Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 12:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The average person that comes in can't coordinate two hands doing different tasks at the same time without a lot of thought put into it. Can you write with one hand while typing on a calculator with the other, without constantly looking from one to the other?

Try punching with one hand while you trap and grab/pull with the other. Not nearly as easy as it sounds when your fighting. Every way you can squeeze in an edge with training you do. Muscle memory is an edge in certain cases, every way you can enhance it in those cases is a good thing.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 1:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems like karate is now NOT being considered an efficient combat system anymore.

In my opinion, it still produces some very though fighters, specially contact styles such as uechi-ryu, kyokushin kai and its offshots.

Also, if complemented by good groundfighting skills, it can be very effective.

Do you agree ?
    Why ?
    http://www.christopherscanlon.com/Fighting/Movies/Ettish%20Vid.mpg
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 1:02am

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Being strong is what it used to be all about in karate, and it should be again."

Amen. You need to be strong and coniditioned to be good at Karate. You need to be able to express a lot of power in your strikes and be able to take damage.

Could you see a middle aged soccer mom side stepping an attacker and dislocating his jaw with a reverse punch? She might nukite him in the eye if her accurate is incredible or kick his groin if it's open but her Karate option list is limited. It is limited because she doesn't have the strength to do all the Karate techniques in her arsenal. Karate is geared to strong, young males.

Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 10:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see why people dislike traditional karate blocks, which are really strikes agianst an attacking limb, but a similar movement done in a softer way can be used to redirect that limb, pulling the attacker off balance and laying them open to a counter.

Personally I prefer to look for techniques that don't rely on pure strength to work, as self defence techniques need to work against people who have a size and strength advantage. Not many people get mugged by someone smaller and weaker than themselves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 10:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good point ... it never hurts to be strong yourself as well though :)

Simps

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 1:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there is no good or bad martial art,there is only a good school ,an in-between school,a bad school,and a horrible school.If you caN train at a good school,it dudn't matter if it is Korean,Okinawan,Chinese,or Martian.Having said that,I don't train in my pajamas,I don't kiai,and I won't pay the cost of three month's tuition to take a promotion test.I am too old to wear pajamas in public,and as far as the kiai goes,Im would rather train an art that has the opponent do the screaming!But by all means,if you don't mind training in pj's and you can get good karate instruction,go 4 it!

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    7/12/2003 1:53am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey, our PJ's are good if you wanna train to use clothing and not rip it. I've torn a T-shirt and a pair of jean shorts in JiuJitsu. Gi's are great.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234