• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 9:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, my roommate and I were bored tonight, so we did some channel-surfing. We came across a sumo tournament on ESPN. There was this one guy name Asashoryu who impressed me. I'm no expert in sumo by any means, but most wrestlers seemed to use brute force and brute force techniques, at least for the most part. This guy, though, seemed to have more technique, almost like Judo. I saw him do a few throws that were like Uchi Mata. He also had great balance and power. The thing is, that he was one of the "smaller" guys at "only" 185cm, 139kg (6 feet, 306 lbs?).

Maybe this guy has a Judo background. I don't know. Either way, it was just cool to see how some of the same principles are used in different arts. In addition to Uchi Mata, for example, I saw what looked very much like wrestlers getting double underhooks, and I saw the other guy sometimes do a "wizzer" (may be another name for it or a different spelling).

Furthermore, while looking up the judo throw (Uchi Mata), I saw some other Judo throws on one of the websites. I was surprised to see some sweeps that look very similar to Silat sweeps.

Here, for example, is Ko Soto Gama: http://www.judoinfo.com/images/nauta/kosogama.gif
    It looks very similar to Sapu Luar.

There were other techniques that seemed similar.

Anyway, I just thought it was cool how many arts seem similar, and many of them seem to use the same principles. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising. I mean, there's more than one way to skin a cat... but not an infinite number. Know what I mean?

Oh, and did I mention that Asashoryu kicked some major fat ass? He's only 22. I feel old. :/ Oh well, at least I can go to the beach without getting harpooned. :D (Don't tell him I said that. Hehehe.)

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 10:10pm

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Couple of things:

1. Asashoryu is Mongolian and his father was apparently a Mongolian wrestling champion. (Asashoryu is the first Mongolian to become a Sumo grand champion.) There are now 3 or 4 Mongolians in the top Sumo division and they tend to use techniques that the Japanese don't. (One of them, Kyokoshuzan, was told a few years ago to lay off the "non-traditional" techniques.)

2. Asashoryu, while a great wrestler, seems to be a dxck. He threw a temper tantrum at the last tournament after Kyokoshuzan beat him (K had taken a big-brother role and had been taking it easy on A in the ring until A made grand champion). The Sumo Association formally reprimanded A after.

Yesterday, Asashoryu and Kyokoshuzan had their first match since the pouting incident. Asashoryu became the first grand champion ever to lose a match due to disqualification (hair pulling). I guess he's still taking things a little personally.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 10:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, man. I'm sorry to hear that Asashoryu is a dic#. Maybe he needs a few losses to give him some humility. Unfortunately, that usually doesn't seem to help people with that kind of attitude. One can only hope.

Thanks for the info, Noodles. How come you know so much about Sumo?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 12:05am

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rashomon -- yeah, I felt the same dissapointment. I still remember the first time I saw Asashoryu fight (a huge upset win) and I thought, basically, holy sh#t who is this guy!? I really liked the first few things I found out about him -- young guy, lightning quick, great balance, tricky, comes from a fighting family and speaks nearly perfect Japanese. I hope his current problem is just a maturity problem he'll grow out of.

I don't really know that much about Sumo, but I live in Tokyo so I pick stuff up here and there. Also, a couple of my friends are *big* fans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 4:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I hope his current problem is just a maturity problem he'll grow out of."

Yeah. It would be hard for most of us to remain humble if we were able to kick that much ass at our sport at such a young age... especially a fighting sport. I sure know I would have had trouble with it. Maybe that's why I've sucked for so long... Maybe it's a karma thing. :D