bodies Hackworth lists in his bio – that can still be found online – were “founded by” or are subsidiaries or affiliates of…wait for it…Richard Hackworth and his many “companies” (that’s called “self-promotion,” folks). A quick Google search reveals the extent to which he makes hyperbolic claims about himself in an effort to market the myriad “services” he sells on his literally dozens of web sites and from his single-wide trailer in Florida, and it’s a sad commentary on people in general that anyone actually believes this guy is for real. Hackworth himself is guilty of every “transgression” listed in his article that he levels at Burrese, which is easy to verify. It speaks to Hackworth’s incredible narcissism that he believes anyone will take this article and claims seriously.

It is also important to note that Hackworth and Burrese, years ago, after communicating online on the MA boards for a time, had some sort of disagreement or falling out (which pretty much ended when Hackworth essentially called Burrese’s Korean wife a whore). I’m not privy to ALL the details (though some of it still lingers on the MA boards), but it – and one additional note – suggests that this “article” is nothing more than a sad and ineptly written and researched attempt to smear Mr. Burrese out of spite. The additional note is that it in known that Hackworth is now associated with none other than “Doctor” Bohdi Sanders. Sanders has been the subject of a Bullshido.net investigation into his legitimacy that revealed false credentials and awards and other fakery on a colossal scale. Sanders has claimed that Burrese is the source of the original article that called his background into question (though it is known that he was not), so, given that Hackworth and Sanders are now in bed together and clearly cut from the same cloth, their new found relationship and the appearance of this “article” suggest the two of them cooked this up together in an attempt to “get even” with Burrese for having slighted them in some way.

Moving on…

Regarding Burrese’s martial arts and professional background, it is notable that unlike Hackworth and Sanders, Burrese makes no wild or unverifiable claims. Simply go to Burrese’s web sites and check for yourself. Delving into Burrese’s background even a little will quickly verify his modesty and honesty regarding his background. Here are links to his web sites:

http://burrese.com/
    http://yourwarriorsedge.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/alain.burrese
    https://www.facebook.com/YourWarriorsEdge
    http://www.aikiproductions.com/
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/alainburrese
    …or go to YouTube and enter “Alain Burrese.”

Unlike Hackworth (and Sanders), Burrese has never claimed “mastery” in anything, including Hapkido (in which he is a 5th Dan and is entitled to use the title, but doesn’t) and he goes to pains not to over-state his credentials (unlike Hackworth and Sanders, who not only make unrealistic claims about themselves and even go as far as to create paper/internet ranking bodies to promote themselves to ever-higher, unearned, self-awarded ranks). In his online bios, Burrese is consistent while stating that he has trained in Taekwondo, Karate, Boxing, Qigong, and Hapkido – as well as Judo, which Hackworth (Sanders) overlooks – but I’ve read his bios on all his sites and I simply don’t see anything “wonky” or a lot of ego. It looks like what it is: a guy from a small town in Montana who dabbled in some things for a while and then went to Korea while in the Army where he fell in love with Korea and Hapkido.

End of story.

Hackworth (Sanders) states that Burrese claims a plethora of self-awarded titles, but I defy anyone to find a single instance of this on Burrese’s web sites. This is an outright fabrication on Hackworth’s (Sanders’) part. Burrese does conduct and present himself as an authority on Hapkido, self-defense, security, and conflict resolution, and does reference himself as a self-defense “expert” on his site (which is appropriate given his documented and verifiable experience and expertise), but nowhere does he claim to be a “master” of Taekwondo, Karate, Judo, Boxing, Qigong, or even Hapkido (where he actually has the rank and experience to do so). Read the bios and do a little research on your own…apparently Hackworth (Sanders) didn’t bother. Better yet, pull up this info and then compare Burese’s bio to Hackworth’s (Sanders’). Burrese seems (to me) to actively resist getting involved in all the fortune cookie bullshit that is so prevalent in martial arts, instead relying on actual work and accomplishments while people like Hackworth (Sanders) spend their days building internet shrines to themselves and fabricating titles and ranks.

I promise you more than a chuckle at the comparison.

Hackworth (Sanders) takes a stab at Burrese’s status as a self-defense expert while claiming Burrese has never defended himself or anyone else, but that is so easy to refute and Burrese’s work and history here are so easy to verify (starting with his military career and background as an Army sniper) that I’m not going to bother.

Regarding Burrese’s writing career, I’ll point out that while he does self-publish now (like many people in the field – note that Sanders’ publisher, Kaizen Quest, is owned by none other than Bohdi Sanders, and Hackworth’s “bibliography” – he claims to have written over 100 books – is published by Hackworth’s own spider web of companies and web sites, such as World Martial Arts Media), Burrese started out writing for Black Belt Magazine and being published by one of the leading martial arts publishers, Paladin Press, who released his first book and videos. Regarding Aiki Productions, Burrese is a partner (he is not the sole owner) and Aiki’s output, in terms of quality, is light years beyond any of the home made crap produced by Hackworth (or Sanders). All of Burrese’s “products” (books, blogs, and videos) are polished and professionally produced…and often plagiarized by others (including Sanders). Simply go to Bohdi Sanders’ sites for examples if you don’t believe me.

This also begs for more comparative examples. Hackworth takes aim at Burrese’s martial arts skills, but a quick view of some of Burrese’s video clips says all that needs to be said, especially if you compare them to similar videos produced by Hackworth. Just for fun, compare the following:

Hackworth on the Hapkido cane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za25rb8wUX4

Burrese on the Hapkido cane (from the old Paladin series, Burrese has a number of others on YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRD9_Jc2OOY

So, whose skills are the joke here?

Oh…and note that Hackworth is claiming to be affiliated with KHF and claiming a fancy title to boot, apparently to impress…someone…

It’s also curious to note that many of Burrese’s YouTube videos also feature many of the current notable self-defense experts (Peyton Quinn, Marc MacYoung, Geoff Booth, Rich Nance, and others) dispensing advice and actually demonstrating techniques (also known as “getting on the mat,” something that both Hackworth and Sanders are widely known to avoid at all costs), not just sitting down to the feed trough or sitting for a group photo like Hackworth. I challenge you to find anything similar involving Hackworth (Sanders), whose ego would never allow him to share the stage with anyone else, if he could actually attract anyone of similar ability or reputation.

Hackworth takes a shot at Burrese’s “safety tip” videos, but he completely missed the video on zombie awareness (seriously). Apparently, having a sense of humor or doing anything light, or covering non-martial arts-related, general safety topics, is inappropriate in Hackworth’s eyes. It’s good we have him around to keep us on the “true path.”

While Burrese doesn’t own a commercial school, he has been teaching since the late nineties upon returning to the US to attend law school. He taught in conjunction with the University of Montana’s martial arts program before starting a Hapkido program at a friend’s Taekwondo academy in 1999, and then moved his club to the local Gold’s Gym in 2000 or 2001 (I believe) where he has been ever since. The size of his club has fluctuated from a handful to as many as twenty students owing to the fact that he’s never been willing to water down the content or dumb it down to attract children. Everyone knows that Hapkido – especially real Hapkido – can be a tough sell (which is why many, if not most, commercial Hapkido schools offer Taekwondo for children as a way of generating revenue). The important thing here is that Burrese has been in one place, teaching week after week, for fifteen years. That displays a lot of consistency and perseverance, and having a big commercial school simply isn’t the be all and end all of martial arts for everyone.

Hackworth’s (Sanders’) comment regarding name-dropping is very telling. If Hackworth is a grand master of anything, it’s name-dropping and getting mucky-mucks to stand still long enough to take a picture with him. Koreans love to take group photos and hand each other awards and proclamations, but getting one to stand or sit for one isn’t the same as an actual endorsement (though Hackworth and his ilk, who collect these things like trading cards, are banking on the idea that the general public can be fooled into thinking that they are).

Hackworth goes on to criticize the fact that Burrese’s instructor(s) aren’t “big names.” So what? Who taught Hackworth in Korea? Does anyone actually know? The fact is, hardly anyone actually learns martial arts from a “big name,” in spite of the claims made by “grand masters” like Hackworth to various lineages and founders (Hackworth struggles mightily to create the impression – unsuccessfully – that he was taught by instructors with direct links to famous pioneers in his own bio…does ANYONE know who his actual instructors were?). This is a marketing trick, their bread and butter, so to speak, aimed at ignorant people (clients), and a way for people like Hackworth to feed their own egos. If the founders of the major styles had as many students as those who claim them as their teachers, they would all be billionaires. Burrese is demonstrating humility by attributing his knowledge to his actual teachers rather than claiming connections to big names. It is interesting to note that the “quote” Hackworth uses is actually a completely rewritten version – rewritten by Hackworth (Sanders) – of what Burrese actually says in his bio:

Hackworth’s (Sanders’) version:

“According to Alain ‘The Paperback Badass’ he says: ‘I refer to instructors in the plural because I originally studied in Kwanjangnim Kim Young Jong’s school, and Lee Jun Kyu was his Saboem. Kim Hyun was one of the top students there as well. Now, Lee Jun Kyu has his own school, and Kim Hyun has his own school too. So I train at the different places. However, Lee Jun Kyu is my primary instructor. (Kim Young Jong is not teaching HKD right now, he is busy with his chiropractic practice and teaches Ki Gong classes which I used to study under him as well. first 2 dan levels were under the Korea Hapkido Federation. My 3rd dan was from a different organization. My 4th dan will be different too.’ Alain Burrese wrote this!!!”

Here’s what Burrese actually wrote in 2008:

“I refer to instructors in the plural because I originally studied in Kwanjangnim Kim Young Jong's school, and Lee Jun Kyu was his Saboem. Kim Hyun was one of the top students there as well. Now, Lee Jun Kyu has his own school, and Kim Hyun has his own school too. So I train at the different places. However, Lee Jun Kyu is my primary instructor. (Kim Young Jong is not teaching HKD right now, he is busy with his chiropractic practice and teaches Ki Gong classes which I used to study under him as well.)

Anyway, there are a lot of politics involved in HKD like there are in many of the arts. My first 2 dan levels were under the Korea Hapkido Federation, which is one of the biggest federations for HKD. Then my instructors changed organizations, so my 3rd dan was from a different organization. They are now under a different organization, so my 4th dan will be different too. I did not change federations, my instructors did. I could care less about what federation I have a certificate from, I care about my instructors and the relationship I have with them. That's all that matters. I know they are very good men, have taught me so much, and that I will continue to learn from them and respect them for the rest of my life.”

For the record, Burrese’s dan ranks are as follows:

1st Dan (1997), Korea Hapkido Federation (President, Oh, Se Lim)
    2nd Dan (2001), Korea Hapkido Federation (President, Oh, Se Lim)
    3rd Dan (2004), The Corporation Korean Hapkido Federation (President, Park, Keum Sil)
    4th Dan (2008), The Federation of Korea Hapkido (President, Cho, Myung Jin)
    5th Dan (2014), The Federation of Korea Hapkido (President, Cho, Myung Jin)

Burrese’s main instructor left the HKF for the newer organization, and Burrese, being loyal to his instructor, went with him. Whatever the reason for his instructor’s jumping from one group to another, Burrese is not guilty of anything even remotely inappropriate.

Three organizations, through his main instructor. That’s not “scattered” in comparison to Hackworth, and lots of martial artists have similar experiences with ranking due to no fault of their own. Hackworth (Sanders) tries to make a case for shopping for rank, but it simply doesn’t fly. Based on his (their) own history and backgrounds, you would think since Hackworth (Sanders) is making all this up, he (they) would be able to fabricate a better claim…because Richard Hackworth (Bohdi Sanders) is the king of shopping and trading up for rank.

Hackworth, back when he had legitimate credentials, was THROWN OUT of the HKF as the result of the fake rank certificate scandal (which is well documented and undisputable) and began a mad scramble to align and ingratiate himself with groups that would promote him and lend him some sort of credibility. This included acquiring Taekwondo rank from at least one legitimate TKD kwan, and then getting busted to 1st dan for attempting to use that rank to acquire high Kukkiwon taekwondo rank. Let’s ignore the fact that Hackworth knew nothing of, and held no, Taekwondo rank at the time (he has since created his own sound-alike Taekwondo organization, which, I guess, now makes him an authority…as everyone knows, there’s no real money in HKD…TKD pays the bills in most HKD schools in the US). For an amusing account of Hackworth’s shenanigans, I suggest you check out the following link where there is an extensive investigation into Hackworth:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4973

This is all a matter of record. The end result is that eventually the word got out on this guy and after a while he was left with no choice but to fabricate his own organizations and self-award the high ranks he claims. Hackworth’s current martial arts resume is a study in shadiness and includes high rank and titles from:

• United States National Taekwondo Association (President and founder – created by Hackworth himself and not to be confused with the much larger and well-known United States National Taekwondo FEDERATION http://usnta.net/ )
    • Korean Hapkido Federation (claims 8th dan…a tiny organization that should not to be confused with much larger and prestigious KOREA Hapkido Federation, which threw him out…interestingly, there appears to be TWO Korean Hapkido Federations, a tiny group run by some Koreans out of Maryland, and another that appears to be created by Hackworth himself…check out

https://koreanhapkidofederation.wordpress.com/ )

• Korea Chungdokwan Taekwondo Association (claims 8th dan…not to be confused with the plethora of other better known and larger Chung Do Kwan associations, including the late GM Sell’s US Chung Do Kwan… can’t find a web site or any actual info online other than Hackworth’s bio, but based on the info on his web site, this also appears to be created by Hackworth himself…my guess is he abandoned it when he created the USNTA.)

• Korea Yusool Association (claims 8th dan…found a blog site hosted by Hackworth’s media company…so, apparently this was created by Hackworth himself https://yusoolkoreanjujitsu.wordpres...l-association/ )

• World Sword Arts Federation (claims 8th dan…can’t find a web site or any actual info online – the url found on Hackworth’s myriad sites is dead – but based on the info on his web site, this also appears to be created by Hackworth himself)

• TangSooDo MooDukKwan Society (claims 6th dan…curious, since this is one of his groups…must be a typo…site goes to pains to look like a Korean organization, but click the link to Fred Parks’ – a Hackworth student – bio and you find none other than Richard Hackworth smiling back at you http://www.koreatangsoodo.org/?p=1 )

• Korea Hapkido Federation Hae Mu Kwan (the kwan Hackworth registered with the Korea Hapkido Federation – which the KHF later disavowed when they threw him out, thus Hackworth’s current use of the name is in violation of the KHF’s order – http://www.haemukwan.com/wp-content/...ember-form.pdf

So, it turns out that ALL of Richard Hackworth’s current positions, titles, and ranks are self-awarded from organizations that Hackworth created himself, which is easy to find out if you just look. The irony here is that at one point Hackworth had a legitimate 6th dan from the Korea Hapkido Federation and had established his own legitimate kwan – Hae Mu Kwan – through that organization. He could have simply elevated himself to 7th dan through his own kwan (kwan/club rank) and no one would have ever given him crap about it…but instead, he self-destructed because his greed and ego drove him to steal money from Taekwondo and Hapkido instructors and students (the fake rank certificate scandal) and attempt to acquire ranks he never earned in martial arts he never studied.

Well, isn’t that special…

Anyway…the sound-alike branding/marketing strategy at work above…well…I’m just not going to get into that except to say that Hackworth definitely has a thing going on here, and it’s a time-honored and widely used (in business) way to trick people into thinking you’re something you’re not…and Hackworth is absolutely OBSESSED with WordPress. Find one Hackworth site and it leads to a plethora of others…and other organizations. Let’s not forget his other sites/businesses:

http://worldmartialartsradio.com/
    http://worldmartialartstv.com/
    www.youtube.com/worldmartialartstv
    http://worldmartialartsmagazine.com/
    http://www.worldmartialartsmedia.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/wmamedia
    http://www.youtube.com/wmamedia

There are more…MANY more…but after a while I started to get dizzy trying to navigate all of it…isn’t it amazing what you can find if you just do a little Googling?

All the “fly to Korea” stuff in Hackworth’s (Sanders’) rant is ridiculous. If someone wants to buy rank, only an idiot actually flies to Korea to do it. Actually, I’m surprised this is here, and it is one of the things that suggests to me that Sanders is the actual author of this “article.” Most people I know who have talked to Sanders remark that he seems to actually know very little about martial arts, especially since he claims a 10th dan. The whole “fly to Korea” thing is so…80’s, I guess…this is an old timers scam and I rarely hear this about the current generation…anyway…

Burrese does occasionally make trips to Korea, but isn’t it possible that he might be making those trips because his wife is Korean and her entire family lives there? And if Burrese chooses to visit Hapkido people while he’s there, one would think that’s an appropriate and courteous thing to do. No big conspiracy here, and again, there’s simply no need FOR ANYONE to fly to Korea to shop for rank. There are plenty of people – like Richard Hackworth himself (whose history of selling fake rank is well documented) – who are more than willing to sell you rank stateside. My own personal martial arts history includes a number of instances where both Korean and America “masters” and “grand masters” have offered to sell me high dan rank. Like Hackworth (and Sanders – how’s that WBBB certificate you bought working out for ya?) is well aware, it’s just too easy…

And just who the **** is Hud Huddleston?

I’ve never heard of this guy. I doubt anyone has, and Google doesn’t reveal much about this guy. His web site bio at http://www.hwarangmulsul.org/GRAND-MASTER--HUD-.html suggests that he is another one of these self-promoted grand master wanna-be’s operating out of a horse trailer somewhere. Just get a load of that bio and all those “halls of fame” inductions. Yet another “grand master” selling a sound-alike style who has “bought the whole shelf” of awards and accolades. The idea that he is a “highly respected martial arts grand master and influential leader in the martial arts community” is laughable. You actually have to be known to be respected…

His “United States National Grand Masters Federation” is equally suspect and a quick view of this “organization’s” web site at http://nationalgrandmasters.com/ reveals yet more WordPress fakery. I assume the idea that this guy has launched an “investigation” is supposed to have Burrese shaking in his shoes, but the statements attributed to him sound like they were written by a slow ten-year-old coached by a conspiracy theory nut. This is a real gem:

“…have just found a major fraud within the Korean systems in United States and have put on an extensive investigation towards this organization and persons within the Korean martial arts system we have caught lying and creating a con with made up history and stealing information and background of history of other martial arts systems and recognized founders using that background within their bullshit lies…They will be dealt with, with a major fraud investigation and handed over to the proper government agencies.”

Really? And what about this:

“The U.S. Criminal Investigation Services has come on board to help with this one with no mercy on this. This organization is a total disgrace to all Korean systems and all other martial arts systems. We will do everything in our power to take you down with NO mercy, you’re a total disgrace and dishonoring the Korean people and martial arts history.”

Ignoring the fact that martial arts aren’t regulated in any way in this country, and that instructors (and non-instructors claiming to be instructors like Sanders) can pretty much do and say whatever they want (which is why people like Hackworth, Sanders, and now this Huddleston guy are free to do and say what they want as well), I can’t believe that anyone would take any of this seriously. “U.S. Criminal Investigation Services?” What the **** is that? Some made up government task force that is supposed to strike fear in the hearts of martial arts instructors?

I think I just soiled my Spiderman Underoos…

The truth is, beyond actual business fraud, the government could care less about martial arts and who claims or does what.

There’s a bit on rank reciprocity between organizations in here…sigh…regardless of what you might think of the practice, all legitimate organizations do this, and there is nothing wrong with it as long as it doesn’t span styles (i.e. TKD orgs awarding rank to HKD people who know nothing about TKD – i.e. Hackworth). This is funny coming out of Hackworth’s mouth considering how he himself tried to take advantage of it, and how he hurt himself in the process.

There’s also a bit about Burrese’s time in HKD that reveals a severe lack of math skills. FIVE years? Am I reading this wrong? Well, he was a black belt instructor when he showed up at the University of Montana some 17 years ago. I’m not sure how long he was a black belt before that (during his time in Korea), but that suggests to me 18+ years experience as a black belt, during which time he has never stopped training or teaching. Minimum time-in grade promotions would actually make him eligible for 7th dan in a few years, but he is only claiming 5th. Oh! The lack of humility! This is all pretty easy to verify, as should be THIS (if it was actually true):

“But when Burrese claimed to be a martial arts master and a self-defense expert after only 5 years in the martial arts his promotion was refused and he was reprimanded for calling himself a master and an expert after only 5 years of training.”

Really? Reprimanded by whom? Promotion refused by whom? Prove it. Name names and organizations so it can be verified. Since Burrese’s promotions came from his Korean instructor – never directly to Burrese – this is simply made-up bullshit. I wonder what Hackworth’s real rank chronology looks like…

And finally, there are Hackworth’s claims regarding Burrese’s skills and career as a lawyer. First this:

“In an attempt to cover his tracks, Burrese along with several other lowly skilled self-proclaimed Masters tried to start a smear campaign against some of the people at the federation. The individuals that he was trying to slander made a complaint to the Montana Bar Association because of his unethical behavior.”

At what federation? Smeared whom? Who are these other “several other lowly skilled self-proclaimed Masters?” It’s a bit hard to decipher given the poor writing (strange considering that Hackworth and Sanders are self-described “best-selling authors”), but I guess this is a reference to the investigation of Sanders on Bullshido.net. I would love to see this supposed Montana Bar Association complaint, if it actually exists, which my research into the matter reveals it doesn’t (they maintain a list of disciplined attorneys online, and Burrese isn’t on it…he is currently in good standing with the Bar).

And then there’s this:

“His abilities as a lawyer are probably just as weak as his martial arts since he even lost his job as a small time lawyer. A reliable source in Korea said “Burrese then went to Korea and found someone who would sell him a 3rd Dan. He has since made a couple of other trips to Korea and apparently buys a new rank there with ease.” Does this story sound familiar? I guess when you have lawyer’s income you can afford to buy as many martial arts ranks and you want. And you can afford to fly all over the world to get them. Soon, very soon, Alain Burrese will understand that abusing his position as an officer of the court can carry jail time where his weak self-defense skills would leave him the recipient of some very stiff penalties.”

Who is this reliable source in Korea?

It is well known that Burrese resigned his position with the firm he worked for to focus on his martial arts, writing, and speaking career. He simply didn’t care for “lawyering” (there’s no crime in discovering you find being a blood-sucking lawyer distasteful) and didn’t “lose his job as a small time lawyer” (which is intended to suggest he was fired). He left the firm amicably and received a severance package when he left. This and his standing can be easily verified.

And finally, there’s the most clever turn of phrase in Hackworth’s entire rant:

“Soon, very soon, Alain Burrese will understand that abusing his position as an officer of the court can carry jail time where his weak self-defense skills would leave him the recipient of some very stiff penalties.”

Let me translate this…apparently Hackworth’s assertion is that Burrese’s punishment for all these supposed transgressions – if Hackworth has anything to say about it – is to be ass-raped in prison. Am I reading that right?

Too funny.

Well…Hackworth’s entire article is flawed by an erroneous assumption: that Burrese is somehow the mastermind of a smear campaign concerning one Bohdi Sanders, when to the best of my knowledge, Burrese hasn’t lowered himself to engage them even once since Bohdi’s fakery was brought to my attention and I made my original postand exposed Sanders. They (Hackworth and Sanders) are directing their ire at the wrong person…but that’s not surprising given their low…intelligence, I guess.

It’s funny, though…Burrese IS a practicing lawyer, and many of Hackworth’s statements are pure fabrications and actionable as libel (Hackworth might want to consult a lawyer himself). I don’t know if Burrese is willing to wallow in the mud with pigs like these to stand on a principle…but it would be pretty interesting – not to mention, amusing – if he did choose to file litigation. But that begs a question…When it’s all over, what the hell is Burrese going to do with a single-wide trailer house in Florida and a bunch of vanity awards in Colorado?

Okay, Bullshidoin, now that I’ve addressed the points in Hackworth’s “article,” I leave it to you to investigate Burrese and the points in Hackworth’s piece and my rebuttal with all the zeal you applied to the investigations of Hackworth and Sanders. I am certain Burrese will come out the other side as squeaky clean as can be…Hackworth and Sanders on the other hand…

And if he doesn’t?

Well…I’ll eat my hat, out myself on this blog, and post pictures of myself on leaping naked over the fire pit in my front yard with peacock feathers sticking out of my butt…Promise!

Though I’m in my 50’s and not in the best shape as of right now…so you really don’t want to see that!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hooters_richard.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	16790  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hackworth.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	16791  

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2015 10:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hackworth (Sanders) re-write their article...

So, apparently Richard Hackworth (Bohdi Sanders) are using my rebuttal as an opportunity to improve their smear article. Well, at least they know what to do with good writing criticism when they get it...

Of course, the bullshit gets deeper and deeper while they attempt to cover their tracks on some of the more libelous and actionable stuff...even going as far as to change the title...I don't know, "Paperback Bad-Ass" had a better ring to it...

Obviously these guys are too stupid to consider that the myriad versions of everything thing they do is being documented...you can't save yourself now...

I love the addition of the first paragraph...but what it should really say is: "Hi...I'm Richard (Bohdi) and I am an asshole, but in order to cover my ass legally, I'm going to completely re-write this article and pretend to be a journalist with a thousand WordPress sites and axes to grind, and I'm going to pretend that I'm not doing this to amuse myself and get even with Alain Burrese for some imagined slight, in spite of the fact that I once called his wife a whore and that I probably deserve all the public ridicule I get from all legitimate martial arts circles for being a thief and a fraud and for having impossibly skinny forearms for a Hapkidoist and absolutely the tiniest chin and worst hair in the Great State of Florida which is a state well known for its genetically abnormal teeth, chins, and hair."

Part two, where Hackworth goes after Burrese's military record, is pretty tacky...and suggesting Burrese is in some sort of violation of the Stolen Valor Act...well...military guys are funny about that sort of thing, those sorts of accusations...which Hackworth should know full well as a former military guy himself...hmmm...I have a high-ranking military acquaintance who has offered to look into Hackworth's military records...I wonder what that might reveal? Anyway, anyone who knows Burrese knows he wasn't an angel or model soldier during his military career...reading part two was pretty much two minutes of my life I can never gen back...Damn You Richard Hackworth and Bohdi Sanders! Damn You to HELLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Anyway...here's the new version of their article:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

https://freemartialartsarticles.word...y-part-1-of-6/

Paper Tiger – The Alain Burrese Story Part 1 of 6
    Posted on May 1, 2015
    Paper Tiger – The Alain Burrese Story Part 1 of 6

Hapkido Master Alain BurreseThe information being gathered here is part of my research as a journalist and will appear in future articles for martial arts industry publications. I think that it is important to point out that I am legally allowed to do this research as a reporter and writer for an entertainment publication. To do so otherwise would be to perform a private investigation without a license which carries severe criminal penalties. Or it may be considered “Stalking” which is also illegal and can carry prison time in all fifty states if convicted. Anyone who is not a writer or reporter would be ill-advised to do such public posting and publishing. But as an Attorney Mr. Burrese should be aware of these facts. Nothing here is meant to be malicious. Only a publicizing of the facts surrounding this individual.

The story of Alain Burrese reads like a science fiction novel. The keyword here being fiction as much of his claims are just completely imaginary. So let us begin:

Attorney Alain Burrese, upon inquiry you will find that this “internationally known self-defense instructor”, as Burrese likes to describe himself, has a very unique (and very questionable) background.

Information from his own websites tell us the following. According to Master Attorney Alain Burrese he has training in:
    • Taekwondo
    • Karate
    • Boxing
    • Qigong
    • Hapkido

His self-awarded titles include:
    • Master (has not attended a Master’s Course)
    • Self-Defense Expert (who has never defended himself or anyone else)
    • Author (self-publish by a company that he owns: Aiki Productions)
    • Qigong Expert

You may also find it interesting that this “World Renowned Expert” doesn’t own a school but teaches a handful of students at a gym in Montana. His YouTube channel is considered by many legitimate Hapkido masters to be a source of great comedic entertainment. He produces the most unintentionally funny videos on martial arts secrets and topics such as:

• How to carry your purse
    • Drink Water
    • Watch out for sharks and jellyfish on the beach

Alain Burrese has many skeptics in the martial arts and self-defense community since his claim to be a 5th Dan in Hapkido comes after a short time of training compared to the official requirements in respectable Korean based organizations. In an article written by Burrese he trained under the following list of completely obscure and unknown teachers. (It is odd to drop names in an article that no-one has ever heard of. Just an indication of his personal delusion.)

In an article formerly published on his own website; Attorney Alain Burrese says:“I refer to instructors in the plural because I originally studied in Kwanjangnim Kim Young Jong’s school, and Lee Jun Kyu was his Saboem. Kim Hyun was one of the top students there as well. Now, Lee Jun Kyu has his own school, and Kim Hyun has his own school too. So I train at the different places. However, Lee Jun Kyu is my primary instructor. (Kim Young Jong is not teaching HKD right now, he is busy with his chiropractic practice and teaches Ki Gong classes which I used to study under him as well. first 2 dan levels were under the Korea Hapkido Federation. My 3rd dan was from a different organization. My 4th dan will be different too.”

It is highly unusual for a Master of any style to have each black belt rank come from a different organization. This may be because of his habit of price shopping. It is pretty easy to fly to Korea and buy a black belt. If you can’t earn it, buy it. If you can’t find a Korean to sell you a rank you can always fly your own Korean back to Korea to make the presentation so that you can claim to have been promoted in Korea by a real live Korean. This is a very popular trend. The only documentable evidence that Burrese’s instructor even exists are in articles written by Attorney Alain Burrese himself. His next belt, for the right price, may even be a platinum Belt. This is also a brand new trend since no Korean based Hapkido organization issues or recognizes a 10th Dan ranking or a Golden or Platinum belt.

Martial artist flying to Korea to buy their ranks is getting out of control. Highly respected martial arts Grand Master and influential leader in the martial arts community Hud Huddleston has even opened an investigation into Korean martial arts fraud.

He says:
    “United States National Grand Masters Federation have just found a major fraud within the Korean systems in United States and have put on an extensive investigation towards this organization and persons within the Korean martial arts system we have caught lying and creating a con with made up history and stealing information and background of history of other martial arts systems and recognized founders using that background within their bullshit lies…They will be dealt with, with a major fraud investigation and handed over to the proper government agencies. They created a major false identity and history within the martial arts world and public. They continue to make it up as they go and the public is so blind to the bullshit lies and con. The U.S. Criminal Investigation Services has come on board to help with this one with no mercy on this. This organization is a total disgrace to all Korean systems and all other martial arts systems. We will do everything in our power to take you down with NO mercy, you’re a total disgrace and dishonoring the Korean people and martial arts history.”

Self-Proclaimed Self-Defense Expert Attorney Alain Burrese claims to have received his first 2 black belts from the Korea Hapkido Federation and right on this federation’s website it says that they will issue a Dan certificate by nothing more than seeing a copy of another Dan certificate… “1st-3rd Dan – Submitting copies of Dan certificates and detailed history is usually sufficient.” And as we can clearly see that the Author, Attorney Alain Burrese, is certainly good at making up a detailed history.

In an attempt to save money Burrese began shopping around for a new rank to buy with other organizations. But when Burrese claimed to be a martial arts master and a self-defense expert after only 5 years in the martial arts his promotion was refused and he was reprimanded for calling himself a master and an expert after only 5 years of training. In an attempt to cover his tracks, Burrese along with several other lowly skilled self-proclaimed Masters tried to start a smear campaign against some of the people at the federation. The individuals that he was trying to slander made a complaint to the Montana Bar Association because of his unethical behavior.

At the time of the posting of this article I have not been able to verify whether or not he is employed as an Attorney as he claims. More research is being done on this topic now and will be posted here as it becomes available.

A reliable source in Korea said “Burrese then went to Korea and found someone who would sell him a 3rd Dan. He promised to host this Korean Master for a series of seminars around the USA but the seminars have never materialized. He has since made a couple of other trips to Korea and apparently buys a new rank there with ease.” Does this story sound familiar? I guess when you have lawyer’s income you can afford to buy as many martial arts ranks and you want. And you can afford to fly all over the world to get them. Attorney Alain Burrese may someday soon understand that abusing his position as an officer of the court can carry some stiff penalties.

If you like this informative article the be sure to Like and share it will your social media friends and followers. Part 2 coming soon!

The Alain Burrese Story Part 2

Welcome to part 2 of this investigative report about a self defense instructor named Alain Benjamin Burrese.

Attorney Master Alain BurreseAfter seeing so many contradictions in the martial arts career claims of Alain Burrese we made an attempt to verify his many outlandish Military career claims.

Through conversations with various official US Army resources we have gathered this brief information and are awaiting further confirmation.

On his own website he claims to have been an infantryman with the 82nd Airborne at Ft. Bragg and a sniper instructor at the “2nd Infantry Division Scout Sniper School at Camp Casey, South Korea.”

The Army was officially willing to verify ONLY the following:
    1. He was in the Army
    2. He was an infantryman (11B)
    3. He entered service in October 1984
    4. Last shown rank is Specialist (E4) effective December 1988
    5. His ETS (when he was discharged) is shown as August 1993

The information that we have received are a bit incomplete. For example, we cannot confirm his units of assignment or his claim of being a sniper instructor. Given his last recorded rank was Specialist – one step up from the entry level ranks of Private, that claim raises a red flag as most instructors are at least Sergeant, Staff Sergeant or Sergeant First Class. However, again, records seem to be incomplete at the time of posting this report. It is highly unusual for someone to serve over eight years on active duty and only hold the rank of Specialist E-4. This fact alone discredits all of his claims as Sniper Instructor and other such positions that he likes to boast having. We have the highest level of respect for those men and women who faithfully serve our great country. It is a tremendous dishonor to claim military ranks and titles that you did not earn. It is such a dishonor that “The Stolen Valor Act” makes it a federal crime, sometimes punishable by imprisonment. One possibility that would explain his low level discharge rank would be that he was the subject of a rank reduction for a military disciplinary action or misconduct. We will post more information about his Stolen Valor violations as details become available.

Please support this page! Like and share this article to ensure that this type of criminal misconduct does not continue. Thank you for your support!

There's a time to learn, and a time to burn.

Posted On:
    5/12/2015 12:57am

supporting member
     Style: Lots

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that it is important to point out that I am legally allowed to do this research as a reporter and writer for an entertainment publication. To do so otherwise would be to perform a private investigation without a license which carries severe criminal penalties. Or it may be considered “Stalking” which is also illegal and can carry prison time in all fifty states if convicted. Anyone who is not a writer or reporter would be ill-advised to do such public posting and publishing.
    This part is all bullshit.

There is no special legal protection to write whatever you want as a "reporter and writer for an entertainment publication".

Freedom of the press applies to individuals regardless of profession.

Self-publishing without undue government interference is a civil right.

He also doesn't know the first thing about private investigation, because he's obviously never been one. Writing about someone else online is not a private investigation. PIs are required depending on jurisdiction to be licensed and/or bonded if they SELL their services to the PUBLIC. It is a professional license designed to protect the public.

ANYBODY can investigate ANYBODY using public resources, without a license, and write about it as long as it's the truth based on objective reasoning and supporting evidence , and it doesn't violate state or federal privacy laws (some information is protected for obvious reasons).

It's not stalking, either, because if you are a public figure or post information about yourself into the public domain, it can be utilized by anyone to write an opinion or critique. As long as the information is not falsified, or stolen, or personal, and as long as nobody is "offline stalking", it's not much different than writing about Katy Perry or Julio Iglacias.

But no....there is no special license you need, or any that he has working for an "entertainment" publication. The First Amendment and Freedom of Press give you every right you need to self-publish your own research, including that of non-sensitive, non-classified, and otherwise non-secret information.

Watch this:

According to Richard Hackworth's Twitter feed located at:

https://twitter.com/masterhackworth

he is "a Martial Arts Radio Show Host, Taekwondo & Hapkido School Owner, Internet Marketer, Gym Rat, Fitness Expert", living in Clermont, Florida.

Wow I just did a short online investigation of Richard Hackworth, without breaking any laws, without my own PI license active.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/12/2015 1:11am at .

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/12/2015 1:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After reading through Burrese's blog and website, I'd say Bohdi is suffering from "professional" jealousy or something similar.

Burrese actually seems to do martial arts, however, he does post some of the same sort of "warrior" based trite memes (see his blog). Bohdi, on the other hand, doesn't have any physical evidence of martial arts training or expertise, and constantly posts walls of warrior tripe.

I'd say they are not exactly peas in a pod, but there are similarities.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2015 1:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    After reading through Burrese's blog and website, I'd say Bohdi is suffering from "professional" jealousy or something similar.

Burrese actually seems to do martial arts, however, he does post some of the same sort of "warrior" based trite memes (see his blog). Bohdi, on the other hand, doesn't have any physical evidence of martial arts training or expertise, and constantly posts walls of warrior tripe.

I'd say they are not exactly peas in a pod, but there are similarities.
    Yeah...true...but it's mostly a question of sincerity and authenticity...Hackworth and Sanders have none.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/12/2015 1:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MTTKDGUY View Post
    Yeah...true...but it's mostly a question of sincerity and authenticity...Hackworth and Sanders have none.
    I agree, of course. It's just kind of ironic that Sanders/Hackworth latched onto Burrese. It's funny and sad at the same time. They should quit while they are ahead. As you kinda pointed out.

I doubt either of them can afford an attorney to sue anybody. Civil litigation is quite expensive.
    Falling for Judo since 1980