Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 12:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems like karate is now NOT being considered an efficient combat system anymore.

In my opinion, it still produces some very though fighters, specially contact styles such as uechi-ryu, kyokushin kai and its offshots.

Also, if complemented by good groundfighting skills, it can be very effective.

Do you agree ?
    Why ?

"Create as a God, command as a King, work as a Slave"

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is just going to lead to "Well, it depends are the school/practioneer, and how they train, blah blah blah"

That's true about any style: Kung Fu, Karate, MMA, ect.

Karate gets a bad rap because one of human nature: Somebody has a bad experience they tell 10 people, somebody has a good experience they only tell 3.

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 12:40pm

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not really.....
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 12:59pm

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "They have not done so with the obvious exceptions of kyoukoshinkai and a few other full contact styles."

WRONG! A myriad of law enforcent agencies here in the U.S. have been using Karate techniques for decades! What do you think the PR-24 (night stick) is based on?

I think Karate gets a bad rap because a plethora of shitty McDojos use the familiartity of it's name to boost sales.

Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 1:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know Judo-Kid, I recall you once saying something along the lines of "karate blocks have been proven not to work in MMA" or something along those lines. Do you remember that? If so, could you elaborate please?

"I do injoy using words like **** **** bitch ho etc."
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 1:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's easy to be good at hand to hand when you got five guns and ten hands

Guns....the fifth range
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 1:26pm

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean no offense to the Karate folks, but to me the depth just isn't there. Karate turns me off! All that point sparring bullshit, board breaking, brick smashing, and 9 year old black belts, etc. Enough already! It seems to me that Karate is going the same way as TKD and becoming a little more sport oriented, and a lot less combat efficient. I know there are exceptions to the rule, and I'm sure there are some Karateka that can kick my ass, but on the whole I feel I'm right.

Some things I don't like about Karate is its obession with blocking and kicking. Also, there seems to be an over abundance of unnecessary movement, and too damn much kata! At least this is what I have seem from my experience.

On another note, the reason Karate was so popular in the 60/70's was because it appealed to the American and Japanese sense of machismo.

Besides, American's just didn't know any better.

I don't agree that Karate is the most efficient combat system. Definitely not, but better than some.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 1:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aren't the blocks designed to stun/break incoming limbs? If someone did them correctly according to Karate theories, they should render the opponent's punching arm useless.

This brings up another question we've already talked about at length. If people can't train a technique to the level it's intended for, is it more their fault--or the technique/theory/system's fault?

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 2:03pm

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good point Xuan. breaking with blocking is kinda tough though.

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 2:40pm

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "it's easy to be good at hand to hand when you got five guns and ten hands"

Ever been pulled over? Do you know what a correction officer does?

"Karate blocks do suck. Even in theory theyre stupid"

The soft deflecting blocks found Goju Ryu Karate are very effective. The harder, more typical Karate blocks are pretty effective against strong, committed attacks.

Against a technician they are garbage. To that end we agree. That is why Karatekas spar!

"All that point sparring bullshit, board breaking, brick smashing, and 9 year old black belts, etc. Enough already!"

Point sparring and 9 year old black belts have nothing to do with real Karate. Karate sparring looks like kickboxing sparring. The road to competency in Karate is a long and difficult expierience. It is impossible for a 9 year old child to show even token competency in Karate. You have to be strong and in shape to pull off even basic Karate techniques. This is impossible for many grown women as well. All respectable Karate schools have an 18+ age requirement to hold a shodan grade.

Tameshiwara, or breaking, is not a focus of Karate. However it is a test of strength and a display of perfect technique. Kyoukushin ,which everyone respects on this forum, is one of the styles that puts a strong emphisis on breaking.

"Some things I don't like about Karate is its obession with blocking and kicking."

I'm not sure what that means. Karate certainly does have an "obsession" with blocking and kicking, as well as sidestepping, punching, elbowing, and kneeing.

"Also, there seems to be an over abundance of unnecessary movement, and too damn much kata!"

Karate styles tradionally are very direct and basic martial arts. A typical Karate technique is side stepping your opponent then curling your hand into a fist and breaking his jaw with a punch.

Kata is an important part of many Karate styles including Kyoukushin, however, like breaking it is only a part in the mosaic of Karate training.

"I don't agree that Karate is the most efficient combat system. Definitely not, but better than some."

Noone is saying that. I think it's a great foundation art, though.

Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast